Chapter 20 Chelsea Hotel No. 2

Feast your eyes. 

 ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

“I don’t mean to suggest that I loved you the best

 I can’t keep track of each fallen robin.

I remember you well at the Chelsea Hotel

That’s all I don’t even think of you that often.”

 Chapter 20

“And what the hell is this?” Scarpone barked.

In his hands lie the ticket to my freedom. Papers were scattered over his desk as he stared at me furiously.

“I’m resigning,” I said simply. No way was I staying here anymore.

“You can’t resign, Stryker. We already established the fact that-”

“-that I signed a contract. Like you said, I was only contracted for a couple of months and the assignment you sent me on had been compromised. The Kings are dead,” I paused, “and that leaves me out of the picture. I’ve finished my work here, so I am leaving.”

I stood up from the chair and ignored the stares of several other mercenaries as I walked passed them.

“You get your ass back here and explain to me-”

Slam!

I shut the door on my way out, muffling any hint of Scarpone’s authoritative voice out of my ears.

A small fragment of a smile formed on my lips as I walked down the hall. I actually did it. I’m leaving the mercenaries.

“And why do you look so happy?” Duke asked while catching up to speed with me in the halls.

“I think you already know why, Duke.”

“You’re going to leave just like that?”

“You can leave too. No one said you had to stay if it was just to protect me.” Just a suggestion.

“What are you going to do with yourself? How do you expect to fit in with the rest of the world after what you’ve done with your life?” he asked me.

“You were right about one thing, Duke. I would be facing a lot of grief if it was me in your shoes. That horrid reminder is the only thing that will let me move on. I can’t do this anymore. I refuse to live under the orders of him,” I pointed to the office ,” and be unable to make my own decisions.”

“This all started because of Callum, didn’t it?” He looked down at me waiting for reply, but he already knew the answer to that.

“Yes.”

I remember what Evie told me the other day in the diner. That if she were to do something wrong she would want forgiveness, but would never expect it. Hell, I would never expect to be forgiven in a situation like this. And knowing that fact tears me apart.

I wasn’t just leaving to be free from all the oppression, I was leaving so that maybe I would be able to save myself while I still had the chance.

“You can stay Duke, but if you want…” Was I really going to ask if he wanted to join me?

“Does this mean I’m forgiven?” Wanted, but not expected. I looked Duke straight in the eyes knowing full well that I could never treat him on the same level as before. I can’t forgive him. It’s not even an option for me.

“No, but you can make up for it by doing a shit load of ass kissing.”

“I’m sorry Kira.”