TWELVE - Heirlooms

With Governor Ewald and his entourage gone, Noire Mansion once again returned to its miserable state of solitude. Teardrop-shaped crystals that hung from the chandeliers twinkled dimly as Mr. Murkwood extinguished melted candles one by one. The dining room chairs resumed their forlorn squatting. Even the wallpaper appeared less lively. Its patterned flower and bird print became ugly weeds and vultures.

Expelling a hum as he sat behind an ornate desk in his private office, Orton brushed aside loose papers, broken ink pens that left permanent smears of black everywhere, and empty teacups with dried, moldy interiors. The rest of the room was in a similarly tragic condition.

It had been a year, Zenetra reminded herself as she circled the room. She had been unreachable for an entire year during fight training. Mentally berating herself for not visiting during the few days between the end of fight training and the beginning of field training, she began clearing away the mess of papers lying in piles on the floor.

"Ah, leave it, Zen," said Orton from his chair. "There's no need for you to do that. I'll have Mr. Murkwood clear this up lickety-split."

Zenetra picked up an armful of crumpled balls of paper and stuffed them into the trash bin until it began to overflow. "I know I was gone awhile, Papa, but you've never been this messy before. Is something wrong?"

"Wrong?" Orton's eyebrows crawled up into his hairline. "No. Nothing to concern yourself with. I've just been a bit scattered lately."

Zenetra brushed some dust off the fireplace mantle with her finger. "Should we hire an understudy for Mr. Murkwood or another manager to handle things at work?"

"The shipyard and the roamer factory are as fine as can be," said Orton, waving his hand dismissively at the suggestion. "Now, I must say. This has been an eventful evening. I haven't spoken to Gustav in quite some time. I had nearly forgotten how he dominates every conversation. For so long I thought my old acquaintances had forgotten all about me."

"Papa." 

Orton seemed to pick up on her fretful tone and mistook it for pity. His quick, "Not that I'm lonesome, mind you," halted Zenetra's cleaning minstrations. 

"I'm sorry he brought up Xuxa. Shame about his son, though. Did you ever meet him?"

"Medwyn," said Orton. "Two years older than Xuxa and a frightfully needy child. He lacked a philtrum—that depression between our noses and mouths—but that's all I can remember about his appearance. Your grandparents met him once at a party. Sebastian and Celeste were two of the finest people in the nation, but an animosity grew between them and the senior Ewalds. Gustav's parents were lavish people."

"So are the Noires."

"Not at that time, Zen. The Noire family was rich in respect and honor, yes, but it was your Mamma who added all this wealth." Orton sighed. "Sometimes I miss your grandfather. With this election, well, now I miss Áki."

Zenetra thought of the self-portrait by her bedside. Her great-grandfather painted himself in youth, but no image remained of him in his elder years. It was a shame flashers were only invented after his death. Imagining him growing from the skinny young teenager she saw in paint to the stately man she only read about was nigh on impossible.

"Was he really that great of a leader?"

Orton settled into his chair. "Áki? He was a trained killer, Zen. A life dedicated to stopping enemies and protecting his people. He knew how to govern justly and when needed—mercilessly."

"But what was he like?"

"Mr. Tedman knew him best. It was almost as if Charlie came with Guild Square! He was around well before I met your Mamma." Orton's browline indented to form one long line of hair. He seemed to realize that wasn't much of an answer. "Áki was a strict and severe man, but sometimes he would say things that made you buckle with laughter. Sebastian was the opposite. He always spoke with an inflection of humor but his seriousness was palpable. Both men knew how to catch a person off guard. That was why they were so good at what they did."