Chapter 2: Firefly Kisses

Something unseen pulled me out of the wash of colors that I'd been swimming in for longer than I could remember. I didn't know where I was and I couldn't feel my body, which should have been alarming

...Like floating in a perpetual state of ambiguity...Then, a tiny prick of pain assaulted me from somewhere close by, followed by a warm gooey substance seeping up into the colors. 

Ephemeral black fingers wound their way into my vision, burrowing deep until they snatched away the threads of anxiety that were tugging at my thoughts. 

I wanted to curl up and sleep in the warm pool of faded colors and echoes, but I couldn't seem to locate my limbs.

***

There weren't distinct noises wherever I was, only muffled sound that rushed to envelop me and died out unceremoniously. 

I wanted to turn my head, but I wasn't sure it was still there.

An electric pink hue seeped into the void, making it impossible to hold any sense of time. Occasionally, I got flashes of what I assume were memories, but everything was fuzzy. Like a living watercolor, the pigments undulated and fused while pulsing so bright they almost hummed in my peripheral vision. Then, back to the obscure.

***

Beep

An irksome electric pitch interrupted my floating.

Beep

The sound was so loud it actually pushed the colors in my vision around, turning them from fuchsia to ruby to cerulean, and then back to black.

Beep

I searched for a way to make sense of where I was.

Beep

A new, deeper sound wove its way in and out of the tonal spikes. It could have been a man's voice, but I couldn't get close enough to tell.

Beep

I tried to shout or call out towards the sound, but I got no response from my body (if it was even there).

Beep

A tiny pinch sent a flare of red into the inky depths and warmth overtook me again. It flooded my conscious, intensifying the electric blush that tinted the melancholy vapor of my thoughts.

***

The beeping came back as a tingling sensation overtook the abyss where I was suspended. I could feel my fingers twitch against the strange current sparking up my digits and into my arms.

At first, it blossomed over my body like millions of firefly kisses. Then, the sparks grew more intense, nibbling at my extremities until it felt like a swarm of bees was stinging any patch of naked skin they could find.

I opened my mouth to scream, but my throat was parched. My eyelids felt as if they'd been dipped in battery acid. Blinking against the searing pain, I tried to summon up enough liquid to coat my throbbing eyeballs. Everything looked blurry in the bizarre ambient lighting.

I tried to shift my body, which is when I realized that I was strapped down to whatever I was lying on. My skin was buzzing like a live wire as if tasting the air for stimuli.

Impulsively my chin snapped in the direction of something that had a distinctive pulse.

"Well, look who's awake!" A friendly male voice chimed. "Hello, Eleanor."