[Chapter 1] Return

3 years later

The figure walked briskly through the fog-filled forest along an untouched, invisible path. Mist swirled around her ankles, however it never threatened to swallow her. The Hylian hood she wore concealed a Sheikah Slate- something that hadn't been seen in the kingdom of Hyrule in many years.

She stepped into the clearing and put away the torch. She had reached her destination. Koroks curiously peeked their heads out from the bushes and trees.

"Great Deku Tree?" She asked, her voice filling the clearing.

"Hm? That voice... I haven't seen you in a long time Princess Zelda. Then again, I haven't seen many people in a long time." The Great Deku Tree chuckled. "How have you been?"

"I have been... lost, for a very long time. I have only just returned, and my first thought was to seek advice from you."

"Well, I am here if you need advice, and always will be." The Great Deku Tree chuckled. "What is on your mind, Princess?"

"I... I fear the kingdom may not accept me. I abandoned them for three years, what if they reject me? But I do know that I will have to return to Hyrule castle someday... I still have my destiny to fulfill."

Even though she did not mean to leave, she did. She had left the kingdom in uncertainty of her return, and without the princess who was supposed to seal Ganon away.

The Great Deku tree looked lost in thought. "It was not by choice, am I correct? I can see it in your eyes. If so, then there is nothing to worry about." He chuckled before his face turned serious. "However, I must warn you, there is danger in the castle. I may not be able to see it, but I can sense it. Remember to be careful, Princess."

Zelda's forehead creased in confusion. There was no way the Calamity had arrived so soon- Hyrule seemed peaceful. What could that possibly mean?

———————————————————————————

Her horse trotted slowly along the path. Darkness blanketed the land, the stars like scattered moondust in the sky. She knew that she should hurry to the castle, however she was apprehensive. What could have happened in my absence? Her forehead creased in worry. It's no use overthinking it now... I'll deal with it when I get to the castle. She smiled as she remembered a Korok's parting gift for her- a branch of berries. Alone with nothing but the rhythmic hoofbeat of her horse and the calming sound of the river nearby, she let her thoughts wander...

"What is it?" I peered over Purah's shoulder. I could barely contain my excitement! "It seems to be a piece of the ancient technology! Looks like a device of some sort. I know! I'll name it the Sheikah Slate!" She exclaimed. It's name was quite... literal, but I see could the sense behind it.

"This might be just what we need to access the Divine Beasts and the shrines!" Purah looked giddy with excitement. We immediately headed to the closest Divine Beast, Vah Naboris.

———————————————————————————
Purah and I leaned over the guidance stone in the Divine Beast. She pressed it against the terminal and it suddenly glowed a sapphire blue. "It worked..." Purah breathed. We could see the Divine Beast's gears start to turn, the same blue glow illuminating the interior. It was coming back to life after ten thousand years...

"I'll bring this to the other Divine Beasts around Hyrule. I will entrust the research of this Sheikah slate to you on your birthday, if the king allows it. I will see you then!" Purah told me. I hurried back to the castle, grinning with delight.

Her fascination with the ancient relics had not changed at all over the years. Despite it being potentially dangerous, she knew the Sheikah Slate played an important role in Hyrule's future. Somehow...

Zelda missed the castle- her home. Although... she had been alone those three years, but was it any different? In the castle she was constantly told to focus on her training and she never had time for friends. Although, she made one friend before she disappeared...

"Hello... you must be Link." He seemed surprised and quickly bowed down. "Your highness." He said. I frowned. I didn't like it when people addressed me with formalities. Especially someone I was to work with in the future. He seemed nervous. I don't know why. He was my age, perhaps we could be friends! I'm sure Father would approve, with him being the chosen hero after all. He could be my first real friend... besides, I had no one to talk to here at my birthday ball.

"Please, call me Zelda." His eyes widened in surprise. "Thank you, your high- Zelda." It was the first time someone my age called me something other than Your Highness or something like that... how exciting! "Will you be my friend?" I asked cautiously. He seemed stunned for a moment before nodding his head. I smiled. We stood awkwardly in silence for a few minutes before I asked, "So... what do you like?"

"I like... food." He replied with a small smile. I giggled. "Well I like researching the ancient Sheikah technology! It's very fascinating!" I continued on for some time about the ancient relics and eventually came to the topic of the Sheikah slate.
"... if only I could study it more! I don't know if Father will allow me to though... he likely has it with him." I said wistfully. Link was very polite, however I hoped that that was not all there was to him. Well, I would have many years to get to know him. "Maybe you could... ask him?" Link said timidly. Hmm, not a bad idea. I nodded my head and bounded off to Father.

Father saw me coming towards him and turned towards me. "Zelda... I assume you want this?" He held out the Sheikah Slate. I nodded eagerly. "Here, you can have it. It's yours to research from now on. Happy birthday, my daughter."

I skipped back to Link, but in the corner of my eye I saw my father smile. How rare... he barely smiled since Mother died.

"Look Link! It's the Sheikah Slate!" There just was so much it could possibly do, I just needed some time to study it and-

Zelda was jolted out her memories when her horse suddenly sped up. She looked behind her and saw a bokoblin turning back after chasing them.

Link...  I wonder if I will see him again...

OHOHO  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Soooo a lot of indecisiveness I finally decided to post this chapter! Woohooooo! Sorry for packing 2 flashbacks in here I just wanted to get some backstory in and I also realised the Great Deku Tree chuckles a lot lol(I swear so...

OHOHO  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Soooo a lot of indecisiveness I finally decided to post this chapter! Woohooooo! Sorry for packing 2 flashbacks in here I just wanted to get some backstory in and I also realised the Great Deku Tree chuckles a lot lol
(I swear some stuff serves a purpose *cough cough*)