assassin au pt 1

this is the start of a "short" story im writing - was gonna just be a oneshot but it got out of hand lmfao

1348 words

"vik, your target... is harry lewis."

vik barn looked up at his boss and blinked.

they were in simon's house for this meeting, though you could barely call it that. the other four were gone, so it was just the two of them, poring over research and paperwork and organising jobs for everyone.

"who?" he asked in a deadpan, feeling slightly annoyed and confused. he knew the names of all the businessmen around the city, all the politicians and gang leaders, all the people likely to have a hit placed on them. harry lewis rang no bells.

the other man looked at the notes on his phone and read them out in a bored, droning manner. "harry christopher george lewis, lives at 16 gregham avenue, 22 years old, roommates with callum mcginley and callum airey -"

"simon, i've never heard of this harry lewis in my life," vik said flatly. "and you know how much research i've done into the people likely to be wanted dead. i have never heard the name harry lewis - so why the fuck are we getting paid to assassinate him?"

simon sighed. "look, vik, just take the paycheck please. i know it's a bit odd, with a no-name wanted dead, but money is money. we're rising the ranks, but we're still not the biggest assassin group around, so these are the sort of jobs we get." the tall man dragged a hand through his pale blond hair.

vik shrugged. "how much am i gonna get paid for this though? he's a fucking no-name, i'm not taking time out of my day to murder someone just to get a twenty dollar note. money is money and i need lots of it, that's why i took up your offer with the assassinating thing, not just to make a few tenners every time i stick a knife in someone's throat."

"the client is paying us... $1000," simon said, checking his phone and ignoring the obvious annoyance in vik's voice. "so with the rest of us taking our cut of 20%, that's $800 for you. not a bad price for a no-name. i'd take it, vik."

simon and vik had been close friends, even before the whole assassin thing. simon had dropped out of university and ended up working as a freelance assassin for gangs around london, eventually setting up his own company - the sidemen. the sidemen consisted of six members: simon, vik, josh bradley, ethan payne, jj olatunji, and tobi brown.

compared to them, vik was a newcomer, the most recent man to join the group. he needed cash and had always known of the boys and their less than pleasant method to make cash - as a freelance video editor and coder, money was tight, which was why he had finally accepted simon's offer to join the sidemen. not because he enjoyed killing - none of them did - but it was a way to earn money, a means to an end. that didn't mean vik still didn't feel guilty for the people the sidemen killed.

the shorter boy chewed anxiously on his lip. on one hand, harry christopher george lewis most likely hadn't done anything to warrant assassination. on the other hand, $800 would go a long way to pay the bills for him and help his mum afford her cancer treatment.

"i don't like this, simon," he finally said, after minutes of quiet deliberation. "but i guess i'll do it."

simon smiled grimly and clapped him on the back. "it's hard to get used to it," he murmured. "trust me, i know how it feels. we all do." he drew back and returned to sorting out finances for the group. "good luck, vik - the client set a deadline of a month."

vik nodded and got to work.

time to find and kill harry lewis.

---

the finding part was easier than expected.

a few quick searches online pulled up photos of harry on facebook, mostly from high school. he had light, casually messy brown hair, brown eyes and pale skin, and from the videos vik found, he had a distinct accent originating from his guernsey roots. he lived in a decent sized flat at 16 gregham avenue with two callums, who both regularly featured in photos with him.

harry also used to have an ex-boyfriend, and vik's eyes lit up as he found a picture of his mark with a random black-haired boy called cameron. a plan started forming in his head, and he grinned as he got up and prepared to go on a walk. a walk that would coincidentally go past 16
gregham avenue, which coincidentally had a bench near it which he could sit on and wait until harry came out or returned home.

and come out harry did, at 3.15pm, with the two callums in tow. vik carefully didn't look at them as he bent down to retie his shoelaces and watched their feet walk away. a few seconds later, he got up, stretched, and leisurely wandered in the direction they went. he tailed them inconspicuously all the way to a quaint little coffee shop at the corner of two streets, called moonbucks according to the gaudy silver sign at the front. vik made sure to enter the coffee shop a minute after the trio.

he repeated his process for the next two days, and harry stuck to his routine every day - leaving home at around 3-3:30pm to go to moonbucks. he'd wake up at around 9, eat, edit some stuff for his freelance work, eat, do more work, go to moonbucks with the callums, go home, eat, play games and sleep.

deciding he could now safely afford to take a meaningful step forward in his mission, vik lounged in the corner of moonbucks, sipping on a flat white and pretending to look at his phone.

right on time, the door swung open and in came a trio of three boys, all laughing loudly. vik made sure to keep his eyes mostly on his phone and drink, sneaking glances at the group of boys as they ordered their drinks and food and sat down at a booth not far from him. perfect.

as if on cue, harry looked up and met his gaze. vik forced a dark, guilty blush and looked away, casually reading the menu and avoiding looking at them. he could hear the three of them all whispering to each other, and then he could hear approaching footsteps.

"hey," said harry lewis to a man hired to kill him. "uh, this might seem a bit, uh, forward, but can i get your number? please?" he added, sounding adorably awkward. vik turned to see him with his hands shoved into his pockets, shifting his weight from foot to foot. vik smiled at him and made a show of fishing around in his jacket for a pen, scrawling the number of his new phone, the one he'd acquired specifically for the job, on a napkin.

"what's your name, oh mysterious stranger?" vik asked as he slid over the napkin. harry eagerly pocketed it and smiled widely.

"i'm harry, harry lewis," he said.

"i'm victor brians," vik replied, the fake name flowing easily off his tongue. "but you can call me vic. you can also call me tonight, if you'd like." he winked and stood up, finishing the rest of his coffee and strolling out of the coffee shop, gently nudging harry's shoulder with his own.

he could feel harry's eyes on his back, and a broad grin spread across his face, as well as a nagging guilt in his stomach. as soon as he'd found the photos of harry and cameron online, he'd figured out an angle to approach the job. it still felt wrong to manipulate someone into a relationship just to kill them, to use their sexuality against them in such a way, but it was the best idea he'd had.

vik got home and waited patiently for harry to text him. he wasn't disappointed.

harry: is this victor?

victor: it is :)

harry is typing...