Chapter Eleven

The intensity of the gym battle ran through Zander's mind on replay while he sat inside the Pokémon Center's dining area. He stared at the Thermal Badge that was resting in the badge case on the table. His food had just arrived, the sweet aroma of lansat berry sauce wafting to his nostrils. 

"Ooo! you ordered one of my favorites. I mean, I usually get the mixed plate with the enigma berry curry on top with a touch of starf berry sauce. It really balances out the hint of bitterness," Nora trailed off, not at all hiding her love of food. 

Zander took the first bite, his eyes widening at the blast of flavor that hit his tongue. A perfect blend of spice and sweet with a touch of sour to bring it home sent his taste buds on a ride. If he ever had a meal this good, he wouldn't know. What he did know, was that he'd be ordering seconds. 

"By the way, great job out there. I gotta tell you, I'm impressed. The way your handled yourself out there made me wondering if you're really a beginner," Nora chuckled, taking a bite of her meal and relishing the flavor as it slid down her throat. 

"Thanks... but it was your help that enabled me to win that match. Had we not bumped into each other the other day, I'm not certain I would have been prepared," Zander said through a mouthful of curry and rice. 

"Oh come on, give yourself some credit. I could tell your mind was moving fast enough to keep up with all the commotion going on in that battle. Coming up with tactics like that on the fly isn't easy you know," Nora replied with her mouth full, swallowing before speaking again. "You kicked ass out there despite the power difference and you earned that badge." 

Zander nodded and continued eating, not bothering to argue her point as it was true. He and his team did earn it. They worked hard and even though they were on the ropes during the battle, they still pulled through. After finishing his first bowl and the second soon after, Zander and Nora walked out of the center with satisfied stomachs and renewed energy. Nora stretched her arms over her head and sighed contentedly. 

"So, I have my match next. I can't wait!" Nora said excitedly. 

"I'm sure you'll have no trouble at all, not with your skill," Zander replied with a wry grin. 

"I'll do my best, that's for sure. That Charmeleon is going to be a bit of a problem. Then again... Orion has five Pokémon at his disposal and since I saw the match, he might switch things up a bit on me," Nora said, her brows knitting in concentration as she thought about all the possible switches Orion could make to his lineup. 

As the two began walking toward the gym, the sight of someone sprinting by them, caught their attention. She had long brown hair and wore a yellow top with a light brown skirt to compliment it. A pair of beige boots adorned her feet and a dark green hat sat atop her head. With how quickly she was moving, and how much she was cursing out loud, it could be assumed that she was in a major hurry. 

"Hang on a sec... I recognize her. That's Harmony!" Nora exclaimed as she watched the woman make a beeline for the gym. "She looks panicked..." 

Zander could tell that there was more to it than that. And if the sight of Mew materializing beside him wasn't enough of a confirmation, the fact that it was pointing toward the gym was verification enough. Even Celebi had come out of its ball to alert Nora that something just wasn't right. 

"I... I think we need to go see what's going on. Something's not right," Nora said with a slight tremble to her voice. 

Zander nodded in agreement and then turned to make a run for the gym himself with Nora right behind him. Pain screamed down his arm as he closed in on the gym. Gritting his teeth and forcing down a grunt or two, he burst through the gym doors with Nora and looked around. Standing in the arena with Orion was Harmony who was speaking in a panicked tone, just as Zander and Nora had suspected.