Chapter 5

======================================

She watched as Tofunmi trotted towards her, with eyes never leaving the other. Out of fear, Awelewa closed hers and inwardly crossed her fingers in response to what would happen next.

God please save me.

Heavily breathing, she waited for a few seconds in that position with an increase in her heart beats and expected the worse

Nothing happened.

As she didn't feel anything, she opened her eyes out of shock. She realized that Tofunmi was in the other side of the room, talking to her friends.

Wait, she didn't touch me?

No she didn't. Tofunmi only passed her side but didn't have any bad intentions. This even ignited fear in Oluwadamilare's heart for she believed that worse were going to come from her. After all, her boyfriend was in huge trouble because of her.

Riiiinnggg! Rinngggg! Rinngggg!

The school bell sounded as it was time for the next lesson period. The noise it would make every thirty minutes reminded Awelewa of the annoying one she'd hear at home.

She glanced at Abasi and found out that he was still busy. The short, slim and chocolate coloured girl he was giggling with was clearly nervous as she kept playing with the frame of her glasses everytime Abasi made a joke. The guy's enjoyment of the conversation was quite evident as he smiled at every interval. Now, Awelewa wondered what they could possibly be talking about.
It was a little absurd that Abasi would have a non-flirty and genuine conversation with a classmate (apart from her)

Unless...

She continued staring but this time, she was more focused on the girl. She squinted but couldn't recognize her.

Ahhh. New student, I grab.

Forming a wholehearted grin, she waved at him and awaited an answer or a gesture to indicate that he saw this. When he did, he waved back with a smile on his face. His mutter to the girl accompanied with a point towards Awelewa brought a sense of realization of the chubby girls presence. They hurriedly left their position to another one.

"Ehen! So Abasi when were you planning on introducing me to your new friend?" Awelewa held her hands akimbo while feigning annoyance as her friend got to her.

"Calm down na." Abasi chuckled and raised his hands. He motioned the unknown girl to move forward. "Umm Ewa this is Nifemi Samuels but you can call her Nini or Nife."

Awelewa inwardly frowned.

Nini or Nife? That's weird... New friend, new nickname I guess.

She felt this pang of jealousy as he mentioned a nickname. After all, she was the only one he knew that he gave that privilege of having one.

She gave a fake smile as Nifemi waved and showed off her braces. Even with the metallic material holding her teeth, she still looked exceptionally beautiful.

"Nifemi, this is me bestie, Awelewa Oluwadamilare but I call her Ewa. It's not my fault her name's length can build mountains." Abasi grinned widely and put an arm around Awelewa's neck. His laugh attracted Nifemi's as they did so simultaneously.

Awelewa watched with keen interest. This new giggling Abasi's presence was very shocking.

"I'm very pleased to meet you Awelewa." Nifemi smiled as she made her British accent evident. She had a little problem in pronouncing the name though.

"The accent. You're not from here." Awelewa said.

"Well, yes. You see, I've lived in London my entire life and I don't really know much about my cultural heritage. My dad decided that it's time I left there to stay here for a year so I can learn about my culture. My cousin, Laura, schools here. Do you know her?" At her question, she looked expectantly at Awelewa and Abasi as they exchanged puzzled looks.

But they seem so different. Kaiii!

"Ehnn yes." Abasi nervously replied. He looked at his best friend as she frowned and pouted. Something was obviously on her mind.

"You guys, let's go for class abeg." Abasi said as he removed his arms from Awelewa's neck. He strutted forward as the other girls followed.

For some odd reason, going for class late wasn't something that scared or disturbed either Abasi or Awelewa, and this habit made Nifemi wonder. She brought out the class time table from her backpack and looked at it thoughtfully.

English Language- 9:30am--10:30am

"Ummm guys, aren't you bothered about the time?" Nifemi asked in a confused state.

"Oh Nifemi, we're seniors now so coming to class early isn't really a necessity." Abasi answered nonchalantly as they journeyed to the classroom.

"Shut up johrrr!" Awelewa exclaimed while poking Abasi on his back which resulted to an exuberant laugh from him. She turned to the already chuckling Nifemi and continued. "Please don't answer him, He's not a serious person. Actually the teachers usually show up for class late so it prompts the students to do the same. Unless a test is to be given, the teachers always come late as per senior class." She ended her statement by forming air quotes to lay emphasis on "senior class".

"Oh. Okay then."

They finally got to the popular and restricted year twelve classroom. As predicted, no teacher was present thus it became a platform for endless sexting, unnecessary gossip, pranks and the usual noise making.

"The point of no return", was the name given by the junior students to this room as anyone caught there would be severely punished and wouldn't return the same way she or he came. On so many occasions, prying and noisy students would pick interest in the activities of their seniors and learn and practice new but disturbing methods of expressing themselves. The innocent among them would cast their complaints to the authorities and regret their actions later.

Very typical of all secondary schools.

Awelewa's daily wish was to be in the shoes of these juniors. After all, she wouldn't have to bear the sight of her classmates playing in very odd manners as she was now.

The popular truth or dare game, lifestyle rather, was one that questioned ones innocence, integrity and spirituality. For a few, it usually ended in regrets, tears and breakups. For others, it was a method used to play with certain forbidden fruits which they honestly enjoyed doing.

She, Abasi and Nifemi watched a few of their classmates as they formed a circle while sitting on the floor. They readjusted the positions of tables and chairs to make way. It seemed a little obvious that they weren't the ones in charge of the washing as they looked comfortable sitting on the dusty tiles.

"Are these guys serious?" Abasi rolled his eyes.

"Apparently, they are." Awelewa frowned as one of them began to spin an old Sprite bottle.

"Abeg let's find where we'll si-" Abasi mentioned until he was cut off.

"Ahnn, Nife you're here!" Laura exclaimed excitingly and rushed to give the girl a tight hug, not noticing the look on Abasi's face after she roughly brushed him. She was amongst those who were gossiping.

"Cousin it's so good to see you!" Nifemi shrieked back while giving an equally tight hug.

"The feeling is mutual oo! How was your flight?" Laura beamed and asked finally after pulling away. That was by far the brightest and most genuine smile Awelewa had ever seen on her face.

"It was wonderful! The services at the airport weren't as bad as you lamented that they were." Nifemi pouted.

"Ehen? Is that so?"

"Yes. Erhhh Laura these are my new friends I met today. They are-"

"So you're hanging out with Winnie the Pooh and long legs?"

======================================