Chapter FIVE

He sat on the beach chair looking through random police files looking for something, someone anything to help him find her. He looked at the full moon hanging heavily over the ocean. He took a sip of his beer glancing at the commotion going on inside Danny's house. He felt a soft hand on his shoulder and looked up at the brown eyes girl standing behind him, gazing at the files.

"Found anything yet, uncle Steve?" Her voice was soft and sad as she sat down next to Steve.

"Not yet, Gracie, not yet. You should go inside and enjoy your birthday, your present is wrapped in purple." he smiled at her, but she could tell it was fake. She looked behind her where Catherine stood looking at them.

"Steve, Grace, time to come eat," Catherine didn't understand why they were so hung up on this girl, when clearly she was dead. Grace made her way into the house but Steve stayed seated in the chair. Catherine went inside to ask Danny to tell Steve to come and eat.

Danny sat next to Steve and handed him another beer. He looked at the many, useless, files strewn across the chair and part of the table. Danny sighed looking at his poor friend.

"I heard Loni sold the Bakery," Danny tried to break the silence but all he got was a hum from Steve. Danny was about to leave Steve when Steve's voice stopped him.

"Jerry wants to sell her house," Danny could hear and feel the pain in Steve's voice. He placed a hand on Steve's shoulder hearing his friend's cries.

"He's doing what he thinks is best, maybe it's to hard for him to keep it." it was silent for another fem minutes and Steve packed up the files.

He stood up angrily tossing the the file to the side, papers flying in every possible direction. He took a big sip from his beer smashing it against the patio floor gaining attention from the people in the house. Danny hastily grabbed Steve before he got the chance to hurt himself. Steve cried into Danny's shoulder his sobs controlling him.

"Nothing makes sense without her, I love her." His voice was raspy and laced with unimaginable pain, pain that Danny couldn't even begin to understand.

"It's been a year, Steve, you have to let her go

"It's been a year, Steve, you have to let her go." Danny wasn't trying to push his friend he was trying to help him but Steve didn't see it that way though.

"You can't be serious, Daniel. You can't just get over someone who went missing. It's easier if you know they're dead if you have a body you can bury. She's missing not dead! I will not just move on! I love her Daniel that won't just go away!"

Steve stormed into the house grabbing his keyes and stumbling his way to his truck. Junior bid everyone a farewell before following Steve to his truck. He grabbed Steve's keys out of his hand.

" Sorry sir but I can't let you drive in this condition, I'll take you home. And don't try to argue sir I won't take no for an answer."

***