Chapter 6

What're you doing here Ethan Rivers? He added rudely.

I was just here to see check up on Layla to see if she's okay. Ethan said. And also to know about the health of Mr.'s Thyme.

Thank you very much Mr. Thyme started that you took my wife to the hospital. After that what happened is none of your business.

I'm sorry, I was just trying to-

It's best if you leave now.

But sir-

I said. Mr. Thyme yelled. Get out of my house.

Ethan left at once. I will kill him first before Fate. He thought to himself.

Time was running short. He had to kill Fate but he couldn't do it inside the Hill House. Anna Beth will protect her at all cost. Ethan tried to build up Evanora but his powers failed him. He was standing outside the front door of the Hill House powerless. Anna Beth is strong he thought and she was becoming stronger because of Fate.

You're still here. Fate said from behind him.

Ethan froze and didn't said a word.

"You okay?" Fate asked again.

"I'm ffffine". Ethan stuttered.

"Fate laughed you're funny. We should spend more time together."

And Ethan knew exactly where this was going. He was standing outside the very house he despised with the girl he had to kill. How could she even think of spending time together with a stranger?

"I know a place called "The Beach at Bellaire Mountain." We should go there."

Great! I would ask Layla to come along too. It would be fun. After all the exhausting time we had spent in Hill House.

"Tomorrow?"

"Sure! Fate said with a smile."

Ethan was standing real close to Fate that his breath tickled her forehead. He tilted his head to the side, watching her closely, studying her hard. Very slowly, he smiled. As the smile spread across his face, something fluttered inside Fate and for no reason at all, she smiled back.

"What're you smiling at?" She asked him.

"You're an interesting person." He said.

"Well I've heard the word "STRANGE" used for me, never heard interesting before."

"Anyways, I should be going now."

From her doorsteps, Fate waved to Ethan, who responded with three toots on the horn. Fate was excited but also confused, she has never talked with someone so freely, and yet here was Ethan and his blue eyes were so dreamy that you could almost drown in them. Ethan's yellow truck was out of her sight now, she went back inside and saw Layla curled up on the floor.

"Layla?" She called out. Layla didn't move.

Something was different about her, her face was covered by her hair, Layla was wearing red sweater and blue jeans in the morning now she was wearing a dirty pink frock. Why'd she change her clothes? And why was she lying on the floor?

"Layla what happened to your clothes?"

"I need your help." She whispered.

"Layla. You're scaring me."

She didn't moved a muscle, she was lying still on the floor right under the chandelier. The chandelier started moving, it moaned and groaned. Fate was afraid that it was going to fall off on-. Fate heart was beating faster, she didn't dare go near her friend. She took a deep breath, and carefully placing her steps and sat on one knee besides Layla.

"Layla?" She called out again and grabbed her shoulder. She was warm, so warm in fact that she could burst up in flames. As, Fate was getting her friend's hair out of her face, Layla grabbed her arm and Fate saw that she had long dirty nails and her hand was bruised.

"Help me!" Layla screamed.

"You're hurting me." Fate yelled and she saw that the girl was not Layla, she was someone else, her face was scarred and it was bleeding.

"Help me!" The girl said in an eerie voice.

On seeing her face Fate screamed at the top of her lungs. The ground started to shake, the chain of the chandelier broke it started to swing as if it were ready to fall, ready to kill Fate, the chain broke off and the chandelier started to fall but Elena reached just in time to push her out of its way. It fell with a loud thud on the floor. Elena was breathing heavily, she had Fate in her arms. Fate pushed her aside catching her breath. She covered her face with her hands and started sobbing.

"Fate?" Layla called out running from the stairs. "What happened?"

"Stay away from me." She yelled.

"It's alright." Elena said calmly. "It's over now."

"You're scaring me." Layla said with tears in her eyes.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." Fate said and hugged her.

"Tell me." Layla said again.

"You were"- "I meant I was attacked by a"-

"That chandelier fell off." Elena cut her off and "Fate was standing right under it." "It was a good thing I was here, otherwise she would've gotten seriously injured."

Layla hugged Fate tightly. "What's happening with us?" She whispered in her ear.

"If you're here to meet dad, he's not at home, you just missed him." Layla said rolling her eyes.

"I'm not here to meet him, I'm here to meet Fate."

"Huh?" Fate said dumbly.

"If you don't mind, can I get a cup of tea?" she asked Layla.

Layla faked a smile and said through gritted teeth "I'll be right back."

Elena grabbed Fate's arm and started her way towards the family room.

"Hey!" Fate started but she shushed her. I need to tell you something important.

Before saying anything first tell me, "what on earth was that?"

"I'll explain everything to you, you just have to do exactly what I tell you to do."

"What're you talking about?"

"Listen carefully my child, trust no one, and not even your closed ones. You're in grave danger and remember you're not alone."

Fate was confused and scared, but she managed to speak "I don't understand?"

"You were not born alone, Christina had two children that day, twins she had two beautiful girls but there was something strange about your sister."

"I had a sister and my own mother never told me about her?" "What was her name?" She added.

"It was for your own good Christina wanted to protect you from her." Elena ignored her second question.

"Why."

"She was born with a mark on her head, as you both grew older there was something different about her, She wasn't like any other normal child she loved to practice witchcraft and stuff like that, and one night she tried to kill you."

Elena was telling the story in the background.

*Flashback*

"It all started on a blizzard night when the storm was thick with the cruel some roars of the thunder and the flashes of lightening each producing different shapes matching the heartbeat of a pregnant women, two girls were born leaving their mother with unbearable pain but there was something odd about one twin. She was born with a mark on her head, Christina thought that maybe it would fade away with time but it only became more visible."

"As, you both girls grew older, your sister became interested in witchcraft, she was very much mesmerized by this stuff, she skipped school to practice witchcraft and one night she tried to kill you with a knife to please "THE Devil." Christina was scared so she came to me for help. I took your sister under my care to study her case, and erased your memory of her from your mind.

*Flashback ends*