Chapter 12

===============================================

Awelewa blinked.

"Abasi stop joking abeg!" Awelewa chuckled uncomfortably.

"Joking? Ewa what is going on? Start talking!"

"Weren't... weren't you the one?" She stuttered 

"The one that did what? Ewa speak!" Abasi abruptly yelled. He clamped his popping with anger eyes shut and took a breath.  When he opened it slowly, he saw Abasi whimpering on her bed as her head bobbled  anxiously.

"Awelewa please tell me what is going on." He softly spoke, with the hopes that it would calm her tingling nerves down and sat on her bed.

Awelewa fought tears as she started her story.

***

Apparently she couldn't win.

Throughout the whole thing, Abasi remained silent. Apart from the consistent emotional exchanges plastered on his face, nothing gave out the fact that he was confused, shocked and scared. Especially when he had no idea who helped Awelewa.

Damn, he thought.

I should have checked if she got home safely, he pondered.

Immediately after his meeting with the principal, he was let go with a warning and some school chores. Chores that Chidi was too lazy to handle. He decided to let him go because he promised he would leave Awelewa alone if he did all the work. After a hilarious negotiation, Abasi agreed. He was so tired that he wanted to get home immediately.

Wanting to give Awelewa some assurance that she wouldn't be bullied that much anymore, he got excited to go to school. He only met Nifemi(who asked continuously after Awe) and his other classmates. No Awelewa.

Now seeing her in her distress, all he could do was to take her into his arms and encompass her with his warm embrace. He had to do that gently because of her injury.

"I'm so sorry Ewa." He sniffled as he kept saying the same phrase. She would nod and her whimpers would proliferate to very heavy tears. At this point he couldn't ask her any questions even though he wanted to.

Seconds birthed minutes and minutes did the same to hours as darkness arose from its shelter. Still, the two friends remained in the same position; only making certain adjustments just to make the other feel comfortable. The only difference between then and now was the fact that their eyelids and lashes had lingered downwards their sobs came to a minimal level and their backs were on the bed; side by side.

Suddenly, Awelewa's eyes popped open and she rubbed them with her hands slowly. She looked sideways and saw Abasi snoring softly. 

Awelewa smiled.

She remembered what happened minutes ago and wondered what she could have done without him. It always felt so nice to have that one person to talk to; someone who would never leave your side no matter what.

Her feelings of happiness and relief were cut short by flashbacks of what happened the other night.

She sighed

It is what it is.

After forcing a smile on her face, she playfully brushed her palm on Abasi's face. She watched him reluctantly open and roll his eyes.

"You have issues Awe." He stated while sitting up and rubbing his eyes. "Someone cannot sleep in peace again after a long day in that stupid school." He hissed.