Chapter thirteen

Chapter thirteen

Adelaide - Three weeks past

"You would have made a fine Dragon-Rider Arna." The Dragon-Master bowes to me and I smile at him, throwing myself at him and hugging him tightly. I can feel his hesitation before he pats my shoulder awkwardly.

"You are a fine Dragon-Master, the finest I've ever met!" I laugh heartedly back and he rolls his eyes at me.

"I'm the only one you've met."

"Take the compliment Daaro!" I loop my arm through his and look down at the dragon cage. "The Gods know I'll miss these creatures." I run my fingers through the cage and they squawk at me, flapping their mighty wings and bashing their tails.

"I know you will, but I believe Tahaeyns has been speaking with the fairy queen and they are giving you a gift that'll keep you occupied." He says mysteriously and I sigh.

"I hope it's my horse." I mutter as we begin to walk back to the feast room.

After many weeks of training, I know it is now time to return home. I've learnt so much and after the first few days of getting the shit kicked through me, I began to hold my own and with the help of Tahaeyns special bath, I've gotten stronger and faster. I even was able to take a couple of true born Dragon-Riders down in a fight in hand to hand combat. As usual Tahaeyns has decided to throw a huge going away feast in my honour.

Thorunn has been busy teaching Hugh to master his gifts and bend the elements and slowly he has gotten there. There have been many nights though where he has come home frustrated and anger but Thorunn is patient and has helped him through many challenges.

Lukas is still Lukas, he has been training with some of the older Dragon-Riders and has slimmed down due to the intensity of the training. He was still big but not as big and beefy as the other knights of the Capital were. He was handsome and charming and no doubt would make a wonderful match with some other bride to be.

As for Hugh and I, well we were as married as you can get without saying your vows before the Gods. The night of our engagement was a night of celebrations... So to speak. Thankfully Thorunn and Lukas were not in our room.

I was happy, blissfully and ignorantly happy. I was a full bloomed women now and I was engaged to a wonderful man.

Who still did not know the truth of the prophecy.

I tried to tell him, so many times but whenever I brought the looming battle or Bellatrix his words would paint pretty pictures of the future, our life that was to come and I melted and blushed at all the pretty things I wished for. Knowing it wasn't true.

I felt sick with guilt but if I were to say something now I know that he will prevent me from the fight and I will not hide from my fate. I cannot and will not do that to my people.

"You are worried Arna." It wasn't a question Daaro asked, more of a truthful statement. I sighed and he chuckled, "If you are really worried about your horse-"

"It's not my horse Daaro, it's a secret I'm keeping from Hugh. The guilt and the weight is crushing me."

"Then tell him. He can handle it, he is a Child of the Forest."

"I can't, it would make things complicated and he wouldn't let me fight-"

"I think give him the benefit of the doubt young one," Daaro interrupted, "he is a true Child of the Forest. He worships the ground you walk on because you and him are made for each other. Listen to your feelings, if you want to tell him do so. If not, then wait for a better moment. But secrets are bad for the soul, the mind and will weigh heavily on you." He spoke wisely and I nodded in thanks.