Chapter 6

I had to get as far away as I could from Frida. I didn't want her, she didn't want me. It sometimes made me wonder what turned her into such a demon. All the pictures I had ever seen of her with that other duck had her smiling and actually happy.

I hid behind the arcade, facing the sea. I buried my face in my hands, and cried. My life had been such garbage. I had absolutely nothing in this world.

"Dewford, wait up!" I heard a voice call out.

The two boys came over to me.

"I said I wanted to be called Dewey," I said, sniffling. "Dewford's a stupid name."

"So's Llewellyn," the boy in green said. "I prefer to be called Louie."

"What about you?" I asked the boy in red.

"Hubert's not such a bad name," he said. "But, I'm usually called Huey. Unless my mom's really upset and she goes 'Hubert Duck, clean your room!'"

"Huey, Dewey, and Louie," I mumbled. "The names sound so similar."

"They do sound similar," Huey said. "That's such a coincidence."

"And you said your last name's Duck? Mine is, too."

"A bunch of people share a last name. It doesn't mean anything."

Perhaps. But, it was a little too coincidental that our names sound similar and our last name was Duck. Something was wrong here.

"Louie, what's your last name?" I asked.

"Duck," he responded. "Uncle Scrooge told me that when I asked him."

"Huey Duck, Dewey Duck, Louie Duck," I mumbled, trying to put the pieces together.

"What're you doing over here?" a voice said.

We all jumped and turned to see a little girl. She wore a dirty grayish-pink bow and her clothes were torn. She looked as though she hadn't eaten in days.

"Who are you?" I asked.

"I'm Webbigail," she said. "But, some people call me Webby. So, what're you doing here?"

"Trying to find out if we're related," I blurted out.

Huey and Louie looked at me with a surprised look on their face. Even I was a little surprised at what I just said.

"I think we may be related," I continued. "Although, it might just be me wanting to stay as far away from Frida as possible."

"Who?" Webby asked.

Webby then turned sharply around; someone was coming. She picked up some scraps of paper and coins on the ground and scurried away, like a little mouse.

"Wait, where are you going?" I called out.

She didn't turn around. She had disappeared.

"What the heck?" Huey exclaimed. "She's a weird one. Anyway, Dewey, I don't think we're related at all. Duck is a common last name."

I think he could see the disappointment in my face. If Huey's mom was also my mom, I could finally be rid of Frida. It would've been a spectacular birthday present if I could find my real mom.

Wait a second...birthday...

"When were you guys born?" I blurted out.

"I turn 13 tomorrow," Huey and Louie said in unison.

They looked at each other in surprise.

"I do, too," I said.