~ thirteen ~

The light and dark fur of the wargs flashed around us

The light and dark fur of the wargs flashed around us. We were surrounded once again. They snarled and growled, forcing us to move closer and closer to the forest.

"Take refuge in the trees!" Gandalf ordered. We all dashed to the low hanging branches that were within our reach. I found a grip on a somewhat thick branch, enough to support my body weight. I found footing on the trunk and hoisted myself up. Kili followed behind me. Below Kili's feet, two wargs jumped and clawed the sturdy oak. The warg barely hooked the strap on Kili's boot. He lost his grip and began to slide closer to death.

"Kili! No!" I screamed. I slid my hand down my right bootleg and pulled out a switchblade that I had saved for a situation such as this. I unlatched the blade and flipped it out. With a simple flick of the wrist, I released the knife. It spun at an intense speed until it connected with the center of the warg's head. The beast dropped. Kili looked at me with wide and thankful eyes. He climbed until he was with me at the very top. The wargs continued to scratch and tear at the base of the tree, it was the only line of defense we had left.

I scanned the trees to locate my travel mates to analyze their conditions. They were all struggling just the same, keeping a firm hand on their surrounding branches while their trees shook. I was in the middle of searching, when my eyes came across the abhorrent monster I recognized as the murderer my parents: Azog the Defiler.

Hot tears flooded my eyes. I clenched my teeth and fists. I had no control of the anger that built up inside me. My blood boiled with rage. The urge to make him feel the pain he inflicted on my parents could not be ignored. I began to make my way across to neighboring branches from other trees so I could get closer. I felt a tight grip on my wrist. I knew who it was. I looked to find Kili on the other end.

"What are you doing, Adina? You're going to get yourself killed!"

"H-he's down there Kili" I stuttered. He followed where my finger was pointing to find Azog. "He must pay!"

Kili tightened his grip and looked deep into my bloodshot eyes, pleading, "You will receive no revenge if you die first! You are a skilled fighter, but not when the odds are against you. Orcs are ruthless and there are dozens. Please, Adina."

Tears began to fill his eyes as well. I paused for a moment, Kili was right. It would be foolish. I nodded my head and remained on the branch.

"Kili! Adina!" Gandalf called. He launched a couple of flaming pine cones at us. We both caught them, knowing exactly what to do. We aimed for the closest orc or warg and barreled it down on their heads. The other dwarves did the same. It wasn't long before the whole forest was ablaze. The wargs and orcs took off to avoid burning. We felt victorious until we felt snapping below. The trees swayed and fell on top of each other. The whole forest toppled, half of the trees hanging off the cliff. Several dwarves dangled over the cliff, clutching to the branches for dear life.

Azog reveled in this destruction. I watched him smile with maleficence. He spoke a slur of orcish to Thorin but I could not understand. In response, Thorin arose from the flaming branches and marched to Azog. He unsheathed his sword and held his oak shield high. Azog gave his warg a kick and they took both off at Thorin. The warg leaped off a rock and collided with Thorin, knocking him onto his back. I watched, letting the anxiety overcome me. Thorin stood again but Azog had already retaliated to take another swing. Azog's mace connected with Thorin's chest, putting him back on the ground again. The warg came over the top of Thorin's defeated figure. Its enormous jaws clamped down on Thorin's arm and shoulder repeatedly. He groaned in pain.

The warg tossed Thorin's almost lifeless body to another rocky ledge. Azog looked over to another orc behind him and said something. The orc swung his legs off his warg and took a curved blade in his hand. He slowly walked over to Thorin and stood over him. The weapon hovered over his throat. Before the orc could end Thorin's life, Bilbo flew from the side and tackled the executioner. While taking a better grip on his sword, Bilbo repeatedly stabbed the orc. He stood from his accomplishment and held his sword with the blade pointing at Azog. He stood there, guarding Thorin.

"I'm sorry, I have to go now," I said, not even bothering to look back and took off down the tree trunk to Bilbo. With no hesitation, I brought my sword back and then forward. I caught the snout of Azog's warg and then, with another swing, I slashed the Defiler's leg. His club like hand swung and collided with my jaw. I fell back to the ground. Behind me, dwarves continued to fight off the enemies until they were drawn off. My jaw was tender and my leg almost gave out but I stood to finish the fight.

From the dark night sky, I felt a massive gust of wind from behind. A magnificent eagle with hefty wings flew ahead of me and captured a warg adjacent to Fili. Several more eagles appeared from all around. They knocked down the trees and grabbed at the beasts until they fled from the cliff. Unfortunately, Azog managed to make it out alive.

The eagles circled the mountain to pick up any stragglers. The eagle that selected me carefully grasped me in its talons and carried me over the edge. Once the cliff ended, the great bird released me and I fell onto the back of another eagle. I groaned at the impact on my leg, which continued to throb.

I ran my fingers through the thick, silky feathers. I propped my mauled leg up and tilted my head back to let the breeze coat my face. The sun came out from the darkness and shone on our backs. I looked down at the towering mountains below us, grateful that we were flying over them rather than maneuvering through them. The eagles chose a spot to land and let us down on the mountain with ease.

The eagle carrying Thorin's lifeless body laid him down on the rocky cliff. We all watched anxiously while Gandalf hurried to Thorin and kneeled next to him. Gandalf brushed his fingers down Thorin's face, whispering foreign words. Within seconds, Thorin's eyes fluttered open. A sense of urgency rushed over his body as he staggered to his feet. We quickly helped him up but he shoved us away. He looked for Bilbo. Once he found him, he began the lecture the hobbit.

"You! What were you doing? You nearly got yourself killed," he complained. Bilbo struggled to look at Thorin directly so he shifted his glance between Thorin and the ground. Thorin slowly approached Bilbo.

"I said many things of you not belonging amongst us, of you not being able to survive this journey, of you being a burden," he paused. "I have never been more wrong in my entire life."

Thorin smothered Bilbo in a hug. "I am sorry I ever doubted you."

"It's okay, I would've doubted me too. I'm no hero, or warrior, or even a burglar," he chuckled. Thorin gave Bilbo a mere smile before his eyes shifted to the landscape behind the hobbit. Bilbo turned with wide eyes. "Is that what I think it is?"

"Erebor, the Lonely Mountain. The last of the great dwarf kingdoms of Middle Earth," said Gandalf.

"Home," whispered Thorin. A thrush fluttered off towards the mountain. He smiled. "We will take that as a good omen."

"I do believe the worst is behind us," sighed Bilbo.

I came up behind Bilbo and wrapped my arm around his shoulder. Kili did the same to me. I rested my tired head on his shoulder and stared at the mountain, ignoring the fuzzy vision the blood loss was causing. I admired my new family that gathered around me. I didn't agree with Bilbo. I knew that there was no way the rest of this would be easy, but I did know that no one would ever be alone again.