The Monster, Not the Victim

Being immortal is a strange thing. You never get older. And you never get younger, of course. No forward, no backward.  It's like you're just stuck. You watch things change around you as you remain the same.

I pondered that thought as I watched yet another leaf fall from a tree outside of the Cullen's house. One of the many trees that surrounded the Cullen's house had turned brown, and was slowly losing its leaves. Autumn was here. Or, at the very least, it was almost Autumn. I wasn't really sure what day it was. Time seemed irrelevant to me. All I ever seemed to do was sit and worry anyway.

Though only a few days had passed since I had discovered that my father was a vampire, it felt like an eternity. I had constantly kept myself glued to the window, watching the trees outside of the Cullens house. As irrational as it was, I was waiting for him. At any second, I was certain that my father would emerge put from the line of trees. But even with how  vivid my imagination could be, I had no idea what my father would do to us. And that scared me even more.

So I didn't leave. My days and nights had been spent staring out of the window, guarding my siblings from danger in the only way that I could. Despite the anxiety that made my chest feel heavy, I smiled as a huge wolf stepped out of the trees.

Seth. He had come to visit me daily, even though I had been in an awful mood. He was good at distracting me, which I appreciated, even though it forced me away from my task of staring endlessly at the trees. And when I'd get angry and allow my fears to control my temper, Seth would just smile at me and sit in silence, fine with not talking if I didn't want to. It was as if he was able to mold himself around my personality and force me to get along with him.

Within seconds, Seth had ducked behind a bush to shift back into his human form. He grinned up at me and came to stand below me. I slid he window open for him, and then took a few steps backwards. He scaled the ivy that was growing up the side of the house with ease, jumping into the window with the ease of an Olympic gymnast. The first time Seth had done that, I'd watched anxiously. It seemed impossible that the ivy could support all of his body eight, or that he could send his large body flying through a small window without shattering the glass. Still, he managed to do it daily, since he refused to take the time to use the stairs.

"Hey, Lex!" Seth still had that big, goofy grin on his face. Despite myself, I giggled, amazed that he always seemed to be so hyper and excited. After a few seconds my smile faded, and I dutifully positioned myself back in front of the window. "Hi, Seth".

Just as he had the past few days, Seth plopped down beside me on the window seat, staring outside with me. "How long are we gonna do this for?" Seth was speaking in a whisper, and I rolled my eyes at him. "This isn't a library", I whispered back. "We can talk normally". Seth didn't respond, staring at my face for a few seconds. Eventually, I looked away, but Seth made a whining sound. "Stop, I was looking at something".

I stubbornly kept my eyes facing the window, until Seth grabbed my chin and turned me to look at him. Making  a face at him, I attempted to twist away. For the fist time I noted how strong Seth was. He didn't even have to flex his hand to keep me in place, despite the fact that I was a vampire. Rather than continuing to pull against him with no results, I huffed and held still as he finished his appraisal.

"You know you have little specks of blue in your eyes? It stands out against the golden color." Finally releasing me, Seth leaned back as he looked at me. "I've never noticed that before".  I actually hadn't noticed that. Maybe our original eye color remained a little bit after we were turned. 

Shrugging my shoulders, I looked back out the window.  The trees were still just as boring and brown as they had been just a few seconds prior. And still no sadistic vampire in sight.