Two-Shot

Clementine was sitting in the music room, feeling very self-conscious as everyone in the school stood around her staring.

"Does... everyone really need to be here for this?" Clementine asked nervously as she sat on the piano bench, looking around at all the faces. Ruby kneeled in front of her, attempting to fit the new limb onto her stump.

"We're all just excited to see how it works." Violet sat behind her on the piano bench, arms wrapped around her waist, resting her head on Clem's shoulder.

"Everyone just wants to laugh at me when I fall on my face." Clementine mumbled.

"Ain't nobody gonna laugh at you Sug." Ruby reassured as she adjusted the straps on the contraption. It was basically the bottom of a crutch, cut to length, attached to an oddly perfect shaped vase they found in the greenhouses. Some padding was added for comfort and a belt harness kept it all attached just below her knee. "How does that feel?"

"Not bad," Clementine picked up her prosthetic foot and shook it around to make sure it was secure. "feels good, thanks Ruby, Aasim."

"Don't thank us yet." Aasim said wryly, "We're not even sure if it works."

"Let's find out shall we?" Clementine took a deep calming breath. AJ ran to stand beside her, ready to support her if needed. Louis stood in front reaching both of his hands out to her, she took them gratefully. Clementine planted her foot and prosthetic firmly on the ground and stood hesitantly. Louis kept her steady as she found her balance. Violet was perched behind her, ready to catch her should she fall backwards.

"I think I'm okay, you can let go." Clementine said, warily pulling her hands from Louis, she teetered in place briefly, grabbing at Louis's coat, clutching it desperately to steady herself.

Violet stood up from behind her and moved to her side. "Maybe put your arm around me while you get used to it? Take a few practice steps?" Violet looked at the brunette with concerned eyes, but tried not to show it, she knew Clementine hated being pitied.

"Yeah, okay." Clementine agreed, slowly letting go of Louis's hands and wrapping her arm around Violet's shoulders. AJ stood at her other side, she put a hand on his arm for support and took several tentative steps around the room.

"Does it feel alright?" Ruby asked, "Do we need to make any more adjustments?"

"I think it's good..." Clementine grinned from ear to ear, getting a taste of the freedom she had once taken for granted.

"It's important not to rush it," Aasim told her seriously, "the books say that it takes time to get used to it, try and go too fast without support and you could really hurt yourself."

"Me? You're worried about me? Trying to push myself?" Clementine waved him off.

"Not you, never." Violet said sarcastically, leaning in and kissing Clementine on the cheek.

Louis handed Clementine back her crutches pointing towards the exit excitedly. Clementine nodded in understanding.

She put her crutches back under her arm, careful to pick her prosthetic all the way off the ground so that she wasn't dragging it or tripping over it. She followed Louis outside where he waved his arm with a 'Tah-Dah!' flourish. They had installed two bars, that looked like handrails right next each other, parallel to the ground at Clementine's waist level.

"So you can practice, as much as you want, Aasim saw it in a therapy book. Me and Louis put them in while you were sleeping last night." Violet said.