Chapter 1 [ Deceit ]

Art by cindaf on DA

Third Person POV

School was about to start and students were flowing toward the entrance. The majority of them were looking down, reluctantly advancing to get into what some called "jail". But there was one person that couldn't wait to get into the school. Damian Wright was making his way through the crowd, pushing around people that were standing in his way. He hadn't time for these nobodies, he had more important matter to attend to. Every day he would wake up, go to this stupid school, only to get a glance of his smile. As soon as he entered the school, he started looking for him.

All eyes were on him, as usual, but Damian didn't care anymore. When he has something on his mind, nothing else matter. He passed in front of a big mirror in the hall. He stopped as he noticed that a strand of hair had fallen on his face. Well, maybe something else mattered. He needed to be at his best, as usual. He removed his fedora and restyled his hair. As he put back his hat on his head, he took a moment to examine himself. His birthmark was still covering half of his face. It was really apparent because of his pale skin. But nobody really cared about it. His eyes, on the other hand... He had Heterochromia iridis, inherit from his mother. What a great gift... One was brown, which is fine, but the other was a nightmare. It was grey, with a light pigmentation of yellow, but it's only really visible in the sunlight. It looked surreal. People kept asking if he was wearing a contact lens. Why would I only wear one contact lens?! That would be dumb!, he thought. Yet, that's what he started to do for a while. Tired of hearing comments, he started to wear a brown contact lens. But the other kids thought he was trying to be deceitful. They called him a monster in disguise. At first, it was only insults. But it quickly escalated to violence. Those kids, with their filthy hands, tried to remove his contact lens. One day, they hit him so hard that it fell. He was on the floor, crying, the broken contact lens in front of him. The kids were cheering that they had revealed the monster, that now, everybody would know to not approach him. And then, one of the kids wondered if he was hiding something else. He convinced two other kids to grab him, as Damian was crying torrents, pleading them to stop. But they didn't want to listen to him. They started to undress him.

Then, they heard a voice. Damian raised his head toward the source of the sound. There was another kid, accompanied by an adult. The kids released him and he fell on the floor, hitting himself in the process. The adult took care of the bullies, but the real savior in Damian's eyes was the kid. He came to his rescue and offered him a hand. When all the other kids in his class had decided to not act, to let him be bullied and just watch, he decided to do something. He knew it was wrong and went to get an adult as fast as he could. Damian, still shaken, shyly took the boy's hand and got up with his help. Damian almost fell again on the floor, but the boy caught him before. 

- Hey, easy there! Put your arm on my shoulders, we need to get you to the nursery, that's what the teacher said.

Damian acted accordingly. He felt warm close to the boy, he felt safe. And as they went to the nursery, they spoke, learning to know each other. He now knew his savior's name, Roman Prince, and he would never forget what he told him that day.

- You know... I think your eyes are neat! It really suits you!

And after that day, Damian never tried to hide himself. On the contrary, he learned to love himself, to love his difference, to love all these traits that made him unique. He managed to see himself under another light, thanks to his Prince. 

Back in the present, Damian shook his head. It was not the moment to think about the past, now he had to look toward the future. He stopped looking at himself in the mirror and continued his path. He headed where his Prince usually hangs out with his friends. And as he turned the corner, he saw him. He was there, with his two friends, Patton Sanders and Logan Berry. Damian tried to stay hidden behind the corner, not wanting to be seen. That was the thing. After all these years, he never found the courage to talk to Roman about his feelings. And being friends wasn't an option, he wanted his prince as his lover and nothing less. So all these years, he stayed in his shadow, trying to absorb as much of his light as he could. 

In other words, he stalked him. All the time. He followed him around school, followed his after school to his house, and he was currently in the process of learning his morning routine to follow him in the morning. He wished he could walk with him...

But for now, it was okay, it was enough for Damian. He could admire his beauty from afar. Besides, he believed that information is a powerful tool, and the more he knows about his prey, the easier it will be for him to win his heart. 

As he was contemplating Roman's beauty, Damian felt a hand on his shoulder. He jumped and turned to face a familiar face. For a second, his brain thought it was his prince, but then he realized it was his stupid brother. Remus Prince looked at him with a big smile, showing his unbrushed teeth. He looked very much like his twin brother, but he had a mustache and dye in his hair to make some of it white. He thought it gave him a style, Damian thought it made him more look like a weirdo.

- Deeeeee ! Dear ! There you ar--

Damian put his gloved hands in front of the other man's mouth. He looked behind him for a second, where his prince was. When he made sure he hadn't noticed them, he dragged the man in the closest men's bathroom. It was empty. Perfect. Damian released the man and gave him a slap behind the head.

- The hell Remus?! You want your brother to see me with you or what?!

Remus put his hand where Damian had hit him. It didn't hurt, but the gesture took him by surprise.

- Who caaaaares if he sees us?

Damian was furious. He pointed Remus with his finger and approached him, making the other man take a step back.

- I want this to get through your head once and for all, dork. Your brother must NEVER see us together. He hates you, remember? And I will NEVER be hated by him, especially not because of a dummy like you.

Remus rolled his eyes and sighed.

- Yeah yeah yeah, whatever man.

Damian was harsh on the guy, but he had to admit that he was pretty useful. As Roman twin brother, he was a precious source of information, and Damian couldn't afford to lose him. The bell rang at this moment. It was now Damian's turn to sigh. He opened the bathroom door to see if Roman was anywhere near. When he confirmed that the path was clear, he turned back to Remus and told him to come with him. They had a class together, thankfully not with Roman, so they walked there together, Remus was talking about everything and anything. Damian knew he was Remus only friend, but it was not the other way around. Damian considered he had no friends, and he was okay with that. All he needed was his Prince, and he promised himself he would make him his Prince, no matter what.

1339 words