2- A New Generation

The infirmary building towers over us.
          I push the door open and step inside. I take Tauren's hand. "It's going to be alright. You're safe now." I lead her inside.
          The healer at the front desk looks up at us. "Welcome, General Vildred. How may I help you?" The woman smiles.
          "I have a feeling that my wife," I gesture to Tauren, "is with child."
          The soul weaver looks past me. She reaches her hand out to Tauren. "Come here, sugar. I won't hurt you. I promise." The soul weaver smiles.
          Tauren hesitates before stepping up beside me. She shakes a little as the healer reaches out to touch her stomach. "No."
           I gently squeeze Tauren's hand and wrap an arm around her waist. "It's okay. Let her. She won't hurt you."
    The soul weaver's fingertips brush across Tauren's stomach. The woman's palm is flat against my wife's stomach. Her hand moves slightly.
    Tauren looks to me and smiles. She kisses me.
    A spark goes through my body as her lips make contact with mine.
    The soul weaver looks to us. "You are correct, Vildred. She is with child." The woman's hand goes to the right side of Tauren's stomach. She looks up at me. "Are you familiar with the anatomy of an elf?"
    I know some but not all. I frown. "I only know the basics. What must I know?"

[readers, this little anatomy bit is something I made up; just thought I'd let you know]

    "This area here on her right side is where her milk sack is. Don't get grossed out. It's just how the female nurtures her child before it's born. If you put your hand here and feel a swelling sensation under you hand, that signifies that the child is doing what elves refer to as 'feeding' and when you don't feel that it means that the child is not feeding. It will still feel a tad bit swollen as she is with child. If it didn't feel like that, then she isn't. Another thing to be worried about is her tendencies to want sweet foods. All elves are like that."
    I definitely didn't know all of that. "Is there anything else?"
    "Yes. Due to the fact she has a milk sack, as do all females, she will most likely get a tad bit bigger than a human during pregnancy. Don't panic over it. She's alright." The soul weaver removes her hand from Tauren and smiles. She walks back behind the counter. "If you need anything else, feel free to stop by."
    I wrap my other arm around my beloved Tauren. I look down at her precious face. "Are you ready to go? Queen Diene is expecting us at the festival. Iseria has a beautiful dress waiting for you."
    Tauren looks up at me and smiles. "Let's go." She takes my hand and leads me out of the infirmary. Tauren didn't seem even a bit frightened about the child.
    I wonder what an elf-human hybrid looks like or how it behaves? I don't know if I'm ready to be a father. You've got time, Vildred I tell myself.
Step up before Ras does. Gain power to protect your family. Make a better world for your child and for Tauren. Join me. The voice from earlier enters my mind again.
     "Vildred, can I borrow your coat? I'm still in my nightgown." Tauren's whisper brings me back to reality.
    I smile as I shrug off my coat. I assist Tauren in putting it on. "Is that better, love?"
    Tauren wraps the too big sleeves around her and turns to me. "Everything is better with you, Vildred." She places a kiss upon my lips.
    I allow myself to get taken by her. I pull her closer, my tongue pulling at hers. I don't want to let go.
    Tauren separates from me and blushes. "Let's go get ready." She leans against me as we walk to Ezera's palace. Tauren's body against mine feels so perfect.
    I lean my head on hers. "What do you think will happen at the ball?"
     "Everyone will be wanting to talk to the Heir of the Covenant. They will all be excited to meet him. After all, it's him we are welcoming back to Orbis." Tauren is right.
    The people will be celebrating the Heir and the goddess. They will want to see him and only him.
          The man who once called me a friend. Before he caused the deaths of many.
          I clench my fist at the thought. I will not let Ras Elclare force the world to become one of chaos and destruction. I have a child and wife— an entirely new generation to protect. I can't let this Seventh World fall just as all the worlds before it.
          Indeed, Vildred. You are the only one who can end the cycle of destruction. Join me and I shall help you protect what you love. Allow me to show you the many truths Diche has hidden from you.
          I shake my head. I am tired of hearing that voice in my head. I can never think. I am also quite intrigued as to what it says.
         "Vildred!"
         I look up and see the young prince, Aither.
          His blonde hair is pulled back in a ponytail. His clothes are shades of blue and his boots are white. The ribbon in his hair bounces as he runs to me. "There you are. Iseria is looking for you and Tauren. She was worried that you weren't coming."
          "I am the General of Ezera. Of course I am coming. I am supposed to meet Iseria somewhere to get Tauren's dress." I stride along the path to the palace.
          Iseria grabs Tauren's arm. "Thank Diche, you're here. Let's get you ready."
          I free Tauren from Iseria's grasp. "Don't yank or pull on her. She is in a fragile state. Be careful."
          Iseria huffs and runs her fingers through her pale hair. She is dressed in a black and white ballgown. "What's with you today?"
         "Be gentle with Tauren. That's all I'm saying." I glare at the blonde elf.
        "What's going on?" Queen Diene enters the room.
         I bow my head apologetically. "I apologize, my queen. Iseria pulled on Tauren's arm. My wife is in a fragile state. I merely had to defend her."
          Queen Diene smiles. "And what fragile state is it?"
          "She is with child, my queen. I wish that she not be treated roughly."
          "It shall be as you say. Iseria, be gentle and careful with Tauren."
          I turn on my heels to go meet with Ras as my queen bade me so earlier.