Thirty

Skylar's POV

I fell asleep that night sitting under the window in Caden's supposed room, frightened and alone in the dark that I still wasn't able to get used to. Somewhere in between the night, I'd raided the closet which had mostly been bare of any clothes, and it had been a short relief when I'd found one of his worn-out leather jackets in there. I'd put it on before curling back up under the window, because that seemed to be the only way that made the ache in my heart lessen a little. 

I pulled my knees to my chest and sat right there, pressing my back against the wall and staring at the bed in front of me.

He'd been here just the previous night, my head whispered. We'd both been there and I hadn't been alone in this big room, sitting by the corner and wondering why everything had fucked up so majorly. And what if I don't see him again? What if I don't see Alex again either?

Breathing out shakily, I pressed my face into my knees and wrapped my arms around myself. He promised me. There would be a house for us. Just us. We'd live there together, he had said. Wouldn't we? 

Wouldn't we? I thought in silence.

•••••

When I went down to the lounge the next morning, the back of my neck was aching from the uncomfortable position I'd slept in last night. And there was a visible ruckus in the lounge that I became aware of right as I stepped down the last stair--right as I saw something flying my way, and I nearly missed being impaled by it--which happened to be a sharp pocketknife--if Alexis hadn't pulled me out of the way.

The oxygen was knocked out of me when I slammed back into the nearest wall. "Blake!" Alexis snapped as she let go of my arm.

"What?" Blake's head appeared from behind the kitchen counter. The same marble counter that had a handful of knives dumped on it. Knives of almost every size, I realized in horror as I stepped towards the counter. I looked over at Blake and saw him examining a few more small blades before tossing them aside.

"Stop throwing knives around, for fuck's sake." She hissed and snatched one from his hand--one that he was about to toss over the counter and probably stab someone else with.

"What...What's going on?" I asked, casting my gaze around warily. There were pancakes neatly stacked on a plate and then there were a series of guns lining right beside it. I swallowed and took a tiny step back. "What the hell is this about?"

"We've tracked Felix's location." A familiar voice came from behind me.

I turned around and a small smile formed on my lips when I saw Seth standing right there. I hadn't seen him in so long, I realized and a surprised laugh left my lips. "Seth."

"Hey, Sky." He smiled back at me before I got anywhere near hugging him, and when I did, he hugged me back and leaned down, murmuring quietly in my ear, "He will be back, Sky, and he won't want you to be worrying so much." I knew he was talking about Caden, but how was I not supposed to worry?

I pulled away and gave him a somewhat strained, doubtful smile. "How've you been? I've barely seen you or Jesse or Shane around."

He shrugged sheepishly, stuffing his hands in his hoodie pockets, and his dark red curls bounced with the movement. "We've been around." His gaze drifted behind me--to Blake--and I think I understood his hesitation. He didn't want to say too much around Blake.