Chapter 5

A\N::: So guysssss...... I'm actually in school right now so I'm typing surreptitiously under my desk. So, please forgive any spelling or grammar errors! :) love y'all

*****

(Back to Maria's POV)

I walked away from Rian annoyed as hell, and with each step I felt myself get dizzier and dizzier and start stumbling. I felt half-conscious and faint.

As I fell to the floor, all my thoughts disappeared.

I woke up in a very strange bedroom, and upon closer inspection, it looked more like an office with a bed in it. I figured out that I was at the nurse, and someone must have found me when I fainted. I found it so inconvenient to faint in public - it was the only downside of getting thinner. Now I'd have to make up some story about hitting my head.

I turned my head to the left and my groggy eyes focused on Rian's face. The bastard. He must have been the one to take me here.

"Your body needs food, Maria, don't do this to yourself."

I realized that he'd pieced two and two together. This boy will be dangerous - what's he gonna do, give me food while I'm unconscious? My eyes widened and I stared down at my stomach. It was flat. Not concave, flat!

"Don't worry, the nurse only gave you an apple and some bread. And I'm willing to bet more than anything that's more than you've eaten all day." He looked at me with... Disappointment? Sadness? Concern?..... Written on his face.

I swung my legs out of bed and got up with vigor, amazed at what a little food could do. As I replied, "Jeez, Rian, it's just a diet," and walked out of the office (ignoring the nurse's protestations), the cogs in my overfed brain were turning. If a little food helps my allegro, maybe I could eat even less, and then eat a normal amount before every class. Light food, but a decent amount of it, so I had my strength. Much smarter. I'd been on this same diet of 300 calories a day for over six months and I obviously wasn't improving as much as I needed to. 5'4" and almost 90 pounds; Not exactly a great weight. This new plan could work better. No food except right before class. Perfect!