Chapter 5)When a stranger knocks..

***
I partially wondered if the Stern children would need therapy after that bizarre encounter. Afterall, it's not every day they have a gun aggressively drawn on them. Oddly enough the kids walked away from the encounter rather indifferent. They seemed to thankfully forget about the experience once we saw two more houses with the lights on. One house offered full-sized candy bars and pumpkin pencil toppers. The kids were fully distracted after that, the strange old man long forgotten. As they engaged in yet another conversation comparing what houses supplied what goodies, Ben finally spoke.
"That was creepy."
"No kidding," I said with a nod, replaying the conversation in my mind. "I wonder who he was referring to."
"Huh?"
"He said I looked like Katie."
"Who knows what he meant. Probably didn't even know what year it is."
I stuck my tongue in cheek as I played the conversation out once more. It was pitch black out the passenger windows; rain was obscuring our view out the windshield. The kids continued chattering in the backseat, a small argument ensued involving what movies we should watch tonight. From the sound of the conversation, Parker wanted the pick of what to watch over his sisters. "The whole encounter was just strange," I mutter to Ben. "I can't even describe how it felt...Like he was saying he knew something we didn't without actually saying it."
Ben kept his eyes on the rainy road ahead as he drove five under the speed limit. His shoulders gave a gentle shrug.
"You know what I can't believe? That the old loon is wealthy enough to live in this area," he mused.
I rolled my shoulders. "Family money, maybe."
There was no one in the ten-mile radius who didn't own a home that was under eight hundred thousand.
"Cassie, can we carve that pumpkin when we get back?" said Parker wrestling his seat buckle into place.
"Sure kiddo," I replied as we made our way back up the Sterns own winding driveway. The rain had now completely stopped. "You guys wanna find more houses now that the rain has stopped?" asked Ben hallway up the driveway.
"No. We want to carve pumpkins now," said Sarah as her brother nodded in eager agreement. Once Ben pulls the Volvo into the multi-car parking area located adjacent to the Stern's garage, I notice there's another car already parked by the five-car garage. Although it's dark out, the heavy illumination of the driveway lights make it visible to see Tyler is standing by his Cherokee. He waves at the car.
"Who's that guy?" Lauren asks curiously. It's then that I remember I had never brought Tyler around to meet the kids during the duration of our dating.
"Her boyfriend," said Ben curtly.
"Alright, you guys make sure you didn't drop any of your candy, I'll be right inside." I exit the Volvo as the kids started exiting as well.
Tyler strides over to greet me with a hug as well as a slight peck on the lips. Although it shouldn't, I'm bothered that he kisses me in front of people. Especially kids. I pull away when he tried closing the distance between us again.
Tyler doesn't notice. "Hiya babe," he greets in his sultry-sweet voice.
Confusion crept in for me.
"What are you doing here?"
"I just wanted to stop by and see you before we leave tonight," said Tyler, smiling down at me. He was misunderstanding me.
"No, I mean...How did you know where the Sterns live?"
Tyler nodded his blond head towards the direction of the Cherokee. I notice Jessica, Lacey, and Bobby are also here. Jessica waves wildly at me from the backseat. The driver's side of the Volvo slams shut as Ben gets out, causing Tyler to turn towards the car. His eyebrows shoot upwards. His eyes and nose are red; his breath gently smelling of Busch. "What's he doing here?" He demanded.
"We're both babysitting."
Tyler snorts. "I thought you were babysitting alone...." he trailed off. His eyes were suspicious.
"We were both called without the other knowing...Simple mix-up," I explain as I watch Jessica watch Ben.
Tyler's eyes narrowed. "You can't come out with me, but you can stay here with the dick who treated you like crap? Nice!"
Tyler cursed under his breath before walking away.
Jess opens the door of the jeep and holds up her hands. "What's wrong?" she mouths at me.

I just shake my head in response. I wouldn'teven know where to begin with explaining what's wrong with mine and Tyler'srelationship.
It seems to be everything nowadays.Lacey has gotten out of the jeep as well, but instead of coming over to talk tome like I thought she was going to, she's rushed over to Tyler. It's the wayshe whispers to him, and the way her hand gently strokes his arm that catchesme off guard. Although I suspected as much, the betrayal from the two of themstill hurts.
"See you later," called Tyler towards me, getting back in his jeep.
Lacey is grinning from ear to ear as she slips into the passenger seat, sparingme both a smirk and a small wave in the process.

It was noticing how Jessica started to climb back into the car that was whatreally had me shocked. She too had noticed Lacey's wave.
"Jess! You're seriously going with them?" My shock was poorly hidden.
Jessica looked helplessly between me and then Bobby in the jeep. "I'm sorryCass...But I really want to go to this party, and I don't want to disappointBobby."
She quickly slides inside before closing the door shut. Nothing more is said,and no one pays me attention as I stepped forward in a bid to talk. Tyler backsthe car up and out of the driveway wildly before taking off down the streetwith a squealing of tires. For a few long moments I can only stare at theirfleeing jeep in stunned silence.
"Unbelievable," I mutter to myself, walking towards the front of the houseto rejoin the kids. A text message hits my phone, and I open it to find it'sfrom Jessica.
Jessica
I'm really REALLY sorry.

A trail of sad faced emojis were typed next. I angrily text back, quicklysliding my thumb across the keyboard before I back space and overthink what Ityped. I repeat the action before I decide to discard my reply. My phone sendsread receipts. The best way to say how I felt was probably to say nothingat all. Once I was closer, I heard Ben speak. "You alright?" He made sure tosay it quietly so the chattering kids couldn't hear him.
I ignore him to search through my bag for the house key. I suddenly couldn'tremember if I had dropped it into my front, middle, or left side pocket. Contentsof my bag rolled in my hands as I searched before I stopped. I briefly lookedup at the front door and I noticed something strange. The kids were obliviousas they seemed to quickly be eating as much candy as they could before me orBen noticed. Meanwhile, Ben was too busy watching me to notice what I wassuddenly looking at.
My face slipped into a frown noticing the front door slightly ajar.
"Uh...Ben?" I nod my head towards the front door.
But Ben was oblivious to what I was referring to. "Go on in, guys. We'll startthat pumpkin in a minute."
"No!" I said with a shake of my head, motioning for Parker and Sarah to stay onthe large wrap-around porch. "I locked the door before we left," I said withcertainty.
Ben raises an eyebrow after he finish tying Lauren's shoe. He stands toinvestigate the front door, looking at the large doorhandle from the outsideand then the inside. "I'm sure you did," he snorted, pushing open the doorand letting the kids scamper past me.
The kids ran inside and quickly made their way to the playroom, flicking onlights in the hall and the room. "Ben, I'm positive I locked it beforewe left." I keep my voice low as to not scare the kids. But they were obliviousto us after they started making room on their arts and crafts table and pullingup the pumpkins, they had kept in the room along with the one Ben had broughtearlier.

"Clearly you didn't, it's okay."
Before he could meet the kids at the table I tugged on the sleeve of his longsleeved short to keep him in place. The contact surprised him. He looked downat my hand before back at my face. "I'm serious. I locked this door." Isuddenly remembered that I had briefly thought someone was watching me beforewe left. Ben took a deep breath through his nose. "Would it make you feelbetter if I look around the house?"
"Absolutely."
***