Little Ones

The click of my door opening wakes me up and I hear soft footsteps approaching the bed. The familiar scent of the twins fills my nostrils. I have a feeling they are trying to sneak up on me so I continue to act like I'm sleeping. I feel my bed dip on either side of me as the twins crawl in. A second later Aria yells, "mommy!" in my ear and I pretend to jolt awake.

"Goddess kid! You're gonna give your mother a heart attack," I say while a laugh rumbles through my chest.

"I told her not to mama," Cayden looks at me apologetically. He's such a mama's boy.

"It's alright, my little fighter," I wrap my arm around him and pull him into my side.

"No fair!" Aria screeches, "I want cuddles from mommy too!"

"I would never forget little Ari," I pull her into my side and gently kiss her forehead, "You get cuddles too."

As I run my hands along their backs I realize just how thankful I am for these two beams of light in my life. I'm even more grateful that they both look exactly like me. Bright, wavy blond hair that was bordering on white with soft facial features. The only feature they received from their father was his icy blue eyes. And in my opinion, his eyes had been his best feature.

I'm drawn out of my thoughts when I realize it's nearly 7:00 a.m. and our guests would be arriving in two hours.

"Alright, up you get little ones," I weave my way out from in between the two, "breakfast time!" Aria groans and slowly rolls off the bed while Cayden jumps off in a hurry.

"What's for breakfast?" Aria asks as she's finally standing up.

I tap her nose playfully, "Use that wolf nose of yours and answer your own question."

Before Aria even gets the chance to try, Cayden answers, "I can smell bacon, ham, and some French toast!"

"Meanie!" Aria slaps her brother on the arm, "You didn't even give me a chance."

"Hey," I give Aria a stern look, "I've told you before that you're not to hit your brother."

"Sorry mommy," Aria says then looks to Cayden, "Sorry Cay."

"Very good," I praise Aria.

"Are the other wolves coming today?" Cayden asks me as we start making our way down to the kitchen.

"Yes they are. They'll be here in a couple hours," I stop walking to kneel down in front of the twins. I give them a stern look when I say, "Both of you need to be on your best behavior. The King's daughter is going to be one of our guests."

"A real princess!" Aria's excited screech causes me to cover my ears. Looking over to Cayden I notice he is covering his ears as well while sending his twin an annoyed look.

"Yes sweetheart, a real princess," I quickly cover her mouth before she can let out another painful squeal.

"Everyone alright up there?" My Beta, Donovan, says from the bottom of the stairs, worry was laced in his question.

"We're good!" I say back, "Ari is just a bit over-excited about the princess arriving today."

Donovan nods his head and waves a spatula towards us, "You guys better hurry and get down here, 'cause I'm about to eat all this juicy bacon."

With that the twins both squeak and scramble down the stairs. They hated missing out on bacon.

'They're just like you', my wolf chuckles at me as I head to the kitchen.

"Good morning Don," I greet him as I enter the kitchen.

"Alpha," he says. I send him a glare, hating when he used my title. Don and I had built this pack from the ground up. We originally only had two official members. Then the twins were born and our number grew to four. As far as I'm concerned, Don and I are on equal footing. The only reason he is not in charge is because he just didn't want to be. Oh, and he's a vampire.

Once word got around that a pack was accepting any rogue, from any species, we got a lot of members. About a year after The Lost Pack was first established, we reached about one hundred members. Ranging from werewolf to fae. No species was turned away as long as they could prove they would be loyal to the pack. Any previous assumptions about other species had to be eliminated before being accepted. It was how we avoided fighting within the pack.

"If you don't stop using my title soon, I'm gonna make you sit for an hour with a bar of soap in your mouth," I keep my tone light, otherwise Don would take me seriously and start running. "Can you just go back to calling me Belle? I miss hearing that name."

"If it is what you want," Don pauses for a second, "Then I'll address you as Belle from now on." His lips turn up into a small smile.

Once everyone is done with their breakfast, I send the twins upstairs to get changed while I help Don with the dishes. "You do know we're equals right?" I ask him while passing him the last dish to dry.

"If I didn't believe we were equals, you wouldn't be helping me with the dishes right now," he says and finishes putting the dishes away.

"You have a good point there Don," I start to say some more but he interrupts me.

"Of course I do darling, I'm a genius," he smirks.

"Now, on to serious matters," I say, my tone shifting completely, "I have received word from the King that his daughter has found one of her mates in the pack she was staying with before ours. She is coming here in hopes of finding her second mate to complete the triad."

Don looks at me confused for a second before realization dawns on him, "I always forget that the Royals of your species have triad mates."

"Yes, we're the only species that has a history of triad mates in our Royals," I wave my hand through air, telling him we're done with that particular topic. "Anyway, the King isn't too happy about his daughter potentially having a mate somewhere in our band of misfits. So let's hope she doesn't find them here 'cause the King will throw a fit."

"That's something I'd pay to see," Don chuckles, "the Alpha King throwing a fit."

"Why would the King throw a fit?" Cayden juts into the conversation. Both of the twins were now out of their pajamas. Aria was wearing a light blue sundress with some white sandals. Cayden has decided to wear some tan shorts with a simple white t-shirt that had "Mama's Boy" written on it in black block letters.

I smile at my three-year-old son before scooping him into my arms and kissing his cheek. "You're definitely a mama's boy," Don chimes in after reading Cayden's shirt.

"I could've worn a shirt like that too mama, but you told us there was a princess coming so I wore a dress," Ari pipes up, feeling a little left out.

I put Cayden down and turn my attention to Ari. "Very good thinking little miss," I say, placing a kiss on her forehead. I glance at the clock and realize our guests will be arriving in a little under half an hour.

Shit, I need to get ready.

'Yeah, you look like a fucking mess.' My wolf decides to comment, disregarding the barrier I had put up between us earlier.

I send my wolf a huff of annoyance before asking Don to watch the kids while I go change.

Knowing my pups are in good care, I rush up the stairs to my room. I'm very thankful that I had decided to shower before going to bed so I didn't have to worry about it this morning. I did, however, have to worry about what to wear. What is the appropriate attire for meeting a princess? I certainly have no clue.

'You never have a clue',my wolf comments.

Deciding to ignore her, I put on a sleek black leather dress and a pair of leather combat boots. I head to my bathroom to run my brush through my hair. After deciding I looked presentable, I head back downstairs to greet our guests.
———————————————————

Hey guys,

This is a new book I'm trying out. I hope to be able to update it pretty regularly, but I'm in school so who knows. Please let me know what you think.

-thedarkdivine33