assassin au pt 2

1303 words

"how's it going with harry lewis, vik?"

vik looked up from his laptop and squinted at simon, eyes swiftly adjusting to the lack of bright screen.

"good," he said off-handedly. "i'm meeting him for a 'date' this afternoon. i've made really good progress this past week - i'll definitely be able to off him in a month."

"so you're going for the romance angle, huh?" simon asked with a smirk. vik chuckled, cheeks turning a bit red.

"i found a photo of him and his ex online," he said with a shrug. "figured i'd try it. don't worry, simon, i can do this."

"i don't doubt that," simon said, but then his face grew darker and more solemn. "just... make sure not to get too deep into the fake romance. it might not turn out to be completely fake, and then, well... you're in trouble." his voice was low and serious.

"there's a story here," vik said, swallowing awkwardly. "are you speaking from experience, simon?" the air was tense.

"her name was talia," simon said, sounding like he was forcing the words out. "i thought it would be easy, to date her and then kill her. turns out it wasn't so easy."

the older man exhaled sharply. "my client saw that i was compromised. they cancelled the contract, gave it to another assassin." he laughed bitterly. "i thought maybe i could protect her, keep loving her, keep her in the dark. i found her dead on the floor a week later."

vik's throat felt tight. "that's not gonna happen to me," he said. "simon, it's gonna be fine. everything's going to be okay."

simon just gave him a look. "i hope for your sake that you're right. because if you're not..." he trailed off.

"it's going to be fine," vik said forcefully, and checked his watch. "i have to go now. bye."

"be careful," simon yelled, but vik was already out of the building, the door slamming shut behind him.

---

"victor!" harry called and waved when vik came into moonbucks. vik smiled and walked over to sit by him in a comfortable corner booth.

"how've you been since yesterday's trip to the zoo?" vik asked as he got comfortable beside harry. the blond man smiled at him warmly and slung his arm around the back of vik's seat, fingers not far from his shoulder.

a week had passed since vik had been given the job to assassinate harry. they'd spoken a lot through text messages and met up at restaurants and parks and stuff everyday, with vik coincidentally being free whenever harry was.

"pretty good," harry said. "just finished some of my work and went out for a couple of drinks with the cals." he paused. "that is, the two guys who come with me and get me afterwards all the time, they're both called callum." vik nodded and carefully didn't let it show on his face that he already knew who the cals were and what harry had done yesterday, and every other day.

"sounds like you had a good time," vik said, inching slightly closer to harry. "i pretty much did the same - went home and did some coding, then went to a friend's place."

"uh, i've already ordered our food, by the way," harry said, sounding sheepish. "i - i remembered your drink order from when we went to get coffee two days ago, and i just got us bits of baking and sandwiches, since you seemed to like the sandwiches we got yesterday at the park."

"you remembered my orders?" vik repeated, sounding surprised and impressed. harry nodded and rubbed the back of his neck.

"yeah, i know that sounds really creepy, but i'm just attentive," harry explained, teeth snagging his bottom lip. vik leaned his left shoulder against harry's right shoulder and smiled at him.

"it's fine," he said, pointedly letting his hand rest in plain sight on his jean-clad leg. "i think it's pretty cute, actually." harry turned red, but grinned at him.

right on time, a waiter came over carrying two plates, each continuing a chicken sandwich and a piece of cheesecake, and another waiter approached holding a flat white and a cappuccino.

"so tell me about yourself," harry said after a few minutes of comfortable science. vik finished sipping on his coffee and set down the cup gently, dragging his tongue over his top lip to get the residue milk off. he could see harry's eyes follow the movement.

"what kind of stuff do you want to know?" vik arched an eyebrow and took another bite of his sandwich.

"you know, your family, your interests..." harry waved his hand around airily and shrugged. "we've talked about me a lot before. i want to know about you."

"i don't have any siblings," vik said truthfully. "my parents live in winchester, but we had... disagreements about my choice in career, so i don't really talk to them."

that was a lie. his mum was in hospital suffering from lung cancer, and his dad was dead.

harry's eyes softened, and he shifted his arm from around his chair to around vik's shoulders. the shorter boy felt an odd whooping sensation in his chest when harry's fingers brushed against the skin of his upper arm.

"my family still lives in guernsey," harry murmured. "you already know that, i think. i fly back to visit them sometimes, but it's... hard. they weren't big on me moving to london and doing editing as a job. they still try and convince me to get a 'real job' sometimes."

vik nodded. "it's hard," he echoed and sighed. "anyway, moving on from that depressing topic. what sort of stuff do you like?"

"i like games," harry said immediately and laughed. "and i also like just listening to music and watching videos on youtube and stuff. what about you?"

"i like games as well," vik grinned. "plus casual reading and, like, photography and stuff. i enjoy keeping photo albums."

"that's adorable," harry said, lips tilted into a slight upwards curve. "you're adorable." vik felt a calloused hand slip into his own smooth one, fingers threading together. his heart skipped a beat.

his throat felt tight, so instead of replying, vik just rested his head in the crook of harry's neck and closed his eyes.

you have to kill him, his traitorous logical mind hissed. you're getting paid to kill him. don't be stupid. didn't you listen to what simon said? he fell in love with his mark. look what happened to them.

but vik just ignored the constant reminders from his own brain that the date was fake, the love was fake. instead of planning the exact spot to wedge his blade, or thinking of the right time to slip poison into his cup, he talked quietly with harry until the skies turned dark and it was time to leave.

harry and vik stood outside on the pavement, hands still interlaced.

"do you want to come back to mine?" harry asked, voice low and eyes dark. vik looked up at him and felt the pounding in his ears grow louder, his heart feeling like it was about to leap out of his chest.

"okay," vik breathed. "okay." he let harry lead him away, even though he knew exactly where his house was, and tried not to think about how big a mistake he was making.

then the door swung closed behind them and he felt harry press his back roughly against the wall, one hand on his waist and another on his jacket collar. lips, smooth and warm, pressed against his own, moulding smoothly and moving together.

vik found it hard to think of anything at that point.

simon went to vik's house to check up on how the afternoon went. he found it empty.

this was so awkward to write omfg