Legendary Pokemon

Arceus, the alpha pokemon. Creator. Called the Original one. Based on idols of Apis, qilin/kirin, the dharmachakra/bhavacakra, the Shinto gods Kunintokotachi and Amenominakanushi, and the many armed bodhisattva Avalokiteśvara.

The Legendary Birds, also known as the mirage trio, representing the ice, fire, and electricity-Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres. Articuno is the freeze Pokémon, based upon the Simurgh, deriving from the Persian Rokh. Next is Zapdos, the electric Pokémon. Zapdos is based on varied Native American stories of the thunderbird, the great spirit of thunder,lightning and rain that took the form Last of these birds is Moltres,the flame Pokémon, and is based off of the Phoenix, the bennu bird,and Suzaku, the Vermillion bird, who rules over summer, fire,and the South, which it guards.

Mewtwo, the genetic Pokémon. This catlike pokemon is an enhanced clone of the mythical Mew, who was originally found in ruins deep in the forests of South America. Mewtwo's creation date is February 6th making it an Aquarius , and further exemplifying its feelings of alienation, which is mildly amusing due to its visual depiction being similar to a grey alien.

The Tower Duo
Ho-oh, the rainbow Pokémon, the guardian of the skies, represented by the color gold, based on the Phoenix, specifically the Fènghuáng, the immortal Phoenix, and also the Huma bird, a legendary bird who is said to never rest, and resurrects itself and others in flame. Both of these birds carry the theme of immortality and resurrection, which ties in with the theory that when Ash came in contact with Ho-oh, was granted immortality, hence him eternally being ten. Ho-oh also resurrects the three legendary beasts, Suicune, Entei, and Raikou, who perished in the flames of the Brass tower. With its classification being the Rainbow pokemon, it is reminiscent of both the Peacock god/king, but also the multicolored avian deity Achiyalabopa, of the Pueblo.

Lugia, the diving Pokémon, guardian of the seas, represented by the color silver, considered the counterpart and polar opposite of Ho-oh. Lugia is based on Ryūjin, a dragon who lives on the ocean floor, the Shinto god of the sea. Lugia is also the embodiment of storms, as referenced in the Pokédex, it has created storms rivaling the floods referenced in biblical texts. Lugias name is based upon Lutetium, Lu71, a silverish element which resists corrosion in dry air, but corrodes when moisture is present. Lutetium is derived from Lutetia, the name for Paris in the Roman era, meaning city of light.

The Legendary Beasts, consisting of Suicune,Raikou, and Entei. Often called the Legendary Dogs, they seem to have both canine and feline features. They are revered in the Johto region, and are constantly seen running. These Pokémon perished in the Brass Tower in Ecruteak city, and represent the events that lead to its destruction: the lightning that struck the tower, the flames which incinerated it, and the wind and rain which extinguished it.

Suicune, the Aurora pokemon, based on the Qilin/Kirin, and also Fujin,the Shinto god of the North Wind.

Entei, the volcano Pokémon, based on the Lions of Foo, often inaccurately called foo dogs, who guard the entrances to Buddhist temples, the Balinese lion spirit Barong, who slays the wicked Rangda, in order to maintain the balance between good and evil. Entei is also loosely based on the Aterui, chief of the Emishi; later called Aka-gashira, the red headed demon.

Raikou, the thunder pokemon, is based on the Raiju, the thunder beast which accompanies Raijin, it also shares similarities with sabertooth tigers, and cumulonimbus clouds.

The Eon duo, Latios and Latias.
Latios, the Eon Pokémon, a male only Pokémon. Latios is based on the gnostic concept of the aeon-being that certain aeons are immaterial beings of concepts existing in pairs of males and females emanated from God and one another,but also based on jet planes and draconic imagery. The name Latios is derived from the Latin 'latere' -to lie hidden, with the suffix 'os' giving it masculine form. Latias is the female version of this Pokémon.