Chapter two

Chapter two

Adelaide

Getting ready for court was probably something I despised most about being a princess. When court was called to order and I was being presented, I needed to look my utmost best and seem as though I am fit to rule. If I came with knots in my hair and sleep in my eyes no one would take me seriously.

My handmaidens, Eva and Alice were both hurrying around me, scrubbing my back, washing my hair and picking out my clothes. Bathing was probably my favourite thing to do, the thing I loved most doing. The feeling of having someone wash your hair was my absolute favourite. After my bath, which ended way to soon, Eva pulled out one of my most cherished dress.

It was a simple shamrock green satin dress with a gold sequin embellishments in the style of the popular trinity knot. The dress had a small train to it, nothing too extravagant. It was corseted at the back with long hand fasting sleeves. The second part of the sleeve though was semi through chiffon material, which was extremely hard to get and very expensive. That along with my leather belt with my sheath and sword, my lion sigil necklace and my house cloak and I was ready.

"Oh m'lady, before I forget to tell you, a box arrived for you today with a gift inside." Eva quickly rushed back to my desk as I put on my leather hunting boots on. Alice gave me a look and I shrugged. "What? No one is going to be looking at my feet." I teased and she rolled her eyes up at me as Eva came back with the box.

Eva was the youngest, two years younger than myself. Sometimes when Eva spoke, she reminded me of a mouse, a little grey mouse who was frightened of the whole world and needed protecting. She had mousy blonde hair that was thin and long but it was always tied in a proper manner, always up. Her eyes were big and grey and her body was so thin it was a wonder she didn't get blown away in the wind.

Alice however was an older women, in her thirties who was plumped, curvy and proud of it. Her breasts were there sizes of half a watermelon each and she loved to make Eva go red with dirty remarks and stories she'd heard from women who worked at the pleasure houses. She had long black hair and ivory skin. Her eyes were blue and full of teases, so they balanced each other out.

Opening the box I saw straws of hay. Confused, I dug through the hay to find a single lions tooth that had been put onto a necklace chain. On the side there was a blank piece of paper with a drawing of a farm and a lion.

I smiled and showed the girls my gift. Of course they both knew about Hunter and big surprise that Alice disapproved of him, not that it matter. I'd sworn them to secrecy years ago.

Putting the necklace with the lions tooth on behind my sigil I felt ready to go to court, although I already knew what it was about. Walking through the halls, wearing these clothes, I had to act the part. Usually I'd be running down these halls, bumping into people and laughing. When I had to be the princess though, I held my head high like a proud lion and watched as everyone who saw me bowed and curtseyed to me.

Walking to the Throne room, I saw the Miele brothers standing at the doors which were shut. Both brothers had blonde hair and blue eyes and sometimes I didn't know which one was which. Unless they were holding their swords because Robert was right handed and Thomas left handed.

Both boys grabbing the door handle, they opened it up and as per usual I was not only late but willing to make a grand entrance.

"Presenting to the Court, Princess Adelaide Braxton, the first of her name. And her handmaidens, Lady Eva Milford and Lady Alice Gladstone."

The room was already filled with people wishing to see the King and Queen, so when I walked right through them, they parted like a boat sailing through a river. Everyone bent the knee before me and I kept my face neutral like my teachers had all taught me. Best thing to do is to be neutral and not show emotion when it came to dealing with the commoners because if you got to friendly and one day you were needed to judge them, it could be harder on you than it is for them.