Anesthesia

"Stop stressing," (Y/N) says gently while rubbing Alan's shoulder.

"I'm not stressing," he counteracts sternly while adjusting the sheets over his body.

"Yes, you are. There's nothing to be worried about," she pushes her pointer finger inside his clenched hand, pries it open and encases his hand with her own.

"How do you know I'm stressing?"

"Because... You keep clenching your hands into fists. That's your tell-tale sign, darling," she pats the top of his hand gently.

"Good morning, Mr. Rickman. This is Dr. Altman and he will be your dental surgeon today as Dr. Carter is on sick leave," the nurse says cheerily as she walks into the private room followed by a tall brunette doctor in his late thirties.

The nurse proceeds over to the one side of Alan's bed and continues the process of inserting an IV into the top of his hand.

Alan looks from the needle over at the doctor, and then to his wife standing on his other side and gives her a look.

(Y/N) knows all too well what that look means - Alan doesn't like the new doctor.

"Good morning, Mr. Rickman. I am Dr. Altman and I'll be doing your procedure today," Dr. Altman stretches his hand out in greeting and Alan politely returns the handshake with a forced tight-lipped smile.

"And this must be your daughter, correct? Although, I was told your wife would be here with you today?" He stretches his hand out to (Y/N).

The nurse turns around half shocked and gives (Y/N) an apologetic smile.

"I am the wife - Professor (Y/N) Rickman," she replies confidently, yet slightly offended, before shaking his hand.

"Oh - Uh, my apologies, Mrs. Rickman. I should not have assumed," the doctor stammers and a red blush creeps up his neck from under the collar of his white lab coat.

"No harm, no foul," (Y/N) replies dryly while having to bite her tongue.

She knows that if Alan doesn't like someone, by default she won't like them either. He's never before been wrong about his opinion about people.

"Sally, what are you putting in my IV?" Alan demands nervously as he eyes yet another needle making its way closer to him.

"It's just a relaxer, Mr. Rickman. We know how anxious you can get before your surgeries," she says with a smile.

"Good," he returns the smile and squeezes his wife's hand.

"You're still scheduled to go into the operating theater in the next thirty minutes, so I'll take this time to explain the procedure to you," the doctor starts.

(Y/N) can already feel Alan's anxiety increasing by the iron hold he has on her hand. She runs her finger smoothly along the top of his knuckles to try and calm him.

"I'm going to start by making an incision in the gum tissue to expose your teeth and bone. I will remove any bone that blocks access to the roots and then I will divide the selected teeth into sections if it turns out to be easier to remove in pieces..."