Chapter 4

The arcade was probably the greatest thing I'd ever seen in my life! It was everything I'd imagine it would be, and more!

"Okay, lad, go play whatever it is you want to, as long as it's not something like Duck Hunt," Scrooge said, wandering off.

Duck Hunt? I thought. Whoa, people actually play that kind of game?

I wandered off towards a pinball machine when I noticed a little boy dragging his mother towards the same one.

The boy was dressed in blue, and his mom wore a bright yellow dress and pearl earrings. She looked really ticked.

"Dewford, I don't need to watch you play," she said.

"We never do anything fun ," the boy said. "We should play a game together, Frida."

"Stop calling me that!" she said.

The mom stomped away towards a coffee stand. The boy blew a raspberry behind her back.

"Stupid foster mom," he muttered.

Foster mom? I thought. What happened to his real mom?

I walked up to the pinball machine as he was playing. He was quite good.

"You play really well," I said.

"Thanks," the boy said. "It's my first time playing. I didn't think it'd be this easy."

"So...I've gotta ask you about...that lady," I said nervously.

The boy didn't speak. I thought I had crossed a sacred line.

"She's Frida," the boy finally said. "My... foster mom, in a way. She technically adopted me, but she told me that she would take care of me until I could go live somewhere better. Until my real mom can come for me."

He had such high hopes for something that might never happen.

"What about you?" the boy asked. "Where's your mom? Is that her?"

The boy pointed to a lady who had just walked in, holding the hand of another boy. He was dressed all in red, and his mom looked like a pilot of some sort.

"No, I don't know who that is," I said. "But, she looks familiar. I...actually don't know who my parents are, either. I live with my uncle Scrooge McDuck."

"McDuck?" the boy exclaimed. "As in the richest duck in the world?"

I nodded. The boy in red walked over to us.

"I couldn't help overhearing, but did you say McDuck?" he asked.

"Yeah, what about him?" the boy in blue asked.

"I think my mom mentioned something about him."