Two

Skylar's POV

"What happened?" I questioned the moment Alex got back on the line. "Is everything all right? Are you all right? Did someone get killed?"

Alex let out a huff which could've easily passed as a laugh.

"It was the lady next door. Apparently, a shoe sized spider appeared in her yard." He told me.

"Oh my God."

"I know, right. Crazy that she screamed so loud." He sounded nonchalant when I might've been hyperventilating at the thought alone.

"No, that isn't crazy," I exclaimed. "That's horrifying! How would you have reacted if a fucking lizard fell on your face?"

"Well," he stretched it out. "I might've had a panic attack."

"See?" I shook my head and laid down on the bed. "Is she all right, though? Did you kill the spider for her?"

"Um, no thanks." He said.

"Wait, how is there a lady next door to you anyway? You live in a boy's dormitory. Unless..." I trailed off. "You're at Hanna's!"

"No." He sighed. "I'm at my aunt's."

"What? Why?"

"She asked me over for dinner. Lives nearby, you know." He replied. "You know, I called you all evening, hoping you'd come along with me."

I could've almost imagined the sour look he must've been giving me right then.

"Thanks, but I'll pass." I shuddered. "I still get nightmares of her homemade curry."

Alex laughed, then groaned. "Sky, she made the same for dinner."

"Well, I'll pray for you."

"You're the worst."

Since we'd totally gone off-topic, I was almost about to end the call and tell Alex a hearty goodbye, when I remembered his words right before that horrifying scream in my ear.

"Wait, you were telling me something about Blake," I spoke up, holding my arm up for Chicken as she curled up on my side. "What happened?"

I thought Alex hadn't heard me when a moment of silence passed by.

"I don't understand why Caden didn't tell you." He sounded confused.

"Tell me what, Alex?"

"Blake broke out from police custody." He answered.

I frowned at that, surprised and confused and maybe a bit scared.  "What...do you mean?"

"He escaped the prison bars, Sky. And there are officers all around trying to find him." He said. "It was all over the news the whole past week."

Not on the news I watched. Perhaps I should start watching the ones that matter the most.

I sat up and started nibbling on my thumb. "And what about Kevin? Is he gone too?"

"No. Kevin's been moved to a more secure facility, especially since the thing with the trial, you know." He sighed. "And now that Blake's gone missing under their very eyes, I bet they're more alert not to let Kevin out of their sight."

I kept frowning, trying to comprehend any of this. Why hadn't Caden told me? How had Blake even escaped? More importantly, where was he now?

"So what you're saying is that Blake's out there. He could be anywhere right now." I didn't like the sound of it. At all.

"Well..." He trailed off as if letting me brace for something even worse. What could be any worse than this? "They found traces of him here."