His Goodbye - Chapter 1

Chloe collapsed to the floor of Lucifer's balcony. His goodbye replayed in her mind. "My first love was never Eve. It was you, Chloe, it always has been... Goodbye.." And then he was gone. Forever. The thought of him never coming back made her heart ache. An endless stream of tears continued to pour out of her swollen eyes. "COME BACK" she screamed, her voice cracking. "COME BACK... please," she cried out longing for her partner to return. "You– You bastard! You say you had to leave to– to protect me?? This isn't protecting me! This is hurting me y–you idiot!" Chloe didn't even try to stop the waterfall of tears, her pain was just too much. She let it out, all of it, the hurt the anger, everything hoping all the hurt would vanish and that she could be in his arms, be his, finally. 

Her mind flashbacked to the first time she saw his true face... "I'm so stupid. Why did I go to Rome? What the hell was my problem? I could have had longer if I hadn't been so foolishly stupid–" Chloe's thoughts were interrupted by the loud ringing of her phone. It was Dan. Chloe threw her phone onto Lucifer's bed. She wasn't going to talk to anyone, not yet.

Chloe slowly made her way to the bar of the Penthouse and poured herself a drink. After downing it she decided to take the bottle. On her way back to the bedroom, Chloe stopped, staring at the piano as memories of the song, their song flooded her brain. The rhythm of 'Heart and Soul' quickly made her smile, but just as quickly her smile faded as she remembered... it was over, he was gone. She broke down again, the glass bottle she was once holding fell, crashing to the floor into a zillion pieces in much the same way that her heart felt in that moment, broken, shattered.

***

Despite the heat, Lucifer shivered. "This isn't right" he thought, "This isn't home. My home is in LA, with her." Lucifer wanted to scream, to cry. He wanted to fly right back to her and hold her and never let go. He didn't want to leave. He loved her and although he had tried to resist and deny his feelings for years, to protect her, he couldn't anymore. But now she was gone, his happiness, his love, gone, because of him. The way he felt was unnatural to him. This love and pain and guilt, but also fear. He was afraid that Chloe would be feeling just like him. Lost. 

He didn't have a choice. He couldn't stay here. He couldn't stay away from her. He was going to have to do something about it. He screamed. He didn't care how it affected his image, he screamed. He screamed and he screamed until the Devil could no longer. He sat in his throne and waited for the pain in his heart to go away. 

When he had finally settled down, he prayed to his sister, Azrael. "Please sister, come please..." Lucifer whispered. The Angel of Death appeared next to him, flying. 

"What is it, brother?"

"Chloe, Please, I need to be with her, I need her..." Lucifer managed to say, wiping away the water left on his face.

"Why do you think I will help? Come on brother, this is who you are, I can't help you."

"You helped Ella, you were there for her even though you weren't supposed to be. You did it because you cared. I'm just hoping you'll understand why I need to be with the Detective."

"Fine, I'll stay here and look after Hell and all that, but brother, is it wise to go back?"

"I have to."

***

The morning sun woke Chloe up from her slumber. She tried to sit up but her head ached from the alcohol she chugged the night before. Somehow she had managed to make her way to his bedroom, put on one of his shirts, and crawl into his bed. When her senses came to she realised his bed was still stained with his scent. Oh, how she longed for him to be next to him, in bed with him. But he was gone. Chloe remembered the last time he left her. On her birthday. Just like now she had put on his shirt and soothed her pain with alcohol. But that time he had returned. Given her the necklace. "Well, I thought since I'll never likely penetrate you, I'd commemorate the one time you penetrated me." She had laughed, of course Lucifer would say something like that. 

Chloe fumbled for her phone seeing several missed calls from the department. "Shit!" It was eleven in the morning and Chloe had told no one she wasn't coming in. Chloe couldn't face talking to anybody let alone Dan so she flicked him a short text saying she was ill and couldn't go to work. The truth, however, was that she couldn't bear solving a case without her partner, without him, and she wasn't sure if she ever would be. 

Chloe pulled the duvet back over herself and inhaled the sweet scent of the Devil that she had grown to love. Before she knew it, tears streamed down her face as she lay, shaking. She had felt heartache before, but this was different. He was different. 

When Chloe had first come to senses with her feelings towards Lucifer he had disappeared to Vegas. He had left her then too. But at least he was still on earth, at least he came back. She needed him to come back.

"Hello, Detective."

Chloe could not believe the sight that was before her eyes. Lucifer, the Devil, wearing Prada of course, standing in front of her. She closed her eyes and pinched herself. "Am I dreaming?" But in fact the Devil, her  Devil, really was there, smirking at her, the way he always did, the way she loved. 

"Lu– Lucifer?"