~ nine ~

After explaining my past with my parents and the visions from the sword to him, Kili rose from his kneeling position and let down his hand for my own aid

After explaining my past with my parents and the visions from the sword to him, Kili rose from his kneeling position and let down his hand for my own aid. I gently took his gesture and stood up myself. He took my hands and looked at me with a relaxed stare.

"I am sorry for your past. You deserve none of this. But I can tell you this Adina, you have a family here. We will protect you at all costs. Dry those beautiful eyes of yours. You have much to smile about," he said squeezing my hands. He was right, I even knew my travel companions better than I knew my parents. That's what matters. Now all I can do is fight for them harder and avenge the fight my parents couldn't give.

We stood on the bridge with the yellow glow of the sun surrounding our figures. We spoke more of our families, our proud moments, and moments we less desired to speak of. He listened to everything I had to say. He didn't interrupt nor did he show that he was uninterested.

The sun set behind us, leaving the stars shining above. I realized then that it didn't matter how dark or light our atmosphere was, Kili's smile was brighter than any sun, moon, or star. He made it so easy to smile back.

He presented his arm to me. I linked my own through. We walked back to the dining hall. Everyone had left except the dwarves, who had made a campfire. They were laughing and singing just as they had done in the past. Bombur was sitting on an old table, eating everything in sight as usual.

"Oi, Kili have a look at this," Bofur laughed. He picked up a sausage and threw it in Bombur's direction. He caught it without a second thought. In consequence, the rickety table beneath him snapped like a twig, leaving Bombur rolling on his back. Laughter erupted the room as Bofur reveled in his master plan. I let out a snicker...how could I not? Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Gandalf, Thorin, Bilbo, Balin, and Elrond moving in a small cluster. There seemed to be an intense conversation taking place.

"I'll be right back," I said, wandering away from Kili. He nodded in understanding and returned to the rest of the dwarves. I approached Bilbo from behind and laid my hand on his shoulder. He jumped.

"Adina!" he yelled softly. "What are you doing?"

"I am wondering the same from you. What's going on?"

"None of your concern," Thorin said with annoyance.

"Sorry Sir, no disrespect, but I have sacrificed much joining you on this journey as it is. I believe it is my business as well," I snapped back.

"Fine! You may stay. What harm can be done." Gandalf finalized.

The others looked as if they were going to protest but Gandalf shot them down with a stare. They spoke no more.

"Now for goodness sake, Thorin, show Lord Elrond the map! He is one of the very few who can read it!"

Thorin paused and looked around. Finally, he pulled out a folded piece of brittle paper and began to hand it to Elrond.

"Thorin, no!" Balin protested, but his hand was pushed away by Thorin. He handed the sacred paper to Elrond.

"Erebor? What interest do you have in this map?" Elrond asked, examining the map. Thorin attempted to speak but was immediately cut off.

"Academic purposes," Gandalf lied. "You never know what you may find in these sacred texts. You still read ancient dwarvish, do you not?"

Elrond held the paper up to the moonlight, and muttered, "Cirth Ithil."

"Moon runes. Of course. An easy thing to miss," Gandalf scoffed.

"Well, in this case, that is true; moon runes can only be read by the light of a moon of the same shape and season as the day on which it was written," Elrond explained. I watched as Elrond adjusted the paper in the beam.

"Can you read it?" I asked. He lead us outside to a crystalline table that was illuminated by the moon. We stood upon a cliff surrounded by waterfalls with a clear starry night engulfing the sky.

"Fate is with you Thorin Oakenshield, the same moon shines upon us tonight. It was written 200 years ago on a Midsummer's Eve by the light of the crescent moon," A ray of moonlight hit the table from above, revealing ancient runes. "Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the keyhole."

"Durin's day?" Bilbo asked.

"It is the start of the dwarves' new year. When the last moon of autumn and the first sun of winter appear in the sky together," explained Gandalf.

"Summer is passing. Durin's Day will be upon us soon," Thorin said in a slight panic.

"We still have time." Balin tried to calm Thorin.

"Time? Time for what?" I asked. Bilbo and I looked at each other, wondering what had been kept from us on this journey.

"To find the entrance. We have to be standing at exactly the right spot at the right time. Then, and only then, may the door be opened," Balin rambled.

"Ah, so this is your purpose. You wish to enter the mountain?" Elrond sighed.

"What of it?" Thorin grumbled as he ripped the map away from the stone and Elrond's grasp.

"Some would not deem it wise." We all looked at Elrond with confused expressions. "Gandalf, you are not the only guardian that watches over Middle Earth."

The dwarves became annoyed and exited without saying anything. Bilbo and I followed, but Gandalf stayed. We returned back to the campfire and I sat myself next to Kili.

"Where did you head off to?" he asked.

"Elrond read the map for us. We know how to open the mountain," I whispered. "Do not speak much of it." He nodded in understanding.

"How are you feeling?" He asked, wrapping a scratchy yet unusually cozy blanket around me. I rested my head on his shoulder.

"Better. Much better." I looked up at him and smiled. "All thanks to you of course."

I gave him a slight nudge. He chuckled and hugged me tighter. I watched the embers dance and spark in the flames. My mind began to wander back to the meeting I had just witnessed. I thought more of what Elrond told us about the mountain. Who were the other guardians of Middle Earth?