Chapter 4: Reparation

Throughout the rest of the day, Midoriya said nothing else. He simply listened to the lesson and occasionally wrote something down quietly. Ochaco kept trying to find a time to apologize to him but she could never quite get the words out. But then again, she wasn't entirely sure what to say. 'Way to go Ochaco,' she thought to herself as she watched him leave the school grounds alone. 'You may have just chased off a potential friend.'

Izuku left for the dormitories as soon as possible and although he tried not to his mind kept drifting back to the girl with short-cut brown hair that had talked to him earlier. He silently cursed himself for thinking he might ever make a friend here. 'No matter what happens you're still just a quirkless reject,' he thought to himself. 'And that's all they'll ever see.'

He finally got to his new dorm room which he had moved into earlier that day. It was very simply decorated with a couple of his belongings from home and a single framed picture on his desk. He put his things on the desk then sat down on his bed and put his head in his hands. For a while, he sat there and took deep breaths: in, out, in out. I single tear escaped from his eye which he quickly wiped away before standing up again. He looked over at the framed picture on his desk before walking over to it and sitting down at the chair in front of you.

He carefully picked up the photo off his desk to look at it. The picture depicted three people smiling in their home. On the left was a woman with dark green hair and in her arms was a very happy and excited looking toddler who had the same colored hair as the woman holding him. A small smile played across his lips as he looked at the two but as his eyes drifted to the third person his smile wavered. Standing on the right of the picture was a tall man with a strong build who had his arm around his wife and son. His finger hesitantly touched the image of the man on the right.

The following day Ochaco went looking for Midoriya after class. But just like during lunchtime the previous day it was almost as if he had vanished. She once again searched the common student areas and even the library but still couldn't find any sign of him. Eventually, as she was passing by the gym she could hear grunts and heavy breathing from inside. She turned towards the noise, baffled and slowly inched the door open to reveal where the green-haired boy had been hiding.

The boy was in his PE clothes throwing kicks and punches at a punching bag. He was sweating and breathing heavily. It seemed like he had been doing this for a while. She quietly entered the room. "Hi,"

Izuku turned around to see who was there, his eyes widened a bit at seeing the friendly girl.

"I was wondering where you had run off to. I guess I finally found you,"

"Why are you talking to me?" he said quietly.

Ochaco looked hurt at the words and Izuku quickly started muttering.

"No, I'm sorry I didn't mean it like that. Damn it Izuku you're such an idiot!"

"Then what did you mean?"

Izuku took a deep breath, "Well I assumed you wouldn't want anything to do with me after I told you I was quirkless. That's what happens with most people."

"What? No! I came over here to apologize."

"For what?"

"For making you feel the way I did. I didn't think about what I was saying and I didn't mean to make you feel worthless or something like that."

She looked up from her words to see Midoriya looking at her open-mouthed.

"What?" she asked.

"This is the first time that anyone has ever apologized to me for that. Let alone tried to find me for it."

"Well I've been feeling really bad about it and you seem interesting,"

"Thanks?"

She raised her hand towards him open-palmed. "Friends?"

For the first time, the boy gave her a genuine smile which left a strange warm sensation in her gut. He took her hand and shook it.

"Friends."

"Hey, you think you could show me some of your fighting moves some time?"

"Only if you promise to show me yours,"

"Deal,"