Thirteen

Skylar's POV

"It's been three whole days, Skylar," Nova spoke up. "What's the matter?"

I shifted a little on the couch and switched the television's volume up a notch. Trying my hardest to block her out.

When she failed to get a response from me, she walked forward and stepped in front of the old black and white movie that was currently (maybe) amid a plot twist, and that, made me feel more on edge.

"What do you have against me watching the TV?" I demanded, and Chicken purred loudly in response.

Nova sighed out loud. "I don't have anything against that. It's just that you've been acting lifeless for the past three days and it's strangely bothering the fuck out of me."

She wasn't wrong. But she wasn't right either. I wasn't lifeless. And to prove that, I scratched Chicken beneath the chin and let her jump up on my lap.

"See, that's what I'm talking about." She waved her hand at me. "It's either this or your room and you've been skipping classes. I don't remember the semester coming to an end. Or any holidays in near future."

"You," I sighed and fell on my side, face planting into a cushion. "Sound like my mother." I wanted to sleep. But I'd been finding it hard to do just that lately. I didn't want to sleep. No, I wanted something else. I wanted someone else.

"And you sound like you've lost the only meaning of your life."

Something like that, I almost said, then laughed into the cushion. Maybe I really did need Caden more than he ever needed me.

"What happened?" Nova asked and when I felt the couch dipping, I looked up and saw her sitting just in front of me, looking at me expectantly. Like I'd really tell her everything.

"I just don't feel like doing anything." I sat up and shrugged. "I get those days sometimes. Doesn't everyone?"

"You are depressed."

"I wasn't before but your sudden concern is definitely making me a little depressed."

Nova rolled her eyes and her gaze briefly flickered to Chicken as she tried scratching one of Nova's precious cushions. I didn't try stopping my cat.

"Why?" She asked.

"Because we don't ever have heartfelt conversations?"

"No, I meant why have you been cooped up here for days, you idiot."

I glared at her and her cold look mellowed. "Skylar--"

"Because I don't want to," I said.

"Why?"

"Because living my life inside my apartment feels so much better than living it all outside."

"That's the most awful piece of bullshit I've ever heard." She pointed a bright red fingernail at me.

"I love bullshit," I told her. "And I thought you hated red."

Nova sighed again. I was making her sigh a lot.

"Or do you just hate that colour on me?" I added.

Chicken meowed and tried pawing my face.

"Sky. Skylar." Nova spoke out patiently. "I'm trying to be a nice housemate for once, okay? Whatever it is that's bothering you, tell me. Maybe I can help you."

I glanced at her then looked away. "I don't think you can...I think I broke up?" Another soft--pretty sad--laugh left my lips. "I think I broke up with my boyfriend."