Chapter 2

Odette felt terrible, she hadn't cried this much since forever.
"Odette is that you?" Asked Mérante looking upon the woman curled up.
When Odette turned to face Mérante, he didn't expect her to be crying. Odette never cried, at least not in front of anyone. He looked into her blue eyes, they were shattered. He hadn't noticed before how pale she had gotten and how defined her cheek bones had gotten.

He knelt down beside her but didn't know what to do. Before he could say anything, Odette laid her head on his shoulder and continued crying softly. Her tears made his shirt get wet but he didn't notice or if he did he didn't care. Mérante froze, he didn't know what to do, he had never seen Odette cry, not like this. He finally had the courage to push head away from his shoulder. She looked pale, her shattered eyes looked into his. His heart broke, he could not bare to see Odette like this
"Odette why are you crying" Asked Mérante  gently caressing her cheek.
"Félicie" she mumbled before pulling him closer to her.
Mérante didn't realise how attached Odette was to Félicie, he hadn't thought about how much it would have affected her.
"Louis, Régine fired me" Stammered Odette as she wiped her tears away.
A flood of rage filled Mérante, he had warned Régine not fire Odette, but he couldn't show it, not in front of Odette it would make her feel worse.

Mérante got up and with one swift movement picked Odette up one hand around her waist and then other just below her knees. Odette tried to push him away from her.
"Odette let me help you" Mérante said gently as a carriage pulled up in front of them, she stopped fighting him. Mérante slowly put her in the coach and sat in there as well, the entire time it was silence. As they reached his home, he noticed she was asleep, he picked her up again and took her inside his house. He placed her gently on the bed and pulled the blanket over her.