Chapter 4)Who needs enemies when you have neighbors?

***
A good hour comes and goes quickly where we only stop by five houses. There weren't that many people with their front lights on handing out candy. I tried to be upbeat for the kids, always excitedly asking what they got after we finished walking back to the car, but they were quickly getting discouraged the longer we drove without finding more houses to visit. "There's less houses with lights on than last year," said Sarah sourly.
I didn't babysit last Halloween given Tom and Simone were home, but she was probably right. It seemed less people handed out candy each year in my neighborhood too. When children grew out of the elementary school age, more people tended to stop celebrating Halloween in general. "Don't you kids worry. Cassie here brought enough bags of candy, if you wanted, we could pretend to trick'er'treat back at the house," said Ben seriously. "You guys can walk around knocking on doors, and I'll pretend to be a different person each time. Maybe I'll be a hobo, and next time a cat lady." Even though the kids laughed, I notice Sarah perk up upon his saying that. As soon as we stop at another house, the kids soon hop out of the car as Ben comes to a complete stop. A small sprinkling of rain started, but before I could tell the kids we were going to call it a night, they sprint past a couple kids dressed as ninja turtles up to a large house on a hill. I get out to follow them, only to hear a door close as Ben came out as well. "Are you going to give me the silent treatment ALL night?" He said, coming over to walk beside me. I tired to ignore how much colder the chilliness in the air felt with the light pellets of rain coming down.
"Don't be ridiculous," I reply dryly, tucking loose strand of hair back into my side ponytail. "Just until Simone and Tom get back."
Ben runs a hand through his hair and lets out a breath. "If you want to go to your party, you can. I can just drop you off at the house."
He had it all wrong if he thought that was the reason for why I was upset.
"I'm not leaving," I said sternly. "If you want to, feel free. I won't lose sleep tonight by not having to see you." I made sure to watch him so he now fully understood it wasn't that I was missing the party for why I'm annoyed.
Ben diverted his eyes to the ground, saying nothing further. The kids soon rejoin us, thankfully taking us out of yet another awkward silence. "I got TWO packs of gummi bears!" said Sarah excitedly.
"I'm cold," says Lauren, shivering as the soft rain became slightly harder. We hurriedly made our way back to the Volvo.
As the kids talk animatedly in the backseat once they're in and buckled, Ben looks to me before he starts the car. "I'm serious. If you want to leave, you can go. Tom already paid us, so there's not really a need for you to stay." He says with a tone just as cold and clipped as mine has been.
I grit my teeth together out of frustration. "Like I said, if you want to leave, feel free." I made sure to keep my voice low so the kids in the back couldn't hear me. They couldn't; all three were too preoccupied comparing candy they had gotten.
The rain briefly let up long enough for us to continue our hunt for houses handing out candy. The next place we arrived at was a dilapidated grey farmhouse on top of another large hill with a winding driveway. I suddenly wanted to offer the idea of us not stopping from how spooky the place looked with its broken windows and trash thrown throughout the yard, but the last three houses we had passed hadn't had lights on. There wasn't a house nearby for another mile. It wasn't until Ben pulled the Volvo into the driveway and parked did one of the kids start to give commentary.
"I....I don't want to go up there. It's scary," said Lauren while getting out of the car. I had gotten out of the car to walk with the kids, but I was contemplating telling them to get back inside the car. The rain was coming down again, now a tad harder than before. One lonesome oak tree stood swaying in the wind that came with the rain; the branches whispering in the air to its surroundings.
"Want me to come with?" said Ben politely. I wasn't too sure if he was asking me or Lauren. As he shut off and then got out of the car, I made to get back in the car before Lauren tugged at my hand. "I want you to come too, Cassie!"
I nodded as she grabbed ahold of my hand and then Ben's to hold, the felt of her candy bag snug between our grasped hands. We start the walk up the long gravel road, and I'm reminded of every horror movie I've ever watched that has showcased the spooky house atop of an equally frightening hill.

"This place is really creepy," complained Sarah as Parker rushes past her. Lauren drags me and Ben by the hands as a cold wind whip at our faces. She's trying to reach the porch before her sister, so she isn't the last kid to get there.
The large stadium flood light illuminates throughout the property, showcasing all the old and decrepit cars throughout the lot. Grass is overgrown and the pathway to the front door is barely walkable given how much overrun grass and weeds are creeping onto the walkway. Overall, the place in general looks as though it hasn't received any decent attention in a very long time. "Ben, is this farm where Carling the cannibal lived?" said Parker.
Ben sniggered. "Guys, his farm wasn't even in this town. It was in Paupler's Bluff, two cities away.
I nod my head as the kids look to me for confirmation. This is true. But I can see why the kids are feeling alarmed. I'm getting a spooky vibe just being around this old place. A large Beware sign hangs over the farmhouse out back, and a strong variety of shovels and pitchforks hang on the wall of the old house in view of anyone who dares going towards the front door. I'm wanting to turn around the moment I spot something entirely frightening hanging on the opposite end of the porch that the kids don't seem to notice. A skinned rabbit.
"Maybe we should go back," I finally say, successfully shielding Lauren from seeing the dead animal. I motion to Parker to keep silent as he got a closer look. The sound of creaking floorboards caused Sarah and Parker to stop before they could reach the front door. They had successfully climbed the stairs of the porch without making a single noise. Even with the rain coming down in heavier drops, it was evident the noise didn't come from them.
Suddenly the rickety front door of the decrepit house was whipped open violently. It revealed an old man with shoulder length snow white hair. In his hands he was brandishing a shot gun and pointing it right at little Parker who was in front of his twin. I release a gasp before quickly intervening by stepping in front of the little boy. Using my arm, I instinctively push him and Sarah behind me out of view of the man with the gun. No words spill past my tongue as I stare into the barrel of the long-nosed gun.

"WHOA WHOA WHOA!" shouted Ben, sprinting up and posing a protective stance in front of myself and the kids. Lauren stood frightened at the bottom of the porch before starting to cry.
"What the hell are you doing!?" demanded Ben.
Even though he was brave enough to yell at the man, I could tell he was frightened.
A cock of the shot gun is heard next. "You're trespassing on my property," said the old man in a sinful wheeze.
"We were just trick'er'treating!" said Ben defensively before motioning for our group to back up. We all began to back step, even the children didn't make a quick getaway as if out of fear the man would shoot.
"Yeah...And you fuckers thought you'd get the jump on me by using that as an excuse!" said the old man in a growl, spitting a disgusting brown substance out of his mouth. The large wad landed off into the dead grass with a splat. I cringed looking at the man; pointed yellow teeth and matted white hair, he looked as if personal hygiene wasn't something he believed in. Small black specks were visible on his scalp, resembling bad head lice or even fleas.

"Your light's on, it's Halloween. We thought you were handing out candy!" I exclaim shrilly. Lauren started to cry harder behind me. I picked her small and slender body to hold, and she quickly buried her face into the crook of my neck.
The old man doesn't drop his angry glaze. "I'm waitin' on a damned pizza! That's why my fuckin' light is on. Ungrateful little brats like you have been comin' up here beggin for candy all gosh damned night!"

Luckily, Ben was just as appalled as I was.
"What kind of idiot doesn't realize kids are going to come to his lighted front door on Halloween?" demanded Ben, causing me to cringe. It was that alone that caused the unhygienic old timer to pick up his gun again.
I motioned for Sarah and Parker to quickly go back to the car. They obliged without the old man noticing. "We're leaving!" said Ben hotly. Get the gun out of my face or I'm calling the police!" he threatened, moving off the porch in slow backsteps. He used a large hand to gently push me back while still holding his protective stance.
The old man squinted his eyes at Lauren and then towards the Volvo where Parker and Sarah had retreated.

"Eh, I know who yous are!" He exclaimed, pointing an arthritis ridden finger towards the car. He cracks a smile, one that displays his hideous set of yellow teeth. They're not exactly a plain color of yellow. It's as though they're a cross between lemony yellow and a horrid lime green. The man sets his gun down inside the house before squinting at the silver Volvo once more.
"You'd be those rich kids from the newspaper! Yeah...The ones who play the piano, Tom's kids!" He said while giving the Volvo a cold look.
"Sickening. Beggin' for candy when yous can afford all the candy in the world...Betcha those kids will never have to work for nothin'...That ain't how I raised my boys."
He growls, shaking his head before turning on me and Ben. "And girls...Those be the worst things a man can bring into this world....Tom went and had himself two of em.' " He wheezed, glaring at the still crying Lauren in my arms.
"The only thing girls are good for is housework, makin' babies, and sellin'! The old man wheezed again, laughing a grin that displayed his hideous teeth. glaring at the two little girls behind me.
"We're leaving, you can back off now," I said coldly, trying to calm the still frightened Lauren. I started to walk away before the old man's voice hit out loud enough that even the now pouring rain over gravel couldn't drown him out.

"WHAT DID YOUS JUST SAY, GIRLY!?!" The old man howled madly.
"I didn't stutter!" I shout back hotly, sounding just as aggravated.
"We're leaving!" said Ben, putting an arm around my waist to drag me backwards.
"Not so fast!" said the man, walking slowly over to look me in the face. The rain was coming down in heavy splatters, Lauren remained safe from the water given she was hiding her face under the warm hood of my jacket. I was now becoming soaked.
His now proximity causes me to get a good look at his facial features. Beady muck brown eyes were on a waxy face where even in youth I could never picture it as attractive. His teeth looked worse closer. They look like they're completely covered in plaque, his greasy white shirt looks to be in equal despair.
He cocked his head to look between me and Ben, and then to stare back at me with slight uncertainty. "You's a spittin' image of Katie," he breathed. "Beautiful but no brains."
I swivel my head to toss Ben a bewildered look, one that he returns. Neither of us seem to really know how to explain what just happened.
"Yous watch yourself now, girl. Ain't nobody gonna like that sharp tongue of yours!" the man howled in laughter, soon turning on his heel and hobbling back up his porch steps.
***