[Chapter 2] Lady-in-waiting

Castle town ceaselessly bustled with activities, with hylians and other races alike roaming around and purchasing goods. The soothing sound of running water that came from the large stone fountain in the centre could be heard amid the hustle and bustle.

Zelda pulled her Hylian hood closer to her face and quickly walked through the Castle Town gate. She had left her horse some distance away from the town. Considering the Great Deku Tree's warnings, it probably wasn't the best time to attempt taking the horse to the castle stables.

After having travelled that far, Zelda was ravenous. She'd gotten a few rupees from selling some mushrooms she had picked up to travellers at the stables and decided to spend them. I won't need them later anyway. She walked into a tavern and was ushered to an empty seat. She decided on a simple omelet.

"...it's been more than ten years since that fortune teller foretold it. No doubt the calamity will come soon."

Zelda's ear pricked up at the mention of the calamity. She looked around for the person talking. She saw two women chatting at a nearby table- no doubt customers as well. She quickly turned back before they noticed her.

"Oh I'm sure it will. Did you hear? Within Hyrule Castle and around Hyrule, there are buildings that house those mechanical... things. I've heard hundreds of them have been excavated and the four large ones that were discovered years ago..." The other woman replied. They must be talking about the guardians and the divine beasts. She dropped her voice to a whisper before continuing. Zelda strained to hear it. "However... I've heard news that all the ancient machines stopped working and have been dormant for the past three years and no one knows why..."

What?! How could that happen? Zelda's eyes clouded with confusion. The Sheikah slate... could it be because of it's absence? After all, it was the key to activating most of the Sheikah technology...

She heard the other woman scoff. "I'd say we're doomed. They likely dug them up to make up for the princesses inability to use her power. Even the queen was able to harness hers at a younger age! And it just so happens that she won't be able to harness her power when everything comes down to it. She really is the heir to a throne of nothing. I don't usually listen to those gossip mongers... but I'd say they're right." Zelda grimaced. Was that what the people thought of her? She had been training almost all her life after her mother died, but she was never able to harness her powers. And with all that wasted time...
Screw the omelette.
———————————————————————————

Weaving her way through the crowd, Zelda quickly made her way to the castle. She didn't know what to think. Could she make up for all that lost time? She came to a stop near the castle gates. How will I get in without revealing my identity? She sighed in frustration. I can't just... ignore the Great Deku Tree's advice! She walked aimlessly near the castle gates, hoping to find a solution. She had absolutely no idea what the Great Deku Tree meant, but she wasn't about to take any chances. Her mind swirled with possibilities of what could be going on behind the castle walls.

She was jolted out of her thoughts when a girl, not much older than her, ran into her. "Oh! I'm so sorry." Zelda apologised. Looking up, she saw that the girl was on the brink of tears. "What's wrong?" She gently asked her.

"I-I'm supposed to go to the castle and be the princess's new lady-in-waiting, but...but I can't do it!" The girl burst into tears. "I- I've heard that the princess is horrible to her servants, especially her lady-in-waiting! And no one knows what happened to the last one, and I don't want to go! But my family really needs the money and it's the only position no one wants to take..."

Zelda frowned. She had never mistreated anyone. Have they been covering up my disappearance? But why would they spread such rumours...

Wiping the girl's tears away, Zelda told her, "It will be fine. Here." She handed her all the rupees she had. I'm glad I didn't spend them on that omelette. Just then, an idea struck her. "I could go in your place, if you would like..." Zelda said carefully.

"Thank you... and I wish you could, but my family really needs the money..." The girl trailed off. "I will send your family the money, no need to worry." Zelda assured her. The girl's hazelnut eyes widened in shock. "But... but doesn't your family need the money too?" Zelda thought of her father and laughed. She shook her head.

"Really? Thank you so much! You have no idea how much this means to me..." the girl smiled."Oh! I'm Caitlin. What's your name?" Oh no. Think fast. "I'm Ida." Zelda said quickly, dragging up a random name from the depths of her mind. That would have to do, for now.

It didn't feel safe to reveal her real name yet, considering she wanted to get into the castle without anyone knowing who she actually was. A part of her was actually looking forward to the thrill of getting into the castle incognito. Hopefully the Great Deku Tree didn't mean stay far away for the castle. She quietly chuckled to herself.

Caitlin jumped forward and enveloped Zelda in a hug. "Thank you! I will always remember you. Someday... someday I'll find a way to repay you! I promise!" Zelda smiled in response.

They began to part ways, but Caitlin stopped in her tracks. "Ida, if you don't mind me asking, why do you want to go to the castle?" Think, Zelda, think. A simple sob story is all she needs to hear. "... my only surviving relative works in the castle, and I need to find her." She faked a sad smile. "I couldn't find a job in the castle, but we happened to cross paths. Thank you, Caitlin." She felt terrible for lying to her, but she believed it had to be done.

Surprise surprise, my brain still functions! Sorry for not writing for reallyyyyy long ;-; Also if there are any conceptual differences between what happens in the next chapter and real life, I did not think it through and as and extra excuse, its...

Surprise surprise, my brain still functions! Sorry for not writing for reallyyyyy long ;-; Also if there are any conceptual differences between what happens in the next chapter and real life, I did not think it through and as and extra excuse, its for plot ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)