Chapter 2

Today was July 31st which officially marked my one month work anniversary which wasn't much compared to some people around here but it was a lot for me. Moving to an entirely different country wasn't easiest in the slightest but I was luckier than some people.

I thought I was coming into this job as a human resources administrator but truthfully, I dabbled in everything.

Mostly I did the duties in my job description but then there were days like today.

"Alena." The chief marketing officer's voice began as he walked into my office, "I need you and Emma from fashion design to do something very important today."

I looked up from my computer, "What is it, David?"

"We're going to the palace to fit the royal family for their upcoming events. I feel like this would be good for you because - " David spoke before I cut him off

I shook my head, "Say no more David, I'll be happy to go. When are we leaving?"

He looked down at his watch, "Thirty minutes. So go clean up a bit."

David handed me a lanyard to wear there. I immediately fixed my hair and makeup. I had to change into a knee-length dress to be "royal family ready". I helped Emma and David load up David's car full of clothes and other things we would need for the fitting.

Emma and I were actually pretty close. Her office was right next door to mine and we started working around the same time as each other. We were the closest in age compared to the rest of our coworkers. She grew up in Doncaster which was in northern England. Plus I enjoyed her easy-going personality and quick mouth.

Emma poked her head into the front seat, "I have never been to Buckingham Palace. Plus, we're actually going to meet the royal family? And to think that this day was starting off bad. David, how many times have you been to the palace?"

She had a tendency to ramble when she got excited.

"Twenty-one times and counting," David answered her question as he drove, "And for Christ's sake don't walk in there all gobsmacked."

"We won't, we'll be cool as a cucumber," I assured David but I wished the ride to the palace was a little longer.

We had to go through a whole security check to make sure we weren't trying to kill the royal family.

It was so cool to see the paintings of all of the old kings, queens, princesses, and princes. It was just fascinating how cool and formal the palace was.

I got to meet the fucking king!

Like what?

He was so tall in real life, well, 6'1, but taller than I thought he would be.

"It seems my children and father are running late, but they should be here at any moment." King Winston spoke as an older woman walked through the door. You could tell her hair had been dyed to hide her greys, she had to at least be in her late fifties.

"Darling!" King Winston turned as Emma tried to hem his pants. She made a face as he turned.

"Your highness," Emma's voice squeaked.

The king turned around, "This is my wife, Ruth the duchess."

She gave me a small smile, "Nice to meet you."

"You too, duchess." I spoke nervously

I helped her pick out a dress and shortly then after, three girls walked in.

"Ah! Girls! Finally." King Winston stood up from his chair, "Meet Matilda, Victoria, and Alexandra. Three of my four children."

Matilda was the oldest and she looked like she was around my age. Victoria looked to be in her late teens and Alexandra in her mid-teens. Matilda and Victoria had brunette hair and chocolate eyes. Alexandra had light brown hair and eyes the color of the sky.