~ thirty five ~

"Fili, take your brother

"Fili, take your brother. Scout out the towers. Keep low and out of sight," Thorin commanded. "If you see something, report back, do not engage. Do you understand?"

The two brothers nodded in understanding but their eyes flickered with the slightest bit of fear. My heartbeat quickened. I couldn't let Kili out of my sight, it was too dangerous. I needed to stay close to him.

I began to follow Kili and Fili. "I'll go with them," I finalized to Thorin.

He grabbed my arm, stopping me in my tracks. "No," he said sternly. "We need you and your blade here if Azog returns."

I opened my mouth to protest but I was distracted when I felt Kili's fingers interlink with mine. He took a step closer to me and quickly pressed a hard kiss to my lips. I kissed him back, pulling him tight to me.

He pulled away and gave my hand a squeeze. "I will return to you," he whispered. His watery eyes glistened.

I took a deep breath. "Be safe." My words shook as they exited my mouth.

He nodded and pushed his lips together to form a smile, attempting to settle my worrying. "Always."

They turned and started towards the crumbling, stone tower. My heart burned as I watched him leave me and disappear within the stone passages. Normally I would've adored that kiss, but it felt different. It felt like goodbye.

_______

Several moments of silence had passed. The pace of my heart didn't slow at all. If anything, it picked up every time a dreadful second ticked away. I tried to slow my breathing but it was useless.

"Where is that orc filth?" Dwalin muttered impatiently.

I heard footsteps approaching as, panted breaths followed. I swiftly stood to my feet and unsheathed my sword, directing it at the direction the noise came.

"Thorin!" The voice cried. "Adina!"

I then recognized the voice. "Bilbo?"

Bilbo stumbled out of a tunnel. "You have to leave here. Now!" He pleaded through breaths. "Azog has another army, attacking from the north. This watchtower will be completely surrounded, there'll be no way out!"

"We are so close. That Orc scum is in there. I say we push on," Dwalin stated.

"No! That's what he wants," Thorin snapped back. "He wants to draw us in. This is a trap." His eyes widened with horror. "Find Fili and Kili, call them back."

Dwalin placed a hand on Thorin shoulder. "Thorin, are you sure about this?"

"Do it. We live to fight another day."

"I'll retrieve them," I called back to them, already making my way to where the brothers disappeared.

Above me, I heard a noise come up from the towers, followed by slurs of orcish. My heart stopped as I slowly raised my head, frightened by what my eyes may find.

𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐎𝐈𝐂 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐒 // 𝘬𝘪𝘭𝘪 𝘥𝘶𝘳𝘪𝘯On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara