[Prologue 2] The Hero's Destiny

Thick fog shrouded the forest, and trees loomed above the young boy as he slowly made his way through the forest with a torch in hand. Stopping every once in a while to check the direction in which the fire embers blew, he was careful to not let the thick fog engulf him completely. No, he wasn't that foolish. He knew where he was- the Lost Woods.

All he could do was continue on. Turning back was definitely not an option anymore. Yet he wasn't a typical traveller who would be lost by then. He was trained- he knew what to do. But to what end? Will I be following the embers for the rest of enternity?

"Don't be foolish Link." He quietly scolded himself, though the mere thought of being lost here forever sent a chill down his spine. There's nothing to worry about... just focus on getting out and you'll be fine. He noticed the fog starting to surround him and stopped immediately. Focus, Link. Focus.

He bit his lip in frustration. He should not have come here. Taking a few steps forward, he noticed the fog gradually began to clear. He squinted, trying to see through the thinning fog. Running forward into a clearing, he was surprised to see many leaf-like creatures rushing to hide. "Are you a... Korok?" He asked one that was hurrying into the bushes.

Straight ahead, sunlight pierced through the leaves of the trees overhead and cast a warm ray of brilliant light on the sword of legend, the Master Sword itself. His eyes widened in awe. Woah...

He knew the legends- about the hero who wielded the sword that seals the darkness and the princess with the blood of the goddess. He stepped up the pedestal and stood before the blade, with his hands on the sword. It was... calling to him somehow. He could feel the little eyes of the Koroks looking at him, waiting expectantly for something to happen.

He squeezed his eyes shut and pulled hard. His eyes flew open in shock when he felt the sword slide out of the stone. Koroks now surrounded the pedestal. "Mr hero... Mr hero..." they whispered amongst themselves.

What!?! This can't be. No no no no this can't be. It was a mistake to try. I'm no hero! I'm just thirteen years old! His eyes clouded with confusion. No... this sword was not meant for me. No way it is. He tried in vain to return the sword back into its pedestal but it refused to. He sighed in frustration. I can't be the hero. He heard a chuckle from above him and looked up in surprise.

"Now, what are you doing?" A fatherly voice asked him.

"I was trying to... um... put the sword back?" Suddenly realisation hit him. "You're...you're the Great Deku Tree." Link said in amazement.

The Great Deku Tree chuckled again. "Yes, and you are the hero. The Master Sword chose you, did it not? I am sure that you know that the Calamity is coming. You must be ready for it, hero."