11-Lucas' situation

i usually dedicate these to Olivia but this one is for you, Bugár.

köszönöm, hogy az egyetlen, aki törődik velem. a világot jelented nekem.

⋆𝕝𝕦𝕔𝕒𝕤

I trudge back to the car, soaked and tired.
"I didn't mean to tip the boat." I say yet again.
"Well I didn't mean to think you were capable of dealing with a hornet appropriately." He says mocking me.
"In my defence it was moving very fast- for a bee." I clarify.
"And so were you." He retorts.
"Okay so I tipped the boat. At least we didn't get stung." I reply.
"Just put your clothes in the boot." Father orders.
"But then I'll have nothing else to wear!" I answer astonished at his suggestion.
"I am not having you catch another cold in those wet clothes. You can wear my pullover, lucky I kept it in the trunk."
He explains.
I put on his pullover and sit back in the car. The next hour is filled with shameful silence and awkwardness. I don't know if you've ever been sat soaking wet in your underwear in a car with your father after capsizing a boat due to a bumblebee scare that turned out to be a hornet, but funnily enough, I have and it's not a great experience.
I walk in the front door to be immediately greeted by mother.
"Good heavens above! What has happened to you both?!" She explains.
"Somebody here decided to tip the boat upside down all because of a hornet." Father tells her.
"I've got a good mind not to let you out tonight Lucas Alexander." Mother tells me off.
"But mother! I thought it was a bee! You wouldn't have wanted me to get stung would you? I could be allergic!" I try pleading with her.
"Fine, fine dear. Just come through and get some vapour rub put on your chest. You too sir!" She says looking towards my father.
I sit down on the pouffe in the lounge as mother applies the cream to my chest.
"Did you at least have a good time up until... up until Lucas' situation?" Mother asks us. "Lucas' situation." Amazing summary my dear mother.
My father and I exchange looks and say nothing.
"I'm sure it was lovely and you both learned a great lesson." She says.
"I learned that fishing is cold and boring. And so is father." I remark. My mother looks at me in shock and I get up and leave.
********************************************

"Lucas, we are going to grandmas. Should be back late so phone if you need anything." I hear my mother shout up the stairs.
"Okay mother." I reply.

I open my large oak cupboard widely and stare into the abyss. I gape at all the colours, all the materials and all the styles. Most things I'm not
allowed to wear out or my parents don't know about but that is irrelevant.
I wonder what Adam would want me to wear. What would he like? I ask myself while running my hands on a wooden hanger, trying to pull it off the rack. I take it down and place it on my bed. It's a pink hoodie that I couldn't even remember owning. I find some mom jeans and slip into them too.

Then, I get an idea. I skip briskly through the hall and down the stairs. I glance around quickly to check for anyone about just in case before opening a small drawer.
I look down at the small drawer and see a mix of random objects; rope, glue, elastic bands, tape, and just what I'm looking for.
I pick up the sacred item and hop back up to my room. I close the door behind me quietly.
I take my hoodie into the bathroom.
I lay it down on the toilet and look for a pen.
I draw out a line and use my sacred item to cut along it. My parents would kill me if they found out I was wearing a crop top.

I hold up my masterpiece and squeal. I've never worn something like this before. Especially in front of someone I like as much as Adam Redd.
I slip it over my slender shoulders slowly as I adjust to this odd sensation. It feels odd to have my stomach exposed but at the same time I feel daring, as if I am ready to take on the world.

As if we are ready to take on the world.

I saunter over to my night stand and look at myself in the mirror. I need one more thing.
A man on a mission, I trot through to my parents room, opening the door with a crack.
I glance about but can't see what I need.
I go into their bathroom and catch a glimpse of myself again.
I look down towards my left to find just what I'm looking for. I pick up the makeup bag carefully and sit on the bathtub edge with the pouch in my lap.

I rummage through the delicate brushes and distinct blushes.
I pick up a thin brush and look down at the options. I settle on a colourful yet natural blush colour and apply it lightly. It feels odd to be doing something like this but so right at the same time.
I feel bold
I feel brave
I feel beautiful
I feel me.
The most me I have ever been.
Who knew such a tiny thing could affect someone so much.
I look back into the mirror to meet myself with a warm smile. Perfect.

I skip out the door feeling better than ever.
I briskly walk in the crisp evening air until I can see a figure in the horizon.
"Adam Redd." I announce proudly.
"Lucas." He announces equally proudly.

After a couple minutes of comfortable silence he breaks it "Where does the lad live then?" He asks.
"Just down the next street." I smile back as I gaze into his umber eyes.

We knock and wait patiently at Håkons door.
"Ah!" His mother says when seeing us. "Håkon kjære! Kom ned! Din venn et her!" She shouts up to him. Adam and I exchange a confused look and his mother chuckles. "Hvilken?" I hear him.
"De homo!" She replies and I immediately hear shout back "Mum!!" As Håkon comes rushing down the stairs.
He puts on his jacket and kisses his mother goodbye.
"You are going to introduce me to him?"  He asks.
"Oh yeah. This is my.. my good friend Adam." I explain.
"I recognise him! Westend boy?" Håkon asks.
"Yeah, I went to Westend. I think we were in the same Business class a couple years back." Adam says.
"Ah! Popular Adam?" He says happily.
We all laugh a little to fill the awkwardness.
"You never with him before?" He questions me.
"Well, I ran into him recently again." I say.
"Quite literally!" Adam guffaws.

We arrive early and walk straight to the counter where a tall man is standing.
"Hi what can I get for you?" He asks.
"One lane please." Håkon answers.
The man nods.
"Shoe sizes?"
"2 sevens and..."
"A nine" Adam finishes Håkons sentence.
He hands us the shoes and a card with a little number on it. The towering man walks us to our lane then asks our names.
"Adam, Håkon and Lucas" I answer.
"How do you spell the second name?" he asks.
"As it sounds. H a k o n." Håkon explains.
He types them in and turns on the screen.
"If you need more names inserted, press this button." the worker tells.
We nod and smile.
"Who's up first?" Adam asks.
"Best be you, it's in alphabetical order" I tell him.
He picks out a large shiny blue ball and gets into his stance. He carefully sweeps back a stray hair and looks back at me with a smirk. He rolls it down the aisle and it knocks most of them down.
"Yes!" he cheers and we high-five.
Next it is Håkons turn, he picks out a ball and gets ready. He carefully throws the ball straight down the aisle, only leaving one.
This ought to be an interesting night for me.