Chapter Five

Cole's conversation with Carl had left him feeling uneasy. He thought he had time to ponder over the mysterious encounter given the length of the train ride, but the added feature of the train's Game Night exacerbated his uneasy feelings. In the lounge of the train-car where Game Night was held there was a photo of Sharon Cassidy, commemorating the Game Nights she used to enjoy with her husband. What were these people up to?

Despite the fear that their train tradition brought him, he continued to attend, especially given the fact that there wasn't much else to do on a moving train for twelve hours a day. On the final Game Night before they were set to reach their last destination Henry, the conductor, insisted that they play some trivia.

"Political trivia was her favorite." He said, no doubt referring to Sharon Cassidy. Cole was immediately disinterested. Politics had sort of ruined his life, but Carl wanted to play and Cole wanted to be with Carl. He couldn't quite explain it, but there was something more than a train car that kept them together. Something invisible, but strong.

After the trivia escapade, everyone retreated to their train cars for one last night of sleep. Cole didn't remember going to sleep, but he did remember being woken up because of the anger that boiled inside of him when a pair of hands started shaking him. When Henry said this was their last night of sleep, Cole had wrongly assumed that he meant their last, full night of sleep. Cole growled as he opened his eyes, but his anger cooled when he saw Carl smiling back at him.

"...What?"

"We're here." Carl said, his smile getting wider. "Come on. I saw Axel on the platform. Come say hello."

And the fear was back. Cole sat up and stretched. He stood up and got his bag from the overhead compartment and followed Carl down. As he and Carl made their way out, Cole could hear Henry outside of the train being dramatic again.

"Final stop! All passengers must exit!"

Cole and Carl stepped off the train together and as they did, Cole checked his watch. Three in the morning. Amazing.

Carl's eyes darted up and down the platform and when it seemed like his eyes locked onto something, Cole followed his gaze. Two men standing at the other end of the platform were staring back.

Jack Richards and... Robert Kennedy?

Cole Ryan saw what Sharon Cassidy saw.

Axel smiled and Carl smiled back. The engineer attempted to make a dash for him, but Cole grabbed his arm and yanked him back. Axel stopped smiling. He started making his way over as Jack Richards strolled slowly behind him, his arms crossed behind his back. Cole pushed Carl behind himself.

"Who are you?" Cole asked as Axel stopped in front of him. He was ignored.

"Carl?" Axel called out as he stepped forward a bit more and extended a hand. Cole shoved him and in return Jack Richards introduced the barrel of the pistol he'd hidden behind his back to Cole's face. They locked eyes and neither of them wavered. Carl panicked.

"No, please don't, he's my friend!" Carl begged. "Axel, please stop him!"

Axel turned to Jack Richards and Cole and observed the situation.

"These two," Axel began with a smile, "are going to be very good friends."

After hearing this, both Jack and Cole cocked a brow at Axel. Jack pulled his gun back, but the two continued to stare one another down, even when Carl started tugging at Cole's sleeve.

"What, Carl?"

"Can I introduce you?"

"...Sure."

"This is Axel DeWitt." Carl said as he gestured to Robert Kennedy. Axel smiled at Cole and looked to Jack.