One-Shot

Clementine opened the door to the bell tower and walked in with the help of her crutches. It wasn't so bad really, she was getting used to it now. Stairs were no longer a problem, she was able to fish and even killed her first walker since she lost her foot. She was regaining confidence and feeling more useful to the group. Clementine was also learning to trust her friends more, allowing them to handle responsibilities she would have never trusted anyone to handle but herself.

Clementine stared up at the broken staircase leading to a platform high above. Now if she could only climb to the top of this dumb tower. She leaned her crutches against the wall, balancing on one foot as she stared up. She had slipped with two feet, she didn't know if she could manage with one. Clementine reached up, finding a hand hold. She used her left knee to balance as she pulled her right foot onto the beam that once held the staircase.

Using her hands and knee for support she somehow managed to shimmy all the up to the window. Clementine reached up, grabbing the windows ledge and pulled herself up into sitting position. This was the part she was most concerned about, jumping from here to the remaining piece of staircase that led to the top of the bell tower.

Clementine braced herself against the wall as she stood, trying to judge the distance, wondering if she had enough power in one leg without a running start to make the jump. She moved as close to the edge as she could, swinging her arms in preparation for the jump. She took a deep breath, crouching as low as she could, a loaded spring ready to leap forward when the creaking sound of the door below made her pause.

"What do you think you're doing?" Violet's chastising voice floated up to Clementine.

"N-nothing..." Clementine shrugged, knowing she got busted but trying to play it off anyway.

"Clementine, get back down here right now, you're going to break something." Violet folded her arms, glaring up at the brunette.

Clementine sat back down on the window ledge, looking around for a foot hold, she laughed at her own predicament, "I think I'm stuck..."

Violet shook her head with a roll of her eyes and began the climb up. She was proficient at the climb, Clementine could tell that she had done it many times. She effortlessly reached up, grabbing on to beams, sticking her foot in holes in the masonry without even having to look. Moments later she was sitting on the window ledge next to Clementine.

"Hey." Clementine smiled, taking hold of her hand as she was met with a cold stare.

"What were you thinking?" Violet asked, anger in her voice.

"You're mad, but I'm just happy to see you." Clementine flashed the most charming smile she could muster but Violet's glare held strong, "I was thinking that I wanted to star gaze with you again sometime." Clementine smiled warmly at the blonde, hoping to melt her cold exterior, "And I can't do that if I can't climb the tower."

Violet rolled her eyes, "We can star gaze from the ground, you don't have to be so reckless."

"It wouldn't be the same," Clementine frowned, rubbing Violet's hand with her own, "this is our place. Our special place. It's where we had our first kiss..."

Violet looked sadly at the girl next to her, not exactly sure what to say.

"You know, that night, when you asked me to come up here with you to 'check the defenses', is that really what you wanted to bring me up here for or were you intending on seducing me the whole time?" Clementine grinned as Violet blushed.

"I wasn't... I didn't..." Violet floundered, Clementine chuckled and leaned in to kiss her cheek. "I liked you from the second I saw you walking confidently across the courtyard, okay?" Violet admitted quietly, "or I was at least attracted to you, um, physically...."

"Awwww, you totally had a crush on me!" Clementine leaned in to Violet's shoulder, enjoying how embarrassed she was getting.

Violet rolled her eyes and continued, "As I talked to you and started getting to know you, it became more than physical... and yes, I invited you to the bell tower because I wanted to talk to you more. I wasn't intending on telling you how I felt, I just really wanted to be with you without everyone else around... The telling you how I felt... just sort of... happened..."

"I'm glad that it did." Clementine squeezed her hand and interlocked their fingers. "I almost went with Louis that night."

"What??" Violet's eyes got wide as she stared at Clementine, "I mean... I knew Louis liked you, he wasn't trying to hide it... but... did you really like him back?" Violet looked wounded at the thought.

"No! No, Louis is nice and all, but he's more like a brother to me." Clementine spoke quickly to reassure her girlfriend, "I almost went with Louis because I didn't know if I could be alone with you without telling you how I felt and I was afraid that you didn't feel the same way. If you hadn't said you were checking on the defenses, I would have stayed with Louis." Clementine shook her head at the thought of missing out on their magical moment under the stars. "I came with you because it was the practical thing to do, but I'm glad that it turned out the way it did."

Violet wrapped her arms around Clementine, kissing her quickly on the lips, "Me too." They sat in silence for a minute, each thinking about their night under the stars, how surprised they each were that the other reciprocated their feelings, feeling warm inside just being together.

"I'm going to help you get down now." Violet took her hand back and patted Clementine's knee. Clementine groaned but nodded her head in agreement. "Maybe I can get Louis to help me make a pulley system, so you can pull yourself up to the top. He's pretty good at making those traps."

Clementine smiled at the thoughtful idea, "That's a great idea." Violet rotated onto her stomach, lowering herself down, beckoning Clementine to do the same. Violet stayed just below her as she helped her safely reach the bottom. Violet grabbed the crutches and handed them to Clementine.

"Ruby and Aasim have been scouring the books in the library to try and make you a prosthetic foot. They are making a prototype right now. It looks more like a peg leg though if I'm being honest."

Clementine grinned at the idea of being able to get around without the crutches again, "That's amazing, I'm lucky to have all of you, even if they're trying to turn me into a pirate." Violet smiled as she opened the door of the bell tower, waiting for Clementine to exit before closing the door behind them.