~ thirty one ~

After Bilbo's figure disappeared from my sight, I made my way down the same stairs Bofur took

After Bilbo's figure disappeared from my sight, I made my way down the same stairs Bofur took. Once I reached the bottom, I started towards my and Kili's room, but I didn't get too far before I ran into Fili. He was sitting on a piece of rubble that had been chipped away from the kingdom's wall by Smaug. His hands were folded and his head rested atop them. His eyes were dark as if some thought had been troubling him.

"Burning the midnight oil, Master Dwarf?" I laughed, punching him in the arm.

"Trouble sleeping." he sighed. "Thought you'd be well asleep by now, where's Kili?"

"He checked out a while ago." I sat down next to him. "What's keeping you up?"

Silence fell over for a moment before he turned to me with teary eyes. "Thorin." His voice cracked as the word escaped his mouth. "He's...gone, and-and I don't know what to do."

I wrapped my arms around him and leaned on his shoulder. "Fili...I don't know if there's anything you can do."

His face fell to his hands, sobbing. "He was such a great man. I aspired to rule just like him, little did I know this is the king in him."

I released him from my embrace, still leaving my arm wrapped around his back. "No no no, you can't think like that. The king in him is lost...all we can do is help him find himself. Then, and only then, he will rise to be our righteous, honorable king."

He turned and pulled me into a hug. "Thank you, Adina." He pulled away, resting his heavy hand on my shoulder. "You are good for Kili." He gave me a small smile. "When he's reckless, you keep him down to earth. When he's stubborn and upset, you help him see the light. I couldn't ask for a better person to take care of my brother." Fili patted and squeezed my shoulder. "I've never seen him so incredibly happy and honestly, he's also maturing...because he sees a future with you of course. He wants to have the ability to build it." He took my hands in his. "Thank you for saving my brother. He means the world to me."

I pressed a small kiss on his cheek. "Of course, Fili. Thank you for taking such good care of him. He has the best brother anyone could wish for and he wouldn't be the man he is without you." I squeezed his hands then stood from my seat. "You need rest Fili. We've got quite a day at our heels."

"As do you. Goodnight, Adina."

"Goodnight, Fili."

I turned from where I stood and continued to walk down a hallway. Our chambers were located at the end of the long hall. I twisted the knob and entered the room. There, I found Kili sitting on the bed, hunched over with his face in his hands.

I threw my sword and belt to the ground. I raced over to his side and kneeled down in front of him and gazed up at face with worried eyes. I rested my hands on his knees. "Is everything alright, love?"

He slowly raised his head and tried to nonchalantly brush away tears. He gave me a faint nod, but in no way was it convincing.

My brows furrowed in concern. I slowly stood and cupped my hands on his cheek. I tilted my head and lifted his chin, trying to find his eyes. They were droopy and dull, much like Fili's. It was as if he hadn't slept in days. "Please... let me help you."

His eyes locked with mine as one word escaped his mouth. "War," he whispered. "Never in my life did I think it would be this way. I always thought it to be noble and heroic...to serve your family and home. But not once have I felt like I've done the right thing. I've already lost my uncle and we haven't even stepped onto the battlefield yet." His body stiffened, strained words flowed from his mouth. "This company is my family." His shaky hands closed over mine. "You are my family. I can't lose anyone else."

I squeezed my hands over his, trying to stop them from trembling. "You speak as if we will not see past this war." I sat next to him on the bed.

A soft laugh came from his lips as a tear streamed down his face. He bit his lip and looked up to the ceiling. "Adina, I hope you never lose your ability to find the good in any and every troubling situation." He paused. "But I'm afraid we are running into a battle where we are severely outnumbered. At this point, I believe my heart is bracing itself for the worst...for loss."

I reached into my cloak pocket and pulled out the Rune stone. My eyes were becoming hot with tears. "Do you remember this?" I asked, holding it up to him. "It's a promise...and I swear to you Kili I will keep this promise. We will return to each other...always," I sobbed. "You just have to keep having faith. Just like how you once told me...have faith."

A faint smile curled over his face. "I will do my very best." He lifted his hand up to my face, using his thumb to stroke my damp cheek. "For my people, for my home, and for you, my love." He leaned closer to me. Our faces hovered over each other.

I almost fell into a trance. My eyes gazed at him with endless admiration. "I love you and I will never stop loving you. No matter how mountainous the terrain ahead."

His eyes were now soft and warm. They have regained their golden, honey glow. "And I'll love you for as long as the stars shine bright in the sky."

He softly pressed his lips onto mine. I pulled him closer, pushing my body against his. Our lips began overlapping, making the next kiss even more passionate than the last. His fingers ran through my hair while my arms snaked around his neck. My heart fluttered at his touch. There was no separation between our two figures. My weight carried me back to the bed but I kept him close, pulling him down with me.

He pushed away for a moment and propped himself up onto his extended arms that surrounded my body. His stare fell deep down into my eyes, burning through my soul. He picked up a hand and brushed the hair away from my face. "You're everything I could ever want." He kissed me again. "You're everything I need." His hands brushed under my tunic, gliding his fingers across my bare skin. He kissed my neck a few times before pulling away again. "Is this okay?"

"I couldn't imagine spending this night any other way." I paused and brushed away his bangs that hid his eyes. "I couldn't imagine finding a more perfect person to spend my life with."

Kili looked down at me a cheeky grin. "Promise?"

I kissed his nose. "I promise."

That night belonged to us. There wasn't a need for any other thought. All that mattered was that I was with him. We needn't worry of war, for tomorrow had not yet come. I love him beyond words...beyond imagination, and I promised him that night that our love would be bound forever. I intended to keep that promise.