Chapter 3

"Are you hurt?" He asked. I shook my head. We walked up the stairs to the apartment.
"I'm tired and hungry." I gripped the railing tightly. Every step felt heavier than the last. Sweat was pouring out of me. I felt disgusting.
"I'll get us dinner and we'll work this out. But I promise you, we'll get you back to normal."
Do what you want. I will not leave. I didn't have the strength to reply.
"Come on I'll carry you the rest of the way." He leaned down for me to get on his back.

He let me down when we were back inside.
"I have to shower. I'm sweaty."
"Okay. I'll leave when you get out." I nodded. He felt my forehead. You don't feel as warm as before. "That's a good thing. Take your time. Don't push yourself." I nodded. I dragged myself to the bathroom. As I got undressed it felt like I wasn't doing it by myself or really at all.
The water was hot. I sat down. I inhaled the steam.
I grew up in that lab. I was extracted from another symbiote. We reproduce asexually did you know?
"Please stop talking. I do not want to hear anymore."
I would like to tell you more.
"Why?" I yelled. "Why would I want to hear anything from you?"
Almost instantly the bathroom door opened. He must've been listening in.
"Are you okay?" Eddie asked. His voice was soft.
"Yes. I'm fine." I answered.
"Let me know if you need me to wash your back." He joked. I forced a laugh. I doubt it fooled him. He closed the door.
You two really love each other. How does that venom not feel like a third wheel?
"I don't know. He acts like a pet sometimes. A pet that talks and eats more than me."
I do not want to be a third wheel. Would I be the fourth wheel?
"You're not going to be any wheel. You're leaving tomorrow." She said nothing in response.

    I finally left the shower and made my way into the living room. Eddie turned and smiled at me. "Feel better?"
"A little bit." I sat next to him. "What are you doing?"
"Picking dinner." He set down take out menus. "What do you want to eat?" Without a word, my hand pointed to the Thai place.
"Do you want that or does she want that?" He asked.
We want it.
"I don't know."
"Venom." He called. Venom's head came out from his back.
"I want it all." He answered.
How does he do that?
"Do what?" I asked. She pointed my hand at venom.
That.
"I don't know. Ask him." I pushed my hand down.
Okay.
"We can't get all that food, Venom." I picked up the Thai menu. "You have to choose-" I turned to him. "How do you do that?" She started speaking through me.
"Hm?" Venom looked at me.
"I want to do that too."
"Then do it." He replied.
"I do not know how."
"That sounds like your problem." He slithered back into Eddie.
"You are mean."
"You attacked us twice." Venom spoke through Eddie.
"You want to hurt me!"
"We just want (y/n) to be safe. She is safe without you."
"I need her to live. We can all live happily if you do not get rid of me."
"We do not want or need you. I am done talking!"
Silence between the two of them.
"I think we have control again." I whispered. He took the Thai menu from me. "I'll get your usual for you." He whispered back. He kissed my cheek. "You be good while I'm gone." He grabbed his jacket. "Take a nap or something. Stay in control. You can do this." He waved from the door and closed it.
Be good. Are we a child?
"Be quiet."
I am hungry. We should have a snack.
"Stop talking."
Fine. But we need food. Now. I laid down on the couch. No food. No moving. "I'm taking a nap."
Let me tell you a story to put you to sleep.
"What? Why?"
Because that is something you like.
"Yes, when I was six. I'm not six anymore."
It is the only way I can give you information about me. Maybe it will change your mind about-
"Nothing is going to change my mind. You leave tomorrow."
That's what you think. I pulled Eddie's brown blanket down from the top of the couch. I closed my eyes. I felt a headache developing.
I can get rid of that. If you want me to.
"No. I don't want you to do anything. I just want you to be quiet."
Can I whisper?
"You're in my head. Whispering won't change a thing."
I'll try. She said in a much softer voice. Maybe I'll practice that thing that Venom does with Eddie.
"Why bother? Not like you're going to get to do it often."
In the lab they would put me in different bodies. No matter what I did, they died.
"So you killed people. Why am I not surprised?"
I did not want to kill them. None of them matched me. So we rejected each other. They would put me back into a containment unit and take the body out. Then they would bring in another one. This happened three times before I escaped. I did not want to kill anymore humans.
"No more. I don't want to hear anymore." I rubbed my temples.
But I have to tell you the rest. In each of their minds they all wanted the same thing... Freedom. They did not want to be homeless or poor anymore. They wanted to be free of those things and happy. That's when I felt a longing for it too.
"You still remember what they felt?"
Yes. I feel bad that I had killed them. After my escape I went into a vent. I crawled through wondering what I would do next then I felt some kind of pull. I felt the pull of one of my own.
"You felt Venom."
Yes. Then I heard your voice. I listened. I waited unsure if I wanted to bond with you. I did not want to kill you too.
"Then you fell on me in the vent."
You called for Eddie and screamed. I bonded with you and it felt different. As I became one with you I felt that we were a match. I was relieved that you would not die because of me.
"Okay."
If you let me stay I will only listen to you. You guys are all happy. I want that too. I want to be apart of this little family.
"I don't care. I just want you out of- Wait you what?"
I want to stay and be apart of you and your family.
"Why?"
Your memories are so cozy and warm. I have never felt these feelings before. The others longed for happiness but had not felt it in a long time. You make me feel happy. I want to stay.
I had no way to respond.
Is this a trick?
No trick. I mean it.
"That's not going to happen."
I want to be happy too.
"You can be happy with someone else."
If I say please, will that help?
"No."
Please. I sighed. She was starting to change my mind. I felt sympathy for her. I'm sure being a science experiment was not fun. She said she did not want to hurt anyone. Her voice gave a slight air of innocence. It was as if she were a child forced to do things she didn't want to do.
I will practice coming out.
"Quietly."
Quietly. She repeated.

••••

"(Y/n)?" I sat up. Did I fall asleep? I must have. But I don't remember dreaming. Eddie sat bags of take out on the counter. "You're eating as much as me now so I ordered extra." He smiled while rubbing the back of his neck.
Food. I was off the couch instantly. I ripped a bag open. Eddie grabbed my arm and pulled me back. "Hey!" I growled at him. He growled back.
"I'm sorry." I mumbled. He let go and handed me the bag marked with my initial. "All I wanted to do is give you your food."
"I don't have much control."
"I know." I sighed again.
"If she wanted to give you control she could."
You have control. I want food.
"Then wait until I get it. Don't make me eat!"
I am sorry. I will listen. I promise.
"Okay." He raised an eyebrow. I rolled my eyes.