ix.

CHAPTER NINE
[ the movie theater ]

      The next few weeks of summer were slow and quite depressing

      The next few weeks of summer were slow and quite depressing. After that day in the street, Bill distanced himself. He was afraid of causing more harm in my life. I really missed him.

Beverly and I would talk on the phone every once and a while. But, our calls started to not last as long. As for the rest of the losers, the never spoke to me. However, I was invited to Stanley's Bar Mitzvah.

I rode my bike to the Jewish church. When I got there, a lot of people where already there. I sat directly across the room from Richie who, was trying to avoid looking at me. We are the only members of the losers club there.

The ceremony started. I didn't really understand what was happening. Stanley came out and started reading from the book that was on the stand. He was struggling to read all the words.

Out of confusion over what was going on, I started to zone out. Being at Stanley's bar mitzvah made me think more about about what had happened a few weeks ago.  I was finally apart of the losers club. After a year of feeling lost without them, I was really part of something again. We let our fears get the better of us, pushing us away from each other. That's why we're not together.

We allowed our own fear to get the better of us. And that stupid clown.

"Reflecting on the meaning of what I just read," Stanley said, drawing my attention back to the ceremony. "The word "mishnah" comes up a lot, which means to change, to transform. Which makes sense I guess, because today I am supposed to become a man. It's funny though. Everyone, I think, has some memories they're prouder of than others, right? And maybe that's why change is so scary. Because the things we wish we could leave behind. The whispers we wish we could silence. The nightmares we most want to wake up from. The memories we wish we could change. The secrets we feel like we have to keep, are the hardest to walk away from. The good stuff? The pictures in our mind that fade away the fastest? Those pieces of you it feels the easiest to lose. Maybe I don't want to forget. Maybe if that's what today is all about? Forgetting, right?"

"Thank you, Stanley." His dad says, going to take the microphone away. Stanley walks away from him, continuing to speak. It was obvious this wasn't a part of the ceremony.

"Today, I'm supposed to become a man. But I don't feel any different. I know I'm a loser." Stan turned and faced his dad. "And no matter what, I always fucking will be." Then, he dropped the mic and left the room. That was the first time I'd ever seen Stanley stand up for himself.

Richie stood up and started applauding. I joined in. Richie's mom pulled him back while Stanley's dad stared cruelly the two of us. Our clapping ceased.

Richie made eye contact at me. He was fighting a smile. So was I. Maybe there was hope for the losers club to get back together after all.