Chapter fourteen

Chapter fourteen

Hugh

I woke up suddenly, the bed feeling empty and cold. I rolled over, mumbling Adelaide's name... Tonfind her not there. Groggy and half asleep, I sat up rubbing my eyes as I looked around the room and the first thing I saw was that all of her gear was gone and she was no where to be seen.

I felt wide awake now as I shot out of bed and put my clothes on. Not bothering with shoes, I sprinted through the caves as best as I could without running into anyone. I kept running until I reached the main dining hall. I knew Tahaeyns wouldn't be able to sleep tonight, she was too wired up about her Khan being taken.

"Khatun Tahaeyns!" I screamed as I burst through the doors and there she was, surrounded by her generals. She looked up at me, holding a piece of coloured rock in her hand, twirling it between her fingers.

"What can I do for you Hugh?" She asked almost impatiently as she looked down at her map, undecided where to place the coloured rock.

Panting I blurted out, "Adelaide's gone."

"Gone?" Her eyes were wide when she shot up and I nodded, "What do you mean gone!"

"She's not here, all her gear isn't in our room. She's no where to be seen, I just know. I woke up because she left, she couldn't have gotten far. We need to catch her."

"She has a griffin and a head start, fuck!" She screamed, throwing the coloured rock, "General, assemble our warriors and prepare to leave. Send trackers to follow the princess, we know where she is going but we don't know what she is doing. Hugh, get Lukas to the lake and prepare to leave as well. We'll get her don't worry Hugh." She walked down from the stage and patted my shoulder, "Who knows? She might've not even left yet."

"Adelaide's griffin is gone Khatun!" Called out through the door and she groaned, nodding in thanks for the information.

"So much for luck." I whispered and Tahaeyns chuckled before shaking her head.

"We don't believe in luck, we believe that everything happens for a reason. The Great Rider wants us to attack now, so we will to save our Khan and to save your princess. Now go get the others, we are leaving."

I nodded once and I began running through the caves, looking for Lukas. It wasn't hard to find him, considering how much noise was echoing through the halls now that everyone was awake.

It didn't take us long to get ready since we were all expected to pack the night before. Lukas was shooting off curse words every chance. We all raced down to the lake at the bottom of the cave and Henla found us, tears in her eyes.

"Don't worry, I'm sure Adelaide is okay." I comforted Henla and she looked at me like I'd spoken a different language. Her brother and mother came up behind her, deep in discussion before nodding to us.

"She's crying because she and all the other to-be-Dragon-Riders can't come. They aren't trained enough." Galaenyx snickered at his sister and she pocked her tongue out of him, her hands hovering towards her knife.

"Enough of this fighting!" Tahaeyns roared and they both shut up, Henla quickly wiping her nose on her arm, "You three are to ride with Galaenyx and myself. We are about to leave so follow me and Henla my sweet..." She squatted down and got down to her level, "If I hear that you've snuck onto a dragon and come with us, you'll just wish you a hadn't." She warned Henla and she nodded with a sad expression on her face, "I love you." She kissed her forehead and Henla stomped off into the caves.

"Children right?" I muttered to her and she sighed nodding. Thinking of children made me think of Adelaide and again I cursed her for leaving. I knew she was just trying to do the right thing but she promised me.