[Chapter 3] Hyrule Castle

Zelda paced around for some time, trying to figure out a way to disguise herself as Caitlin. She had realised that she looked nothing like the brown haired girl, which would be a problem. She bit her lip in frustration. It's just problem after problem... I can't just wear a hood everywhere! I can't do anything about my eyes, but I could dye my hair... but with what? Her eyes widened in realisation. She grabbed the coffee berries the Koroks had given her. They probably thought I would eat it but... oh well. I guess this works.

She had no idea how long it would last, but her lady-in-waiting outfit would sufficiently cover her hair. Don't be nervous. She took a deep breath, and stepped up to the castle gates and was stopped by some guards, just as she anticipated. "My name is Caitlin, and I'm to become the princess's lady-in-waiting." She said, trying to make herself as convincing as possible. The guards studied her carefully and nodded. She could only hope that no one in the castle knew Caitlin, or her cover would be blown really quickly.

A maid silently ushered her in and led her up the stairs to where she knew as her room.

"H-hello!" Zelda tried to appear friendly towards the maid. Besides, she needed information. "I wouldn't be so cheerful if I were you..." she looked at Zelda with pity in her eyes. "The first few weeks, or a month if you're lucky, should be fine. After that it's gonna start going downhill." She stopped in front of Zelda's old room. "I wish you the best of luck." She then silently left Zelda in front of the door.

I'm back... I'm really back. Everything felt so familiar. She'd never really realised how much she missed home. She was jolted out of her thoughts by someone tapping lightly on her shoulder.

"If you're looking for the princess, she's not here." Zelda spun around and came face to face with someone she recognised almost immediately. Link. She almost blurted his name out but stopped herself. She had more self control than that. Still, she was surprised. Well that kinda makes sense. Link would be with the princ- me... wait. Her eyes widened.

There was no doubt. Someone was replacing her. Did they really think they could just put someone in my place? Then again, it was actually pretty much foolproof. She actually pitied whoever it was. So they just planned on keeping it a secret until the calamity came upon us? What even was their plan? Zelda felt furious, betrayed, and utterly disappointed at the same time.

She then noticed Link studying her carefully, probably concerned about the whirlwind of emotion that had just played across her face. She quickly wiped off any trace of how she really felt and plastered on a smile.

"Hello, I'm Caitlin, the princess's new lady-in-waiting. What's your name?"

He raised an eyebrow but said nothing. "Link."

Yes Link, I knew that.
Hm. Maybe the girl they replaced me with looks really similar... either that or they paid Link to keep quiet. Just like the rest of the castle staff.

"So Link, what about the princess should I be concerned about? All the staff I've met have been hinting at a possible future where I run away and never come back." Zelda said half-jokingly.

"Knowing her, that's very possible." Link responded.

Oh. Serious much? Then again, I don't know what I expected.

"Well, if she's not here..." Zelda sighed and began walking away. Perhaps just walking away was a little rude but she couldn't be bothered to be polite right now.

"Since you're new, the servant's quarters should be two floors down. You'll find your attire there." Link called out.

Well I didn't expect to get that information from him. That probably means he's had to say it a lot. Zelda winced, wondering how many times exactly. Really couldn't find someone better behaved?

But unlike the rest of them, I'm here to stay.

Oh hey it's been long :DBut anyway here's the outfit in case y'all were wondering how it looks (it covers her hair and coffee is a temporary dye, how plot convenient)

But anyway here's the outfit in case y'all were wondering how it looks (it covers her hair and coffee is a temporary dye, how plot convenient)

Oh hey it's been long :DBut anyway here's the outfit in case y'all were wondering how it looks (it covers her hair and coffee is a temporary dye, how plot convenient)

And don't forget, everything conceptually wrong is for ✨plot✨
Have a nice day! <3