Chapter Seven

The sound of heavy rain hitting the pavement went unheard along miles of empty streets. It was no one's intent for Pangaea to seem like a ghost town to any visitors who may have shown up today, but it couldn't be helped. No one was willing to stay outside. Who would be? Anyone who did volunteer to leave would also be volunteering to miss out on journalistic history.

The empty streets of Pangaea had one exception; a frenzy of noises and clicks emanated from around the television station. Journalists jumped out of their vans with cameras, notepads, and voice recorders as they scurried over to the door, falling short just behind a red rope. They showed up aggressively, but pulled themselves together when they realized that the men of the hour hadn't arrived yet, but things certainly changed when they did.

A black, hovering car slowed down alongside the curb and stopped just shy of the television studio door. Theo Sage, Pangaea's Greatest Musician, stepped out of the backseat. The flash of the journalists' cameras reflected off the rings that decorated all of Theo's fingers. With a white fur coat draped over his shoulders and his god-like aura touching all nearby souls, Theo Sage adjusted the golden hat on his head and prepared his golden cane for use before he strolled into the television station.

Behind Theo Sage came the Grant Twins, Ethan and Elijah. They stepped out of the same black, hovering car in lab coats, coming straight from the Grant & Grant Industries lab. They waved whimsically at the crowd.

Last but certainly not least, Pangaea's Greatest Politician, Axel DeWitt, stepped out. He smiled brightly and waved.

Everyone was present. Someone sent for Pamela Watson.

The standby image of the station's logo sat as the default screen to those who tuned in early. Many had found themselves staring at it intensely as they waited for the program to begin, including Andrew. His Long-Range Radio Cube gave him a clear view of the standby screen. However, he was not interested in the interview that had claimed the attention of all other Pangaeans. Today was an important day to him for a much different reason.

Andrew sat in the waiting room of a building in the middle of the university watching Adelyn, the receptionist, filing away what he could only assume were important documents. He had only pulled out his Radio Cube so that he could stop bawling his fists and hurting his fingers. He didn't expect to actually catch the broadcast, but the standby screen disappeared and the Good Morning Pangaea theme began to play.

After the logo had flashed on the screen and the music faded away, the interview began. Andrew wasn't in the market to watch the interview at all, but he was remarkably impressed by the lineup. These four men, sitting side by side, it seemed... complete.

"Andrew Valentine." Adelyn called out. Andrew wasted no time tapping his Radio Cube shut. His long wait was over. He marched up to her desk. He thought he must have seemed insane. It was clear that he was running on fumes and caffeine. He'd been up for twenty hours, not counting the thirty seconds that he had dozed off as he rode his bike here. The hyper sensitivity triggered by his lack of sleep made him shiver as Theo Sage's music played lightly over a radio on Adelyn's desk.

"How can I help you, Andrew?"

"Have you seen Professor Riley?" Andrew asked. Adelyn cocked a brow.

"I haven't, no." She said. Andrew growled and she flinched. "Are you okay?"

"I'm exhausted." Andrew explained. "I've found myself in a conundrum that only Professor Riley can solve, but he seems to have disappeared off the face of the planet."

"If it's about time off, then you can fill out a slip up here and I can process it for you."

"You are too kind." Andrew said. "Unfortunately, my problem is much more complicated. Today is my last day." Adelyn couldn't help but ask.

"Last day for what?"

"My last day in Pangaea," Andrew began, "before I must depart for my thought experiment. However, I contacted my hosts and found that the order in which they expect my presence is far from what I planned. In the current order, I stand to gain nothing to add to my data. If I choose to set off in the order planned for me, I would have to restart my experiment entirely. If I choose not to take the trip, then I must wait a year to take it again."

"...Oh."

"Oh Adelyn, I shouldn't bother you with this." Andrew apologized. "I'm just searching for an explanation. But the only man who can explain it to me has disappeared."

"Maybe he's sick?" She guessed.

"He's not." Andrew assured her. "There's an entire department of people who know exactly where he is, but it seems that they've been sworn to secrecy. Intentionally."

"...Why?"

"Wouldn't we all like to know." Andrew mumbled. "Tell me dear, when is the last time you saw Professor Riley? More specifically, was he with anyone who isn't employed here? I've hit a roadblock with this crowd."

Adelyn thought hard about it. So many people passed through the lobby of the building every day, she hadn't put too much effort into recognizing faces. She did, however, recall being smitten when the Grant Twins came strolling through just about a week ago. She remembered combing through her hair with her fingers and trying to adjust her seating arrangement to project her best side in the direction of the twins and, unintentionally, in the direction of Professor Riley. The twins didn't notice her at all, but Professor Riley made a very sweet remark about how nice she looked in her orange dress.

"I think the last time I saw him," she began, "was when he came in with the Grant Twins." Her eyes widened as she said it and she smiled. "They are so cute!"

"Yes, yes," Andrew agreed, "they are dreamy." He checked his watch. "Have you heard about the Pamela Watson interview today?"

"I have."

"How long will it last?"

"It's supposed to be a three hour interview." She explained. "My roommate is recording it for me. I'm gonna watch it when I get home at five. You're welcome to come over."

"It sounds magical, but I must make my decision well before five and I might not be in Pangaea by then. I will regret missing it." Andrew tucked his Radio Cube into his pocket and began to walk off.

"Where are you going?" Adelyn asked.

"The television studio." Andrew said. "Ethan and Elijah Grant are my last hope to save my experiment."