Chapter 2 [ Virgil ]

Art by  sweetest-honeybee on Tumblr

Third Person POV

As usual, Virgil woke up before his alarm clock. But today is a special day. He wakes up to a mixed feeling of anxiety and excitement. Virgil got up quickly from his bed and headed immediately to the bathroom. 

It's been 1 month since his encounter with Roman. And he hasn't stopped thinking about him since then. He had spent these last weeks spying on Roman and his friends. He wanted to gather all the information he could to be able to make a plan and foresee any outcomes. He found out that Roman was living with his family in a pretty expensive house. He found out that Roman had a twin, who only had a face in common with his brother. He has a horrible hygiene, he doesn't care about his appearance, he has a ridiculous mustache... All the complete opposite of the dreamy Roman. Virgil also found out that Roman is a big fan of musical comedies and Disney movies. Virgil had to do big researches on the last subject, since he didn't know anything about these movies. He now listens to Disney movies everyday and will listen to some every evening until he knows them all. He also found out that Roman is part of the theater club at their school. He usually is the lead role of their plays, which isn't surprising, who wouldn't want a good-looking guy on a poster?! Virgil also confirmed Roman's sexuality. He is gay, but it wouldn't have mattered if he wasn't. Virgil would make him his, no matter what. It's only easier this way, he thought.

After taking more care about his appearance than usual, Virgil exited the bathroom. He looked at the clock and exited his room. Before exiting, he took care to pick up dog food and a leash. Today, he had an objective in mind : Befriending Roman's friends. It was a good way to get close to Roman without being too sudden. It wasn't an easy task for Virgil, his social anxiety was on the rise, but for Roman, he could endure it. 

To start his plan, he needed a dog. Virgil doesn't own a dog, but he had an alternative. There is that errant dog that hangs out near his neighborhood. During the last month, Virgil took care to tame it by giving it food everyday. He found the dog at his usual spot. It was a Beagle. As he saw Virgil, he wiggled his tail with excitement and approached the man. Virgil gave him the food and watched him eat.

Why did he need a dog? Because of Patton. Patton was his key to get closer to Roman. The entirety of Virgil's plan was created around him. He seems to be the most accessible of Roman's friends. Logan seemed cold and emotionless, it was hard for Virgil to determine if he would be receptive to his actions. 

Patton loves dogs. That was the first thing Virgil learned about him. Virgil then learned his morning habits. Virgil took out the leash from his hoodie and slowly approached the dog. The dog is cagey, but Virgil managed to put on the leash. He then started to walk with it to Patton's neighborhood. Every morning, Patton and Logan walk to school together. They always go to school earlier, probably because of Logan wanting to study before it starts. Arriving at his destination, Virgil looks at his watch. They are always very precise in their morning habits. Virgil knows precisely when he'll see them. And there they are, on time, speaking while walking. 

Virgil's anxiety is at its peak, almost suffocating him, but he can't back out now, it's now or never. He proceeds to walk with the dog. He wanted to be noticed without obviously walking directly toward them. And it worked. Patton sees the dog. He started to jump on place and pulled Logan's shirt, pointing toward the dog. Virgil takes a deep breath as he sees Patton and Logan approaching. He managed to force a smile on his face. 

- Hey! What a cute dog you have!! I can't help myself but to ask you if I can pet it???

Patton was overly excited, it was hard for Virgil to keep his cool.

- Yeah, sure, go ahead. He's a good boy, just a little scared...

The dog was indeed scared when Patton approach his hand to pet him. Fortunately, he was gentle and the dog didn't bite him. 

- He so cute!! What's the name of this good boy?

Virgil had to think fast. He said the first thing that came to his mind.

- His name is Prince.

- Oh! What a cute name for a dog!

Meanwhile, Logan stayed back, examining Virgil and the dog. He seemed suspicious and ready to strike if Virgil, or the dog, did anything to Patton. He only said one line.

- Your dog seems a little... dirty.

Virgil froze for a second. It was true, he didn't think about it. That was an errant dog, he was covered in dirt, that was a little weird for a domestic dog, as if he didn't properly take care of his dog. Virgil improvised.

- Yeahh... He has the tendency to roll in the grass every time I bring him to a walk... I'll have to wash him quickly before school... haha...

That wasn't bad, it seemed to satisfy Logan for now. Patton then stopped petting the dog and looked at Virgil.

- Oh, I think I've seen you before, you go to the same school as us, right?

Virgil didn't like the sudden attention to him, but it was inevitable if he wanted to befriend Patton.

- Yup...

Patton was staring at Virgil, pondering where he had seen him.

- I think we have a class together... History, right?

- Yup... You sure have a good memory, haha...

Virgil thought it was enough social interactions for now. He pretended to look at his watch.

- I should head home, otherwise I won't have enough time to take care of my dog and will be late for school. It was nice meeting you guys.

Patton smiled widely at Virgil.

- Yess, it was nice!

He petted the dog one last time.

- Goodbye Prince! And goodbye to you as well... hum...

-... Virgil, my name is Virgil.

- Right, right! See you soon at school, Virgil!

They then continued their walk toward the school. Virgil went back to where he had found the dog, silently cheering. The first step of his plan was a success. The first contact was established.

1087 words