3- The Acolyte and the Heir

Ras will pay for those lives he sent to their doom. The voice continues to haunt me. It keeps trying to sway me to the wrong path.
      I will fight with what little faith I have.
          What little faith indeed. I do not believe that you will remain by Ras' side. I know how much you resent him. Admit it.
      Do I? Do I resent the goddess' Heir? I shake my head. I can't let the voice get to me. I know who it belongs to and I will not trust him one bit.
          Oh. So you remember me? Haha. You remember little me— Acolyte Kayron.
      An image of him flashes in my mind.

          I can still remember his cruel magenta aura and the sword he carried

      I can still remember his cruel magenta aura and the sword he carried. I remember how he made me feel like I was going through Hell itself when I fought by Ras' side.
      "There you are, Vildred." Ras walks up to me. He wears all-white clothes. His white hair is perfectly in place. He covers his hands with black gloves.
      A blue and white cotton ball-looking creature with fox-like ears sits behind Ras. "Master was abusing me." It focused its huge eyes on me.
      A smirk plays across my face. "Why does the Heir of the Covenant have a cotton ball with legs for a pet?" I cross my arms.
      "Oh, this is Arkasus or Arky for short. He's actually my guardian." Ras runs his hands through his hair.
      Arkasus turns to me, probably imagining smoke coming from his ears and him pummeling me. "How dare you call Arky a cotton ball?! How dare you call me a pet?! I am the guardian Arkasus, chosen by Diche to be the guardian of the Heir of the Covenant!"
      I honestly can't take Arkasus seriously. I turn to Ras. "Sorry I had to go earlier. Something came up with Tauren."
      "It's fine. I understand. You have a wife and might even have a family." Ras smiles.
      "Well, I suppose you know a lot. You are the goddess' Heir." I try not to clench my teeth as I say the words.
      "I wouldn't say that, but I know quite a bit. Like how I know Tauren carries your child." Ras' words shake me.
      "How do you know? I never told anyone except Queen Diene and Iseria. I doubt any of them told you. Tell me how you know!" I grab Ras by the shoulders and press him against the nearest wall. "Tell me how you know!" I glare at the Heir. I am not letting him go off and tell everyone about my precious Tauren.
      "What's wrong Vildred? Are you okay?" Ras claws at my hands.
      I tighten my grip. "You better stay away from Tauren! Stay away from me! Don't you ever get near my child! Stay away from me and my family!" I shove him down on the floor. I turn on my heels and march down the hall to Iseria's room.
      "No. Iseria, I need something looser. This is too tight for the baby. Do you have something else?" Tauren's voice alerts me.
      Without thinking, I run in the room and straight to Tauren. Before anyone has time to react, I rip the tight dress off my beloved.
      Tauren sighs and leans into my embrace. "Vildred. Vildred. Vildred." She mumbles my name into my chest.
      I hold her close and glare at Iseria. "You better have something else or she's going in her nightgown," I hiss.
      Iseria hurries back to her closet.
      Tauren only wears her undergarments. She pulls one of my arms around her, putting my hand on her stomach.
      My, my, my. You were quick. You truly care about Tauren and your son. Ras knows because his precious goddess Diche. She told him. Meet me in the palace gardens during the ball... if you want to protect Tauren and your precious son.
      I think on Kayron's words. I want to protect Tauren— and my son. "A son, Tauren. You carry a son."
      Tauren looks up at me and smiles. She winces slightly. "He's feeding."
      I move my fingers to the right side of her stomach. I feel the swelling of her milk sack. I gently rub the area. "Is that why you must where loose clothes? So he may feed whenever he wants?"
      Tauren closes her eyes and nods.
      Iseria returns with a long purple dress. "It's made from the softest cloth from Dun Blyreia. It should be comfortable for her." She hands me the dress and hurries out of the room.
          I separate from Tauren and take a step back. I hand her the dress. "Get ready, my love."
          Tauren pouts. "But Vildred, I need someone to help me." She hands the dress back to me.
      Won't you help her? You want to protect Tauren and your unborn son, but you won't help her dress. If you won't you can't want.
          Kayron's voice is starting to annoy me.
          I want to just destroy all the acolytes and the Heir. That would solve all my problems.
      Oh so harsh, Vildred.
           I sigh. "Let me help you." I help Tauren slip into the dress. I lace up the back, tying it loosely so as to not hurt her.
          Tauren turns around and smiles. "What do you think?" She wore nothing extravagant nor fancy. But Tauren looked like a goddess.
          I wrap an arm around her waist. "You look perfect. Let us go." I lead her down to the ballroom.
          Everyone has already gathered. There are nobles and peasants.
          Queen Diene and Prince Aither greet guests as they enter. They turn to me and smile.
          I don't want to, but I smile. I have to make them think that I am happy that Ras has awoke. I take Tauren over to a table where Sir Charles waits.
          The mighty warrior's brown hair has shocks of grey. He wears his usual blue and red ensemble with his armor. "Ah, nice to see you this evening. How are you, General Vildred?"
          I smile and pull Tauren closer. "I'm doing well and so is Tauren."
          Charles smiles. "That is good to hear. May Diche bless you." He nods towards Tauren's stomach.
          Tauren blushes. "Why thank you, Sir Charles. May the goddess bless you as well." She continues to chat with my old friend.
          I see something glowing in the gardens.
          Perhaps I should go speak with Acolyte Kayron.
          I quickly tell Charles to not let his eyes wander from Tauren and to take care of her. I then go straight to the gardens.
          Kayron waits for me. He's dressed in a suit of reddish-pink. The neckerchief is neatly tied and pinned with a silver clasp. Kayron smirks. "So, you choose truth over lies? Indeed you are a wise one General Vildred of Ezera."