Chapter 4

"You do realize that Saku is going to kick your ass for bailing on dinner, right?"

My brother Adam, the third oldest, broke the painful silence first.

"Shut up. I was going to get my ass kicked anyway for fighting with Kaoru again. Ugh, I'll probably get grounded for a year."

"But, you're always fighting with Kaoru, idiot," Kyo cut in.

Kyo and Kota, the twins, were second years in high school. They would be identical if it wasn't for the fact that Kyo's hair was red and Kota's was black. Aside from them having the exact same face, there was nothing about those two that was the same. Kyo always had a more rebellious personality, constantly trying to be a tough guy, with a lone wolf attitude. Kota, on the other hand, was the bookworm who never had the time or patience for ignorance or stupidity of any kind. He was arguably the one with the worst attitude, not thinking twice before crushing your hopes and dreams in a single sentence.

When it came down to it, you could look at any one of us and instantly know we were related. Like me, all of my brothers attended Rikkaidai, so whenever another year came, our teachers would instantly recognize the faces of the Abarai children. Thought, I was the one that took the longest to recognize, being the one and only girl in the family. Not to mention I was the only one of us with dirty blonde hair. My brothers all had either black hair or red hair, and most of them were blessed enough to inherit our mother's beautiful blue eyes. Saku and I were the kids who looked the most like our dad, especially with his dark brown eyes.

I heaved a sigh and plopped onto the couch in between Kota and Adam. Kota glanced up from his book, peeking over his glasses at me to his left with a look of disinterest.

"Maybe you can just learn a little self-control, hm? It's not like it would kill you," he pointed out.

Adam scoffed from my other side, "Yeah right! The last time we made her hold her tongue about something she accidentally set my ex-girlfriend's dad's pants on fire-"

"YOU SWORE YOU'D NEVER SPEAK OF THAT AGAIN!"

"IT'S NOT LIKE IT NEVER HAPPENED! BECAUSE OF YOU WE'RE NEVER ALLOWED INTO THAT RESTAURANT AGAIN!"

"WELL NEXT TIME PICK A GIRL WHOSE DAD DOESN'T HAVE SUCH A BAD ATTITUDE AND SUCH FLAMMABLE PANTS!"

"Will the two of you shut up! You're giving me a headache!" Kyo shouted from the floor.

I huffed. It was not as bad as it sounds. The waiter dumped an entire pitcher of water on his lap before any damage was done and he wasn't injured or anything. He's probably never going to let his daughter date ever again, but it's not like I did it on purpose, it was a complete accident. The girl was a bitch anyway and her dad was even worse. Adam should be thanking me for literally setting fire to the chance of his ever being related to those people.

Kota set his book down and looked at me. "You know, you and Kaoru never used to fight like this, not until only a few years after mom and dad died-"

"Kota! You know you're not supposed to talk about that in front of Rena!"

We all turned and saw Phillip, who had just suddenly appeared behind the couch as if we had said Bloody Mary too many times, with a horrified expression etched across his face.

"Sweet Jesus, when did you get here?!" Adam put a hand over his heart as he jumped foot off the couch. I, on the other hand, was much more annoyed than surprised.

"It's fine, really. I'm not a little kid anymore," I tried to calm the tension that rose, but it didn't really work. At all.

"What are you four even talking about anyway," Phil inquired, walking around the couch to face us, probably preparing a dialogue in his head for when he decided to scold us.