Chapter 7

"Where is she now?" Fate asked.

"She died."

"How?"

"I don't know." Elena lied.

"But you told me that I was sick and my mom gave me to you, and now you're saying that you kept my sister."

"I lied to you."

"What else did you lied about?"

"What're you doing here?" Mr. Thyme stormed into the family room.

Elena stood up and said "Where is your wife?" She yelled at him.

"Keep your voice down Elena." He growled.

Fate was scared, she had never seen Mr. Thyme so angry his voice was so loud that Layla came running into the room.

"What happened?" Layla said catching her breath.

"You two, out of this room." He ordered.

"Come Fate." Layla grabbed her arm and forced her outside.

"No! Let her stay, she needs to hear this." Elena shouted.

Mr. Thyme came close to her and grabbed her arm tightly.

"Let go of me John." Elena struggled. "You know you can't do anything to me."

"Keep your voice down, you're in Hill house now, you can't"-

"I would destroy you and your precious Hill house and you won't be able to stop me." She pushed him and freed herself. "And for next time" she raised her brow, "Don't even dare to come near me otherwise I'll kill you before her."

She stormed out of the room, as she was making her way to the front door Fate called out from behind her.

"Elena stop."

She spun around and saw Fate standing at the top of the stairs.

"You didn't tell me the name of my sister?"

"It's best if you don't know her name."

"Please, my mother lied to me all her life, and also erased my memory I've a right to know the name of my only sister."

"Her name was Anna Beth."

Fate gasped and said "I heard Mr. Thyme mentioned this name, he was arguing about it with his wife, well! Actually he threatened his wife that if she told me he would the same like he did to Anna Beth, how'd he knew my sister, and what exactly did he do with her.?"

Elena smiled and started nodding her head "You ask too many questions my child, remember this trust no one specially John, and if it's possible for you I suggest you leave Hill house. Here's my card, call me whenever you need me. I'll visit again."

Fate was worried, she couldn't leave Layla alone here, not with that monster, in all this she forgot to tell her about the beach. She found Layla in her room sitting on the floor, her face was red she had been crying.

"Hey! Why're you crying?"

"I've never seen dad so angry before, he scares me now." She said wiping her nose from her sleeves.

Fate hugged and said "it's okay I'm here for you, listen tomorrow we're going to the beach and I won't take no for an answer."

"But Fate my mom is in the hospital, how can I go and just enjoy myself?"

"Staying here won't make her feel any better Lai."

Fate squeezed a dab of sunscreen onto her face and arm and also slathered some on Layla's back, Layla was lying on the sand relaxing. It was a warm Sunday morning and Ethan had driven them to the Bellaire Mountain. Ethan and Fate was sitting on the side of the water. The place was crowded with people and for a second Ethan thought it would be a pretty good chance to kill Fate. This place is loaded with people and no one would suspect him. But there was something about her that Ethan couldn't resist, every time she comes near him, his heart starts to beat faster, his face becomes red and he has this urge to tell her everything. But wait... what's going on, he hated her all his life and now when she's near him, he was this close to killing her, instead he fell for her. How could this even possible? He and Fate cannot be together, Aunt Eve had made this clear on so many occasions, they can fall in love but they can never be together.

"Hello?" Fate snapped her fingers between Ethan's eyes. "What's on your mind?"

"You don't want know." He answered unconsciously.

"I want to know," Fate said "That's why I asked."

He didn't want to tell Fate about her past, or who he was and why he's always trying to find a way to be near her. Fate was so innocent and she didn't know this side of him that he has the capability to actually kill someone, not just someone, her.

"Ethan." Fate tapped her finger on his arm. "What's wrong?"

"Sorry." He flinched then rolled away onto his back. Fate saw the line of his muscles which were now more prominent.

Fate lay back on the sand and covered her face with her scarf. Ethan could smell the sun on her skin.

"So! What's it like, living there in Hill House?"

Fate eyed Layla and saw her sleeping peacefully, this made her smile. "It's like living in hell, but only on earth." Fate joked.

Ethan laughed and said "No silly I heard that mansion is haunted."

Fate laughed "Haunted?"

"You didn't heard the story, the town people tell?"

"What story?"

"Short part is" He started in an eerie voice, "that Hill House is cursed by a ghost of fifteen year old and she wants her revenge."

"Who's the ghost?" She said teasingly.

"Your...- it's getting late, I think we should head home."

"My what? Complete your sentence Ethan. Are you hiding something from me?"

"No! Why would I hide something from you?"

Fate rolled her eyes towards him and went to get Layla. "Hey! Layla wake up, we're leaving."

"Just five more minutes" She yawned and changed her side.

"Layla, come on I brought you here to get some fresh air, and to take a break from that dark house, but instead you've wasted your time sleeping."

Layla yawned again and gave a long weary sigh "It's a good thing that I came here, I'm feeling fresh now."

Fate smiled and nodded her head. "Come on girls, it would get dark soon." Ethan shouted from a distance.

"Coming." Fate responded.

By the time Ethan dropped them home, it had started raining, truck tires hissed against the wet pavement. The African daisy which Mr. Thyme had recently planted was trampled. Fate and Layla waved at Ethan and went inside. As she was passing the driveway she saw that Mr. Thyme red Mazda was not there mercifully, but the left tire of her Sedan was punctured, she let out a sigh.

Layla took out her keys but the door was already opened as if it was waiting for them. The house smelled like strawberry, and Fate remembered that it was her mom's favorite fragrance to wear. As soon as she was inside she slipped of her soggy flip flops and laid restlessly on the couch, Layla was already upstairs in her room. Fate eyes began to close and she was drifting slowly to sleep. She was woken up by the soft tap on her feet, half-awake half slept she shifted onto her right side and drifted back to sleep. 

Please leave a comment and show some love :)